It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Railroaders Museum of Altoona
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:15 pm 

These folks, like Rodney Dangerfield, "Just don't get no respect". The main building is loaded with small artifacts of what was an incredibly complex railroad company, and the inviting face is top quality museum work. The K4s mockups are fantastic. Yet for all they have preserved, saved, and endeavor to accomplish, the school yard bullies can't wait to ambush them and steal their glasses and milk money.

Yes, paint and body work are currently in demand and short supply, but for a collection dedicated to a railroad that built eastern America, this is superb.

Entrance and parking area. Part of Altoona renewal.

K4s mockup. I did a double take on this.

Similar to the real cab and backhead in Chicago.

Absolutely engaging.

Queen Mary flat rescued and turned into a functional piece of equipment. Brilliant!

N5 caboose.

N5 interior, pre-season.

I1sa tender, turned auxiliary water car. Glad one was saved!

GG1 outdoors until shop is completed.

Caught while being prepped for a re-paint.

"Broadway Limited" ob, "Mountain View".

"Mountain View", again.

Boat tail ob.

Tank loco, "Nancy".

K4s "book ends". The smokebox is the old item, not sure of the backhead.

The tender "which must not be named". My advice would be to get this scraped and painted and moved into a prominent location. It shows progress on the project for which the group has been (rightly or wrongly) severely rebuked.

Great catch is this wreck train, although it is entirely ex-NYC in legacy, it is functional and includes some classic pieces from which to tell the RR story. By that, I mean how a failing New York Central was forced to beg inclusion into a greater Pennsylvania Railroad :-) .

Post subject: Re: Railroaders Museum of Altoona
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:22 pm 

Very interesting little collection they have there, I wish them luck in their pursuit of protecting and restoring their equipment (so sad to see a GG1 in such condition). I'm incredibly impressed with those front end and back head mockups, I can only imagine just how awesome they must be in person.

Is that a mechanical stoker I see there in the cab diorama? I was unaware that the K4's were equipped with them, but I guess it would make sense considering the locomotive's common usage on crack passenger specials.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:48 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
Great catch is this wreck train, although it is entirely ex-NYC in legacy, it is functional and includes some classic pieces from which to tell the RR story. By that, I mean how a failing New York Central was forced to beg inclusion into a greater Pennsylvania Railroad :-) .

Nice report, looks like they've made progress, which is good. Also glad to see they are getting support from NS employees, which should be helpful.

Though it is hard to believe that the "Mountain View" is starting to look shappy, especially considering about 8 years ago, it was stored indoors before going to Altoona, and I believe at one time was Amtrak certified.

While I realize your comment was in jest, I think the NYC was the financially stronger of the two railroads. Sure, the PRR reported that it was making money, but only through accounting trickery.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:43 pm 

absolutely tongue-in-cheek,David. I'm a Pennsy guy, and Pennsy guys are known to be fanatics, or at least "nuts".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:35 pm 

The heavyweight diner in the first photo is #4468, Class D78D.

wilkinsd wrote:
The "Mountain View"...I believe at one time was Amtrak certified.

Broadway Limited 2MR-1DB sleeper 25 seat buffet lounge observation #8419 Mountain View (P-S, Lot #6792, Plan #4133, 1949, Class POS21) sold in 1968 to High Iron Company, later to private ownership #800419. Note the 480V AC HEP cables/connectors (red) and COMM connectors (blue), no MU connectors for push-pull (black).

Round end observation is Spirit of St. Louis 2DR-1C-1DB sleeper 22 seat buffet lounge observation #8113 Samuel Vaughn Merrick (P-S, Lot #6549, Plan #4081, 1938, Class POS211A) originally named Jacks Narrows, renamed Wake Island in 1942 renamed Samuel Vaughn Merrick in 1949 painted UP Armour Yellow 1953-1955 painted GN Green & Orange 1955-1956 redesignated parlor #7153 in 1957 sold in 1961 to James Butterworth-Butterworth Tours and renamed The Reveler, leased to CRI&P.

Sources:

1. "Streamliner Cars Volume One: Pullman Standard" by W. David Randall (RPC Publications, 1981)

2. Tom Madden's Pullman Project CCR database: http://pullmanproject.com/Database.htm

3. PRR passenger car diagrams: http://prr.railfan.net/diagrams/PRRdiagrams.html?sel=pass&sz=sm&fr=

4. Don Strack's UP passenger car roster pages: http://utahrails.net/pass/pass-index.php

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:27 am 

Rainier Rails wrote:
Round end observation is Spirit of St. Louis 2DR-1C-1DB sleeper 22 seat buffet lounge observation #8113 Samuel Vaughn Merrick (P-S, Lot #6549, Plan #4081, 1938, Class POS211A) originally named Jacks Narrows, renamed Wake Island in 1942 renamed Samuel Vaughn Merrick in 1949 painted UP Armour Yellow 1953-1955 painted GN Green & Orange 1955-1956 redesignated parlor #7153 in 1957 sold in 1961 to James Butterworth-Butterworth Tours and renamed The Reveler, leased to CRI&P.

Picture of the Samuel Vaughn Merrick as Butterworth Tours The Reveler in Chicago, August 1973: http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=749337 (Bruno Berzins photo, Jerry LaBoda collection)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:22 pm 

Great post Richard - thanks. Good to see an upbeat story on the Museum in Altoona.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:04 am 

The displays inside the museum are first rate and do a great job telling the story of the community and its relationship with the PRR.

Let's hope that someday it gets decent management, heals its relationship with NS and makes use of its great potential.

Nothing is impossible...but getting the 1361 restored to mainline shape is close.

IMHO-Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:20 pm 

So Ross, any favorite memories of the Mountain View that you'd be willing to share? I'm sure that car has to hold a special place for you. In many ways, for those of us who grew up watching you conquer the world on our television thanks to Sunday River, that car is as synonymous with your adventures as any of your steam friends.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:11 am 

Yes, lots and lots of fond memories on that car which was always my second favorite ( to the Independence) and carried me many miles in style and comfort.

I'd guess my favorite memory of all was the day I spent riding in the observation room with actor John Wayne and a room full of reporters on our way into Salt Lake City with the GSCL. The Duke was a great guy and after his third triple Jack Daniels he became quite animated about his love of trains and steam in particular. When a reporter for the Christian Science Monitor asked him if he thought drinking whiskey at 10:30am was good for his health he relied that " its gotten me this far and besides it give me the patience to answer silly questions like yours". That was her last question.

He and I made a wager then on his new movie True Grit which he premiered the night we arrived in Salt Lake. I bet he'd win an Oscar and he said no he wouldn't as his anti gay stance would keep him out. The bet was if I won he was to give me his Stetson hat worn in the movie and if he won I was to take he and Mrs. Wayne to dinner at his favorite NYC restaurant Lutesse ( at that time it cost $ 100/plate). He did win the Oscar and kept his word by sending me the autographed hat which is one of my treasured keep sakes.

It is a great car and hopefully someday will get restored to service.

Thanks for asking. Ross Rowland