It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1361 project Hopefully Steam by the end of the year
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:35 pm 

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1535577_1409687952609520_403803603_n.jpg

Wonder who their expert is this time?
I am not affiliated with this project, nor do I support the project without a better display of transparency of where my taxpayer dollar went in the past, too much secrecy and the lack of accountability for past mistakes, scares me that history may repeat itself.
Mike Tillger

Last edited by Mike Tillger on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Here we go again! 1361 project Steam by the end of the
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:37 pm 

My only response: http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploa ... -horse.gif

Post subject: Re: 1361 project Hopefully Steam by the end of the year
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:12 pm 

Links talk, pics walk... why does the date look cut and pasted?

I'd support the project - send it to Strasburg.

BTW - long ago, the last word was that PRR #1361 would be
restored to operate at reduced boiler pressures allowing limited
speeds like 20 to 30 mph.

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:45 pm 

So how much money is being pumped into this hopefully successful project, and what shape is her boiler in, and congrats to the guys in Altoona. I really hope to see steam on the gauge in the next year or so.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:48 pm 

According to the newspaper article the boiler is inspected and ready for assembly onto the frame. So the boiler work was done while the boiler was stored at the EBT.
Right, sure.
Send the boiler and frame and everything else on the 1361 to Strasburg, have them do the work, and send it home under its own steam. Otherwise, if this engine ever runs again, even at reduced pressure, I'll be amazed.

Alan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:01 pm 

Re the boiler. "The boiler is inspectedand ready for assembly onto the main frame for boiler work.

1. inspected. Not necessarily approved

2. onto the main frame for boiler work. We understand more boiler work is needed, but it sure seems easier to do before going back on the frame.

Of course all of this could be lost in the reporter's translation.

Let's hope something good comes out of this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:43 pm 

You know what? Let's give them our best wishes, support it if you care to, and let the people who are currently in charge do what they need to. Knocking them down, expressing your doubt, won't help or hinder what happens. If 1361 is assembled into the full configuration of a PRR K4s once again, I'll be happy. If she can run again, I'll be delighted.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:51 pm 

I did a search at Altoona Mirror for the date of the article and also by authors name and there is no story about the K4 on January 9, 2014.

Moderators take note.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:58 pm 

This is a legitimate story, I have contacted a museum board member and he confirmed the essence of the article. It is not posted on the paper's website.

Mike Tillger

Post subject: Re: Here we go again! 1361 project Steam by the end of the
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:06 pm 

Mgoldman wrote:
Links talk, pics walk... why does the date look cut and pasted?

I'd support the project - send it to Strasburg.

BTW - long ago, the last word was that PRR #1361 would be
restored to operate at reduced boiler pressures allowing limited
speeds like 20 to 30 mph.

/Mitch

someone took the date from the newspaper, cut the article from the newspaper same date, and aligned it to the article to clarify the date and scanned it all together.
cut and paste, literally, nothing derogitory here.

What it sounds like they've been busy making a "home" for the engine first, then get the engine together, readying for final work (inspected to make sure parts fit together)
not talking about boiler final inspections, that aughta be later. This is the gist I am getting from all this. it sounds like they are not trying to run the engine off to have boiler work done. They may want to stay on the engine themselves and make sure everything would be correctly done with their overseeing the work the full way.
This what I seem to gather from the way they have been working.

It sounds like they have had a plan all along for the engine, we just are not being put to privvy about it.

Probably when the engine is getting near finish we may be hearing all kinds of hurrays, but the group probably did not want a lot of attention while they work on projects.

When 765 was near back to operating the excitement was gearing up for the engine, now see what. Be patient.

cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:51 pm 

I'm just impressed that work apparently has been moving along on it since it left Steamtown. If they do manage to fire her up this year, it truly will be the year of steam. More power to them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:57 pm 

This seems to be exerts of a disjointed press release for two separate issues.

Part public relations ploy, part self serving for Larry Salone and ARRM, and maybe a half truth. And no investigative journalism.

Seems as as though the grant expired on several occasions and needed to be reauthorized for the fiscal year.

It usually takes a minimum of eighteen to thirty months for "just released" grant monies to go through the authorization process, and the selection of a contractor is part of the process, not one just "hanging around" waiting for the funds to be released as the article intimates.

The citizens of Pennsylvania are the ones footing the bill for 1361 and have every right to be "privy" on the funds and rebuilding process of the K4.

The gauntlet has been thrown by Larry Salone and ARRM for the engine to steam this year. Time to stand and deliver, or start writing your mea culpa.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:17 pm 

I think I'd agree with the direction that dinwitty is going in... I'm no expert, but I've had plenty of lessons in "loose lips sink ships". Besides, if you release the actual plan before you're ready, you could torpedo the whole of the project. (In hindsight, I could argue that I and some others who I've worked with in the past are all guilty of such action)

We know that Altoona said they had finalized a new plan a few years ago, but assuming I was in charge and had the necessary experience, I wouldn't dream of releasing that plan to the public! Keep the goal there, but give small hints of actual progress (like moving the boiler to the EBT for inspection). If that plan came out or was leaked, the pounding they'd be given throughout the internet and public discussions in the niche fields of the press could scare away donors and make the goal nearly impossible to attain.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:30 pm 

And who paid for that plan?

The citizens of Pennsylvania, and in hindsight of the travesties associated with the project, they have every right to demand transparency with plans and how their tax monies are being spent.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:59 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Those insisting that 1361 be sent to Strasburg for repair are reminded that steam repair work at Strasburg is not free or even cheap, and that barring any massive shipment of certified cash accompanying this loco, it would most likely join the shop queue somewhere after, say, Canadian Pacific 4-6-0 972......

..... which arrived for an overhaul in December 1986, and is STILL awaiting it even after the railroad took formal possession of it in 1995.