It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WANTED: Freight Janney coupler knuckle.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:47 pm 

I am looking for the knuckle to a Freight car Janney coupler. It says R.E. Janney on the coupler which seems odd but none the less we need a knuckle. A simplex knuckle looks close, and does fit with a knuckle pin but will not close. Please look at the photo's for reference. If you have one that might fit I have other knuckles to trade. You can P.M. me or email direct at jefftaylor@crrm.org

Attachments:
janney2.jpg
janney2.jpg [ 118.61 KiB | Viewed 880 times ]
janney1.jpg
janney1.jpg [ 145.85 KiB | Viewed 880 times ]

Post subject: Re: WANTED: Freight Janney coupler knuckle.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:04 pm 

I think freight Janney's are a bit rare. In my years in Chama I only saw a handful, and that included one on the high side gondola we used as an open car on the passenger train.

Post subject: Re: WANTED: Freight Janney coupler knuckle.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:11 am 

You should check that coupler for all casting marks, dates, etc.. on the underside also. If the Janney was like every other coupler, they changed rapidly and what worked on one version might not work on the next. Look up the rebuild history of that car (or that car series) and maybe you can get a likely date of when that coupler replaced a link & pin. It looks like its 1878-1908 era and might have been the original glad hand coupler on that car after a link & pin SAM's, etc.. was removed, likely during a rebuild. Its probably an MCB-5 contour (preceded the MCB -10 contour) .

Does it have a "kick" mechanism built onto the lifter? It could be designed onto the knuckle so you might not see it until you find that knuckle.

Get some more photos, sides, bottom, (the top front of that shank has some writing on it) etc.. especially of any protrusions of the knuckle "pulling lugs" that protrude outside the wall of the coupler body, (like the Tower couplers) and that might pin point the year and version of the knuckle you need.

Good luck.

Our "paper" archives will be the future railfans only hope. We (yes you too!) should endeavor to preserve all the info needed to allow them 100% accuracy in the building of their recreations.