It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stockcars
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 1999 10:27 pm 

<P>Greetings all!<p>I remember some time ago, we had a discussion of wooden stock cars. I was wondering how many currently exist? Are they as rare as they seem? Can they be dated by their construction (ie steel bracking was built between such and such while cars with wood bracing were built between such and such, etc.). Are there any sitting derelict? Also, are there any good online or paper resources that may provide some info.?<p>Thanks all,<br>Gerald<br>

hrrhs@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Stockcars
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 1999 2:52 am 

<P>Several years ago I drove across Montana from Billings to Glacier and was struck by the great number of wooden stock car bodies still in existance on farms and in other rural settings. I had written an op-ed piece for TRAINS (which went unpublished) suggesting that the railfan (NRHS for instance) community undertake a nationwide inventory of all existing non-active rolling stock. A data base could be created and then those who were interested in trying to obtain and then preserving pieces in which they might have an interest would know what was available,<br>

v-scarpitti@worldnet.att.net

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 1999 2:48 am 

<P>I grew up in Montana and at that time there were lots of these cars. However, compared with other types, it would seem relatively simple to replicate these cars, as the number of sizes etc. was small compared other more common cars.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 1999 10:55 am 

<P>Orange Empire Railway Museum recently released a reprint of the 1892 book, Railway Car Construction. Chapter VI details stock car body construction, double-deck stock cars, and side and end door construction. The book can be obtained from the Museum by mail for $24.95 plus shipping. It's full of other cool stuff too.

Orange Empire Railway Museum
wyld@oc-net.com