It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pearl Brewery to Close
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 1999 5:20 pm 

I just heard that the Pearl Brewery in San Antonio will close in a couple of months, taking with it the Texas Transportation Company which switches cars between the plant and the SP interchange using a couple of electric locomotives. Can anybody confirm (or hopefully deny) this rumor?<br>

Charlesebrown@webtv.net

Post subject: Re: Pearl Brewery to Close
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 1999 7:39 pm 

I will miss the Pearl Beer!<br>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 1999 12:22 pm 

Are there any plans to save the operation as a heritage trolley line? I'm sure one of the Texas traction outfits would like to get the freight motors.<br>

jftrolley@aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 1999 4:16 pm 

Yeah, we sure would like to get the TE back.<br>

tnold@bigfoot.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 1999 11:21 am 

<br>Is there any chance of having a farewell party where both locomotives could be run for the benefit of us railfans? Maybe the last weekend before closure? And maybe have cab rides (okay okay I know that's pushing it)?<br>

Charlesebrown@webtv.net

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 1999 11:57 pm 

What ever happened to San Antonio car 300, which i believe ran on this track in the 1980's? And if the brewery were to close and become a new loft condominium complex, would it make any sense to turn the line into a permenant historic fixture or even a part of the transit system?<p>O. Anderson<br>

oanderso@uiuc.edu

Post subject: Re: San Antonio car 300
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 9:49 pm 

This car was for several years at Gales Creek, Oregon. Over a year ago the City of Astoria, Oregon got a long term lease from its owner, the San Antonio Museum of Art. My last information is that it is inside a votech school/college in Astoia being restored. They plan on running it in the future with a generator car on the former BN line which the city owns.<br>

garyland@stoneconsulting.com

Post subject: Re: San Antonio car 300
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 9:26 pm 

<br>While we're on the subject, does anybody know anything about the San Antonio Car Company? According to Andrew Young's Veteran & Vintage Transit, they did the restoration of #300 and they also have 3 other San Antonio streetcar bodies and a horsecar. <p>Also, if memory serves me (which it seldom does these days), wasn't #300 restored using the body of another car (#309?) with parts & equipment transferred from the original #300? If so, what happened to the original body of #300?<br>

Charlesebrown@webtv.net