It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RE: Ballard of John Axon
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:58 am 

The lead-in for the brief about the Ballard of John Axon is very appropriate. Within my collection I have a tattered and well-worn Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Fireman magazine printed in 1908.<p>I have used the information contained within its grease stained pale green cover on numerous occasions to help illustrate not only the history of our railroads but more importantly the people who worked railroads and the unique culture that they created while performing an job that at one time was considered to be one of the most dangerous occupations.<br> <br>Buried near the back of this 92-year-old publication is a list of benefit payouts to surviving beneficiaries and members of the Brotherhood due to death or injury. Scalded, crushed, runover are some of the most prevalent causes for loss of life. While that information in itself is sobering the list of injuries and particularly loss of limbs is appalling. This fact is highlighted by the considerable number of advertisements for artificial limbs.<p>I have never counted the number of claims but it is considerable especially when one realizes that these figures are only for what appears to be the previous 3 to 6 month period.<p>We owe at lot to these people. If you have a father, grandfather or great grandfather who worked the rails give them a firm handshake and thank them. More importantly, listen closely as they tell their story.<p><br><br>

TCHJJJJ@AOL.COM