It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sacramento shops
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:46 pm 

Yesterday, I got a tour of the buildings in the center of the Sacramento Shops complex. Kyle Watt,
Historican at the CA State Railroad Museum showed a group of us around.

The place is amazing. The older building which dates from 1869 is an emense space with cast iron structure running in all directions.

The second building is a wooden structure roof and modernized cira 1917 cement walls.

One really interesting part is the 100 foot turntable, a soon to be operational transfer table and s Diesel era drop table all in the same building

To be many years before the Museum of Railroad Technology opens; but the Shop for the current museum is working now. An SP Diesel was on the drop table and a KATY passenger car was being overhauled for the museum's Sacramento Southern Railroad.

ted_miles@nps.gov

Post subject: Re: Sacramento shops
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:08 pm 

Ted,

Which SP diesel was it? 6051?
Also how is the transfer table coming along, last time I was down there it was still in pieces out on the flatcars.

-=Andrew=-

abrandon@foothill.net

Post subject: Re: Sacramento shops
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:23 pm 

Andrew,

The transfer table is complete. They have copper wire laid out for the power lines.

My fellow Western Railway Museum volunteers are doing the set up. The table is supposed to operate in a couple of months.

Sorry I did not get the Diesel number. It is black and orange. I was too busy looking at steam engines; like the last survivor of the Northwestern Pacific Railroad fleet.

ted_miles@nps.gov