It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eldorado County NG?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:53 am 

Here's one project I didn't know about. Apparently a plan to start a narrow gauge operation near Placerville, CA. Any readers know more about this one?

http://www.mtdemocrat.com/news/loco012199.shtml
ryarger@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: Eldorado County NG?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:25 pm 

I think this is a project called the Canyon Creek Narrow Gauge Railway, intending to reactivate the Pino Grande RR of the Michigan-California Lumber Co. The Rodgers loco is from the West Side. They are based in Georgetown, and are a separate project from the rebuilding of the Mich-Cal shay at the Placer fairgrounds. Last I heard is that the shay project is running out of steam. I'll need to see both of these myself to verify!

> Here's one project I didn't know about.
> Apparently a plan to start a narrow gauge
> operation near Placerville, CA. Any readers
> know more about this one?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:32 am 

> I think this is a project called the Canyon
> Creek Narrow Gauge Railway, intending to
> reactivate the Pino Grande RR of the
> Michigan-California Lumber Co. The Rodgers
> loco is from the West Side. They are based
> in Georgetown, and are a separate project
> from the rebuilding of the Mich-Cal shay at
> the Placer fairgrounds. Last I heard is that
> the shay project is running out of steam.
> I'll need to see both of these myself to
> verify!

I seem to remember something about an organization in El Dorado County (in which Placerville is located) that was involved with the Shay project.

Several year ago four sets of iron castings were made using the patterns used for the iron work of the Carson City (Nevada State RR Museum) wooden turntable. One set was used by Orange Empire to build its 3'-gauge wooden turntable. Another set was used to build the turntable located at Folsom. The other two sets, I believe, were obtained by an organization related to the El Dorado Historical Society and working on the Shay locomotive.

Brian Norden

bnorden49@earthlink.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:49 pm 

I'm sorry for my mix-up, maybe I was thinking of the SP 4-6-0 at the Placer Fairgrounds in Roseville. The Eldorado County Historical Society in PLACERville is restoring a Diamond and Caldor Shay. I had heard that they wanted to build track west to meet the Folsom group building from the east. I wonder if their golden spike might ever happen, with that area being one of the fastest developing suburban areas in the country at this time. The Folsom turntable is completed, dual gauge, and is in the middle of a community parking lot. I need to learn more about that group as well.

On their roster at the link below is a Camino, Cable and Northern motorcar. Isn't this piece from the West Side? What exactly was the CC&N anyway? I saw somewhere that it was located in Roseville.

Thanks!

> I seem to remember something about an
> organization in El Dorado County (in which
> Placerville is located) that was involved
> with the Shay project.

> Several year ago four sets of iron castings
> were made using the patterns used for the
> iron work of the Carson City (Nevada State
> RR Museum) wooden turntable. One set was
> used by Orange Empire to build its 3'-gauge
> wooden turntable. Another set was used to
> build the turntable located at Folsom. The
> other two sets, I believe, were obtained by
> an organization related to the El Dorado
> Historical Society and working on the Shay
> locomotive.

> Brian Norden

Eldorado County Museum Railroad collection

Post subject: Camino Cable & Northern
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:42 pm 

> I'm sorry for my mix-up, maybe I was
> thinking of the SP 4-6-0 at the Placer
> Fairgrounds in Roseville. The Eldorado
> County Historical Society in PLACERville is
> restoring a Diamond and Caldor Shay. I had
> heard that they wanted to build track west
> to meet the Folsom group building from the
> east. I wonder if their golden spike might
> ever happen, with that area being one of the
> fastest developing suburban areas in the
> country at this time. The Folsom turntable
> is completed, dual gauge, and is in the
> middle of a community parking lot. I need to
> learn more about that group as well.

> On their roster at the link below is a
> Camino, Cable and Northern motorcar. Isn't
> this piece from the West Side? What exactly
> was the CC&N anyway? I saw somewhere
> that it was located in Roseville.

Yes, you've got to be careful. Placerville is not in Placer county. I heard a story about someone out of Sacramento that was going to a meeting with Placer county officials and went to the wrong county seat.

The Camino Cable & Northern was an operation by Hal Wilminder (and others?) out of Camino on the old grade of the California Michigan. I had the opporunity to ride the train when I was in my teens while on a family vacation -- gads that was years ago!

After this operation shut down some of the equipment went back to the Huckleberry in Flint, Michigan. Other equipment went to such places as Georgetown Loop. A few items, as a few years ago, were located at a truck storage yard in the Roseville area.

Brian Norden

bnorden49@earthlink.net

Post subject: Re: Camino Cable & Northern
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:57 am 

There are several proposed or semi active projects in the area

The El Dorado County Historical Society has a collection, including Diamond and Caldor Shay 4, their railcar (at one time on the CC&N) and the Porter from the Mich-Cal, along with various West Side Equipment. They are making slow progress on the shay, and are working on a museum site (they are currently located at the County Fairgrounds)

The original Georgetown project is a private or semi private project by a group of railfans. They have the skills needed, and some equipment, but not the money.

There is a privately owned collection of West Side Lumber Co equipment in the area

There are several turntable projects including one in Placerville (proposed) and one in Folsom (completed)

http://spcrr.org
hees@ix.netcom.com