It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LIRR commuter coaches for sale
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:10 pm 

There is a large quantity of Long Island commuter coaches for sale thru various brokers.

1. Who actually owns these cars?

2. Are they any good for a tourist RR?

3. Why have none been sold after so long? What is wrong with them?

4. Price is said to be around $25,000 w/diesel generator and toilets, maybe 5,000 less for plain cars. Good price?

Old Time Trains
oldtimetrains@rrmail.com

Post subject: Re: LIRR commuter coaches for sale
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:14 pm 

> 1. Who actually owns these cars?

A consortium which includes Ken Bitten and/or other former operators of the Northern Central Railway and the stillborn Indian Head (Md.) dinner train operation.

> 2. Are they any good for a tourist RR?

It depends. As is, definitely not--the windows are totally opaqued plastic (akin to the old "Lexan Ladies" of PRR MP54 fame); the construction of the cars is as starkly "a box on wheels" as anything you are ever likely to see (the appearance mimics a toy train car with trucks bolted under the ends--those who know them will know what I mean); and the interiors are high-density commuter seating in most of the cars.

On the other hand, I have seen a pair of these cars completely reconstructed by a competent shop of my acquaintance; I must confess that I did not recognize them as former LIRR cars at first glance. So it is possible to rehabilitate these cars into something acceptable.

> 3. Why have none been sold after so long?
> What is wrong with them?

The former LIRR cars these cars replaced were known as "Ping-Pong" cars for their rough riding that bounced their riders mercilessly; I have been told by those who presume to know that these cars are no better. Of course, how many excursion lines operate at commuter-train speeds? Also, I might ask specifically who you expect to purchase the cars. I can think of very few operations looking for metal boxes on wheels, as opposed to, say, open-window steam coaches or first-class diners.

> 4. Price is said to be around $25,000
> w/diesel generator and toilets, maybe 5,000
> less for plain cars. Good price?

Factor in window replacement, refitting the interiors, cosmetic rehabs, etc.

lner4472@bcpl.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:31 am 

Aside from the windows and the leaks in the window frames ..

1. for our operation they are a good fit. Peak loading is a zillion kids on night halloween trips and they handle it well ... the rest of the runs are an hour so the seats aren't bad. Small leaks in the air conditioning require work but so far have not beeen insurmountable. Sure is nice to be cooled off for the fair runs in August.

2. on our line the cars are smooth riders (25mph max) and in fact ride better then some day coaches we have leased.

3. we had the bolsters, trucks and frames inspected for cracking and so far no problems.

4. heavy corrosion is taking its toll; heaved door tracks, ends in sorry shape etc. Water is leaking in around the window frames resulting in sill and side plating corrosion. LIRR bondoed the holes so you can't tell the true extent of damage but there ain't much under it. We had at least one side plate pop loose when the fitting finally rotted out under the bondo. After a rain or a heavy condensation day you can see water running out between the sill and side plating ...yet the interiors are not moldy smelling ...gotta make sure you reseal the windows.

5. MG sets tend to suffer from patch type repairs with generators separating from engines .. so far promised replacement parts have not arrived.

6. For 25K I would expect one heck of a car with none of the conditions mentioned above! You definitely have to throw money at these things.

lamontdc@adelphia.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:51 am 

Apart from the comments above, there have been very many of them sold. There are also very many of them which were retired. Where did the idea that none have sold come from? To my understanding over 100 have been resold to new homes.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:03 pm 

> Apart from the comments above, there have
> been very many of them sold. There are also
> very many of them which were retired. Where
> did the idea that none have sold come from?
> To my understanding over 100 have been
> resold to new homes.

> Dave

I know of two shortlines in NJ that acquired these cars. NYS&W picked up several for their excursion trains. The New York & Greenwood Lake Railway got one last year though its in rough shape and will need major work.