It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Friends of CTSRR appoint President and CEO
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:04 pm 

The Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc., announced today the appointment of Brian A. Shoup as its president and chief executive officer. He succeeds Terri Shaw, who announced her retirement last fall.

Mr. Shoup brings with him 22 years of experience as a chief executive of nonprofit corporations. From 1979 to 1999 he served as executive director of a specialized nonprofit healthcare organization in Wisconsin. During his tenure, the organization grew from a staff of four to over sixty employees, and annual revenues grew from $80,000 to $3 million. For the last three years Shoup has been the managing partner for Briggs, Campbell and Shoup, LLC, a for-profit firm that provides management consultation in the areas of behavioral health and general nonprofit leadership. Shoup has also been active with a number of United Way campaigns, having served as a loaned executive and as chair of major employer divisions. He has a bachelor of arts in sociology from Lakeland College and a master of public administration from the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh.

"We are very pleased that Brian will be joining us," said Jim Herron, chairman of the Friends board of directors. "In addition to his leadership and management experience in the nonprofit field, Brian has a passion for the railroad, and a keen sense of its unique qualities and challenges. I know that I speak for all of our directors in welcoming Brian on board. His enthusiasm for tackling the many challenges facing the railroad is infectious and we look forward to working with him in preserving this priceless piece of Americana for future generations."

Shoup has been a member of the Friends for three years and has recently served on its fund development committee. He recalls discovering the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad on a road trip in 1971 that took him through Chama. He returned ten years later to ride the train for the first time. "I was absolutely captivated by the authenticity of the equipment and structures, the rugged high country of the San Juan Mountains, and especially the skill and craft of the people that operated the railroad. I felt it had it all--adventure, romance, and the history, culture and beauty of the Rocky Mountain West," stated Shoup. "I never imagined that one day it would become part of my career."

He indicated that the Friends is well positioned to help provide stewardship for the railroad in the years to come because of the strong leadership of retiring President Terri Shaw, the high level of commitment of the board of directors, and the efforts of the Friends' nearly 2,000 members around the world. "IÂ’m fortunate to be inheriting a solid, well-run organization, thanks to Terri Shaw's groundwork, and the passion and energy of our board and members," Shoup said.

Shoup believes that the FriendsÂ’ need to provide financial assistance, leadership, and support in the form of its traditional preservation and restoration projects will continue to grow. He sees the C&TS as a true national treasure, stating that heÂ’s heartened by the recent attention from the governments of Colorado and New Mexico and the renewed commitment of the C&TS Commission.

"The last year has been much more than just a difficult time for the railroad. ItÂ’s been tough on the people of Antonito and Chama, tough on the businesses that depend on the railroad, and especially tough on the employees," Shoup said. "If weÂ’re to fulfill our mission of helping to preserve the C&TS as a living heritage, then we need to view the two communities as being a critical part of that vision. ItÂ’s important we do more than just ask them for their cooperation."

Shoup also talked of the need for long-term planning, and his desire to hear from Friends members and others. "There are enormous challenges facing the railroad this year and beyond, but itÂ’s not enough to resolve the immediate crisis of getting the railroad operational this coming season, as daunting as that will be. We also need to focus on the next year and the ones that follow. IÂ’m anxious to get started, and I would be delighted to hear from Friends members and anyone else with an interest in the railroad."

Mr. Shoup will assume his position effective February 10. He can be contacted via email at brianshoup@cumbrestoltec.org

http://www.cumbrestoltec.org/news.htm

The Narrow Gauge Dead Goat saloon
jay@chamasteam.com

Post subject: Shoup and CTSRR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:51 pm 

Ther is very good precedent to put a Shoup atop the activities of a railroad:

Paul Shoup:
Southern Pacific VP
Central Pacific Land Co VP
Oregon & California Land Co. Pres
Pacific Electric Land Co Pres
Southern Pacific Land Co VP
Sunset Development Co VP among others.

Is this Shoup any relation?

wyld@sbcglobal.net

Post subject: Re: Shoup and CTSRR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:28 pm 

> Ther is very good precedent to put a Shoup
> atop the activities of a railroad:

> Paul Shoup:
> Southern Pacific VP
> Central Pacific Land Co VP
> Oregon & California Land Co. Pres
> Pacific Electric Land Co Pres
> Southern Pacific Land Co VP
> Sunset Development Co VP among others.

> Is this Shoup any relation?

I don't know. I'll ask him.
However he is NOT 'atop the activities of the railroad'. He is president and CEO of the FRIENDS of the CTSRR. It may seem a small distinction, but There are those who would like the world to believe that The Friends own the railroad. It ain't so.

The Narrow Gauge Dead Goat saloon
jay@chamasteam.com