It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Car Barn?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:37 pm 

A while ago, the Western Pacific Railroad Railroad Museum announced a Federal? grant to start building a Car Barn that they despretally need.

They have some wonderful WP locomotives and passenger cars; but no place to give them indoor storage. I looked at their web side but nothing to report.

Ted Miles retired but likes car barns

Post subject: Re: New Car Barn?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:54 pm 

I believe this is what you mean: https://wplives.org/news_items/2023_1M_ ... Grant.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:13 am 

The grant was May last year. It takes time to get all the practical details complete and actually scheduling the contractor will set the work date out in the future. Would not be surprised if actual construction is 2025.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:15 am 

I am working on building a similar steel pre-engineered building for a County Road Department in NJ. The public bids came back at $7mil.

I have another under design that includes 50,000 sf of storage area in two 100 x 250 structures and a two story office of 12,000sf (6,000 per floor). Estimated cost is $14 mil for the warehouse and $4.5 for the office.

The $1 mil grant noted in the article will probably get the site work done and perhaps the foundations.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:06 pm 

The building illustrated at the link provided by PMC is far more than a "car barn".  I have to agree with cjvrr that a million dollars isn't going to get them very far. 

Pennsylvania Trolley Museum's new Welcome & Education Center building is a pre-engineered metal building with 21,000 square feet of floor space.  While overall this is a simple building, it's far more elaborate than any "car barn" you ever saw.   When I take the total project costs, strip out anything associated with the surrounding sitework, and divide by the buildings footprint area, the building cost is almost exactly $300 per square foot.  That does not include any fees for architects, engineers, and construction management consultants.  These things are expensive! 

Roughly a third of the project's funding came from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, which triggered all sorts of requirements which applied to the entire project and not just the state's "share".  A contractor I've known and trusted for decades tells me that compliance with public funding requirements typically increases his bid prices by about 15% compared to an equivalent project that is privately funded. 

/s/   Larry
Lawrence G. Lovejoy, P.E.
Director of Engineering
Pennsylvania Trolley Museum, Inc.

Attachments:
PennaTrolleyMuseum_Welcome&EducationCenter.jpg
PennaTrolleyMuseum_Welcome&EducationCenter.jpg [ 213.68 KiB | Viewed 1112 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:40 pm 

Your new center looks fabulous Larry.
Ned