It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Heart pacemaker and electric railways
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:55 pm 

I am not giving you advice or suggesting anything, but I will tell you about my personal experience.
I've had a pacemaker for about three years now. I have never had an issue with any kind of electrical field. I've used a welder up to 150 amps with no problems and ridden on a 550 volt interurban car. They warned me not to use a welder, but I have. I just didn't get too close to the field.
That said, you should check with your pacemaker clinic.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:03 am 

I cannot confirm this but understand that the FRA allows pacemakers for train operators but combination pacemaker defibrillator for conductors only.
this is the spec sheet for what my doctor is proposing (PM2272):
https://www.cardiovascular.abbott/conte ... atalog.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:06 am 

he unit proposed is a dual-chamber (both atrial and ventricular) pace-only device.

I note that it is "MRI-safe" so not affected by large magnetic-field effects (as might be expected around DC traction motors.

It is also contraindicated (not permitted) if you have a cardioverter/defibrillator (also known as an ICD, which is what I have) -- that's an implanted device that 'shocks' the heart if it detects a rhythm it interprets as dangerous.

The FRA (wisely, in my opinion) permits pacing devices in responsible passenger operation, but not defibrillators, and it is not difficult to understand why. One three separate occasions, improper programming has led to my receiving repeated 'shocks' at the device's quickest recharge capability, and my ability to respond to critical safety issues during one of these is very clearly impaired. Meanwhile, the legitimate medical condition that would cause a 'correct' firing of the device would often result in fairly prompt syncope (loss of consciousness) which is just not a risk worth considering for engine service.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:19 pm 

I guess a person could take readings with a EMF meter, to get an idea of the magnitude of the energy. Though it looks complicated. The device manufacturers might give some limits.

https://www.grainger.com/product/453A50 ... lsrc=aw.ds

https://www.bostonscientific.com/conten ... _Guide.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:47 pm 

I just got a message that my doctor checked with the device manufacturer who said that operating streetcars is ok.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:25 pm 

The issue being is Electro magnetic compatibility. Seems the manufacturer has agreed that it's safe and they are the responsible party.

Regarding the issues I see:

DC Eddy currents, pulse fields from poor catenary contact creating broadband rfi. I really don't know trolley systems in would have to stick an emf field monitor on it to really say.

Now I do see pacemakers prohibited signs quite a bit, on active flightlines, radio sites, high power switching apparatus.

I occasionally have a contractor on the property who's about 80 with an old pacemaker, when he services items we have to do shutdowns to accommodate him even in areas not restricted by icnirp as his pacemaker is ancient. He also has no microwave in his house