It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cuyahoga Valley Suspends Operations For 2 Months
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:40 pm 

ATK wrote:
Neither article says anything about what's driving these urgent changes and upgrades. Lots of speculation on FB. Understanding the facts behind what's involved would be beneficial to others.

Yup. But all we can do here is speculate. They'd say if they thought it was beneficial for all to know. We have no idea of either the purpose in detail or what the criteria was in their decision matrix. And they have no obligation to say.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:30 am 

Hmm...sounds like FRA pressure....no one would shut down completely, unless it was normal...like a winter closing...
Did anyone note the recent closure of that railroad in Oklahoma?
I suspect something has changed at the FRA, possibly due to a certain big railroad putting a couple trains into a river.....
Typically, after big accidents, you'll see a wave of basically Zero tolerance actions by regulatory agencies...they get out of control o r their superiors pressure them, etc...
In this case, we may well be seeing some unmasked govt overreach...
All the gov't Agencies are fundamentally political...even while saying they are about safety, etc...
Many of them are perhaps too often, fundamentally lazy, often not visiting an operation often or at all until either something major happens or the political pressure triggers overly harsh action to cover their butts and save their jobs...
This may pass, but remember, the big railroad has plenty of money and lawyers to deal with this, little operations...especially tourist operations could easily find themselves regulated out of business....which is NOT what the FRA's purview is...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:05 am 

My understanding is that FRA concerns are a part of what is going on, but my information is not specific enough, so I left that out.