It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Question for Steam Operators
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:36 pm 

Perhaps this should be continued for some more days here. If there are enough dynamos needed, perhaps it will be really easy to find a company to build them.
I could contribute a solution for easy rpm limiting which probably makes small series a lot cheaper...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:49 pm 

Jennie K wrote:
If it is possible to come up with one that is reasonably quiet I know of one amusement park line would definitely be interested. The Cedar Point & Lake Erie RR uses Pyle National dynamos, which are mounted under the fireman's seat. Yeah earplugs are strongly recommended, if not required now (wasn't when I worked there).

A turbogenerator that doesn't scream would be a nice addition.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:17 am 

Get rid of the turbine scream? We could also do away with the thunking of that pesky air compressor, the roar of the fire, and that incessant chugging as the engine going down the tracks has got to go....

Oh wait, they already have that, it's called a diesel locomotive.

If you have one that has to be quieted for some reason, a car muffler should work fine. It may not last a long time due to being wet all the time, but if a cheap muffler works, a better or even stainless muffler could be added later.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:52 pm 

When I was on the way to Wayne Junction for the first Iron Horse Ramble (10-25-1959) the only steam engine sound you could hear was 2124's turbogenerator. And you could hear it for blocks around.

2124 was built with cab signals; I don't know it the cab signal T-1's had bigger turbogenerators for the greater electrical load.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:24 pm 

Great discussion here. I have had quite a few people reach out either offering engineering services or want to buy. We are going to work on a design that should satisfy larger power demands and still run on steam (whine included, sorry that is what a steam locomotive is supposed to sound like)

We are looking forward to sharing with everyone what we come up with. It won't be radically different, but will look the original Pyle National dynamos with same mounting.