It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PNWC 76 Whereabouts
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:50 pm 

What happened to PNWC 76? I've tried looking everywhere (one source says it was cut up in 2022 but found no further evidence)

Post subject: Re: PNWC 76 Whereabouts
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:27 pm 

Daylight25 wrote:
What happened to PNWC 76? I've tried looking everywhere (one source says it was cut up in 2022 but found no further evidence)

Would you mind spelling out what PNWC 76 is? I have no clue.
Edit: After far more digging than should have been necessary I found this, it apparently was a heavyweight combine used on AFT: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34748&p=193304&hilit=PNWC+76#p193304

Last edited by PMC on Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:32 pm 

Sadly, I believe that rumor is true about the car being cut up a few years ago. I didn't think it was in that bad a shape, but they didn't want to take the time to see if anyone wanted it for scrap value.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:22 pm 

Yes, the car has been scrapped. Word on the jungle telegraph didn't provoke any interest.

As it turns out, when the car was first lifted by the scrapper, it literally fell apart .... so not really a candidate for salvation -- regardless of the meaningful history. Legend has it that the car was held together with duct tape even back in Freedom Train days, but I wasn't there.

(I know a guy who was on the scrapping team).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:41 pm 

I had hoped it would end up at ORHC. A heavyweight coach would bring more variety to their collection, even if it couldn't do much besides sit there. My grand idea that I didn't tell anyone or do anything about and had zero regard for the effort, time and money involved was have it on one of the tracks off the turntable in AFT paint with their excellent AFT display moved inside it on one side and the other wall available for other displays.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:58 pm 

The information that I had was that it was the *other* ex-SP&S head end car in storage in Beaverton that was scrapped, the #55.

SP&S postal storage #55, rebuilt in October 1950 from Pullman tourist sleeper #1211 (nee-Caspar; sold to SP&S December 1947), to BN, to MofW #976137 in November 1975, to Pacific Northwest Chapter NRHS in May 1985

The #55 was scrapped in May 2022 in Beaverton, OR, at a site that is used for storage of inactive equipment by the various Portland (ORHF) groups. At least one other car was scrapped at the same time, former GN (CB&Q) 48 seat chair #1220 (later NJT 108 seat commuter coach #103/#5312).

Now, whether or not the #76 was scrapped at the same time, I don't know, but it could be that there is some conflation/confusion here with which car is which.

Just for kicks, here's the history for the #76:

SP&S RPO-baggage #47, rebuilt in December 1948 from Pullman tourist sleeper #2010 (nee-Rillito; sold to SP&S December 1947), to #76 in May 1966, to BN, donated to Pacific Northwest Chapter in July 1972, used on AFT 1975-1976

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:01 pm 

Rainier Rails wrote:
The information that I had was that it was the *other* ex-SP&S head end car in storage in Beaverton that was scrapped, the #55.

SP&S postal storage #55, rebuilt in October 1950 from Pullman tourist sleeper #1211 (nee-Caspar; sold to SP&S December 1947), to BN, to MofW #976137 in November 1975, to Pacific Northwest Chapter NRHS in May 1985

The #55 was scrapped in May 2022 in Beaverton, OR, at a site that is used for storage of inactive equipment by the various Portland (ORHF) groups. At least one other car was scrapped at the same time, former GN (CB&Q) 48 seat chair #1220 (later NJT 108 seat commuter coach #103/#5312).

Now, whether or not the #76 was scrapped at the same time, I don't know, but it could be that there is some conflation/confusion here with which car is which.

Just for kicks, here's the history for the #76:

SP&S RPO-baggage #47, rebuilt in December 1948 from Pullman tourist sleeper #2010 (nee-Rillito; sold to SP&S December 1947), to #76 in May 1966, to BN, donated to Pacific Northwest Chapter in July 1972, used on AFT 1975-1976

So all four pieces of rolling stock stored behind that warehouse in Beaverton were scrapped?
Attachment:
Beaverton.JPG
Beaverton.JPG [ 35.5 KiB | Viewed 3609 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:03 pm 

NS 3322 wrote:

So all four pieces of rolling stock stored behind that warehouse in Beaverton were scrapped?

Where exactly were they? I live in Beaverton and had no clue they were here. I do know of a few others scattered about here, some of which are RDC's that belong to Tri-Met, and there is a Daylight-painted baggage car visible from Allen Blvd. near 217.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:13 pm 

PMC wrote:
NS 3322 wrote:

Where exactly were they? I live in Beaverton and had no clue they were here. I do know of a few others scattered about here, some of which are RDC's that belong to Tri-Met, and there is an ex-SP baggage visible from Allen St. near 217.

They were behind Blue Ocean Logistics, and were very close to the SP baggage car by Platt Electric.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/45.4 ... gF6BAgQEAA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:46 pm 

NS 3322 wrote:

They were behind Blue Ocean Logistics, and were very close to the SP baggage car by Platt Electric.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/45.4 ... gF6BAgQEAA

I may go by there this week and see what if anything is left, if it is viewable from public property. I worked as a temp semi driver for Platt Electric a half-dozen or so times the year of the pandemic, so I am familiar with the area, I just never went back in that warehouse district.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:54 pm 

NS 3322 wrote:
Well, that's just it, I only saw info that 2 cars were scrapped for certain...if any more were, I cannot say either way.
PMC wrote:
I do know of a few others scattered about here
The various Portland groups have/had various passenger rolling stock scattered in storage locations all over the greater PDX metro area, and even down the Valley a little ways. Even before the move out of the old Brooklyn roundhouse location, they didn't have the capacity to keep everything in one spot. And unfortunately not all of it is secured storage either, as at least one car (a rare prewar 10-5 sleeper, the Rincon Hill) was damaged by vandals/thieves looking for copper.

Because of this, I don't even have a full/complete detailed list of what they have/had, where (some of) it is, or even what may have been sold to (or was always owned by) individuals active with the groups, and not the groups themselves.
PMC wrote:
some of which are RDC's that belong to Tri-Met
There are actually some former B&M/MBTA RDC's which are owned by one of the groups and in storage, different from those that Tri-Met has for backup service on the West Side Express. And, these are not to be confused with the former CNJ/NJT RDC's which are out on the Oregon Coast Scenic, and the former BC Rail RDC's that were used for the Lewis & Clark trips on the line out to Astoria (which have now left the PDX area).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:29 am 

Rainier Rails wrote:
There are actually some former B&M/MBTA RDC's which are owned by one of the groups and in storage, different from those that Tri-Met has for backup service on the West Side Express.

Could be, I want to say two RDCs in an office in the south Portland metro area, exactly ten years ago, I remember where but don't remember the details of the markings, other than that they were not being pulled in and out of storage but had been there for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:32 am 

Ok guys, there is a LOT of speculation here.

Here are some facts:

* all 4 cars behind the building in Beaverton, including the #55 and #76 were scrapped.
* the daylight combine, the 3300, near Platt electric, has many supporters and will very likely live on. It was 'whacked' in Brooklyn yard many years ago and needs some non-trivial structural work as a result.
* The RDC-9s are owned by the NRHS chapter (as is the 3300) and the RDCs are looking for a home. They were offered to Tri-met on a 'you haul 'em, they're yours' basis, but Tri-met didn't take us up on it.
* the Davenport locomotive is being (cosmetically?) restored and will wind up at the Rail Heritage Center.
* The caboose was "sold for $1" to the Willow Creek RR (7.5") at Antique Powerland, they have relocated it to a piece of snap track there.

The cars in the northwest industrial area "undisclosed location" have been vandalized beyond reasonable repair and will be disposed of. Two belong to one of the organizations and two are privately owned. The tank cars will be used elsewhere.

I think I have accounted for all of the 'stashed away' rolling stock that is/was "around Portland".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:02 am 

SP&S 76 also played a small role in Emperor of the North. It is seen briefly at the end of the Fast Mail consist during the near miss scene. It can also be seen in a few background shots when A-No. 1 and Cigaret arrive in "Salem."

It was renumbered to its original 47, painted yellow with blue letterboard, and carried the OP&E name.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:54 pm 

dcautley wrote:
all 4 cars behind the building in Beaverton, including the #55 and #76 were scrapped.

The cars in the northwest industrial area "undisclosed location" have been vandalized beyond reasonable repair and will be disposed of. Two belong to one of the organizations and two are privately owned.
Thank you very much for the updates and clarifications, it is appreciated. I will forward the fate of the #76 to the Pullman thread here at some point.

I am assuming you have the ID's then for those 4 cars in the NW District. I think I have at least some of them in my notes (former GN heavyweight chairs I recall), but would still find such info useful as I'll add those dispositions.

(Side note, I do know that the former GN wood heavyweight business car that had been stored with said GN chairs, that was then set ablaze, was moved down to storage in Sellwood, and at last report someone was actually in the process of restoring it.)