It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nonprofit accounting software
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:32 pm 

What are other groups using for their accounting software? Quicken is the OG, it's what we use but it seems to be overly complicated where it needs to be simple, and too simple where it needs more features. Aplos is highly rated. Xero and Sage show up as well rated. Ledger book? Shoebox??!?

Looking at switching and just wondering what others have found.

Post subject: Re: Nonprofit accounting software
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:01 pm 

Our org uses Quickbooks for Nonprofits. I can't vouch for that edition personally but I used Quickbooks for my business and I can tell you that if you don't have an accounting background, the learning curve was rather steep as to how to set up accounts correctly so everything balances correctly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:32 pm 

National Capital Trolley Museum uses Quickbooks. I have been in leadership positions at three other non profits that do the same.

Wesley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:52 pm 

QuickBooks is migrating to an on-line, fee-based system and is withdrawing support of their prior products that were self-contained on one's computer. Our group isn't sure which direction we want to go.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:33 pm 

I used Quickbooks for our organization's books for about 11 years until a new treasurer took over last year. It met our needs but the non profit version is basically an adaptation of the business version so some of the reports and terminology reflect that parentage. It also has a number of quirks that tended to be irritating. An example is the difficulty in writing custom reports. Given that it is a very mature product one would expect all the quirks to have been worked out long ago.

We were able to get our most recent 2021 desktop version only because we had purchased the desktop version in the past. I don't know if that option still exists and I think 2021 is the final desktop version they will be releasing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:56 pm 

I hate Quickbooks. It's got some annoying quirks, and they're always trying to upsell you on everything from payment processing, checks and envelopes to home mortgages! Also, if you're not eligible for the non profit discount, the yearly cost for even the basic version is quite expensive at $600 per year. Their pricing model is nuts too, with lots of variation. I usually buy a new version from Amazon each year, it's cheaper than the "discounted renewal" QB tries to force you into. The whole thing just reeks of greed.

However, I also use it for my business as well as at the companies I do consulting with. Why? Well, like Outlook, Word and Excel, it's the General Motors of accounting software. If you're ever sending something to an accountant, you'll be much better off sending them a QB file. They're used to them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:02 pm 

Non profits are eligible for very reduced pricing for Quickbooks (and other software) at TechSoup. https://www.techsoup.org/

Wesley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:48 am 

Quickbooks is THE answer for this. Any CPA will be familiar with it and comfortable with files and such. I know there's a cost for it, but it is basically the assumption that anyone with a business etc uses it. Some folks also keep a general ledger in some sort of excel accounting template which is fine if you are a very very small org.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm 

We've used QB since we started in 1996. Tried two other packages, both failed.

I'm not real happy with their forced migration to a subscription model in the cloud after all these years, and my last run-in with them proved that the quality of sales support is slipping. Used to be the best.

But I'm also convinced that whatever you think you're saving in cost you'll loose if the CPA has to do everything by hand moving data over. I'd estimate it saves us about $2000 / year just on that factor for CPA time, and then the adjusting entries come over digitally as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:53 am 

Hello

Quickbooks is the best accounting software for a nonprofit organization.

There a number of nice features that help

1. billing renewals for members
2. AP/AR Tracking
3. inventory tracking
4. POS from cash registers can be linked to quickbooks.