It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EBT Foundation To Offer Expanded Shop, Archives Tours
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:32 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
The story here:

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... hop-tours/

Quote:
Expanded tours of the East Broad Top Railroad shops, roundhouse, and archives will be offered for the first time in 2024, the non-profit EBT Foundation, Inc., has announced.

The narrow-gauge central Pennsylvania steam preservation railroad, a National Historic Landmark, will open new opportunities besides its existing one-hour tour of its circa-1910 shop complex here. The three additions for visitors are a 3-hour intensive tour of the shops, a 1-hour tour of the roundhouse, and a 1-hour tour of the company archives, which are housed in three vaults contained in the two-story office and passenger station here.

Much more at the link, of course.

Post subject: Re: EBT Foundation To Offer Expanded Shop, Archives Tours
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:17 pm 

Yea, but they probably don't even allow smoking in the archives, so what's the point?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:03 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
Yea, but they probably don't even allow smoking in the archives, so what's the point?

Yup, and why go to a gallery if you can't touch the art.

https://youtu.be/2wQN2qGUQJ4?si=CHg8QpBrTFWqgO4f

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:05 pm 

scratchyX1 wrote:
Kelly Anderson wrote:

Yup, and why go to a gallery if you can't touch the art.

Many years ago I went to the Walker in Mpls and stood too close close to what I genuinely thought was an empty museum brochure metal rack. A dead ringer for a cheap, plated retail store fixture of the time.

A disembodied male voice from a loudspeaker up in the high ceiling briskly admonished me to stay further back from the "exhibit."

To this day I am still not sure if it was actually an art object or some bored employee was having fun "greening" an obvious yokel.

Anyway, good on EBT for doing this stuff. I'll even stay behind any real or imaginary ropes and leave my smokes in the car.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:29 am 

Gham55* wrote:

Many years ago I went to the Walker in Mpls and stood too close close to what I genuinely thought was an empty museum brochure metal rack. A dead ringer for a cheap, plated retail store fixture of the time.

A disembodied male voice from a loudspeaker up in the high ceiling briskly admonished me to stay further back from the "exhibit."

To this day I am still not sure if it was actually an art object or some bored employee was having fun "greening" an obvious yokel

Considering it was the Walker; I wouldn't be surprised if it was one exhibits. Thats the thing about so much modern art sculptures pieces..... they can be literally anything and sell for millions. Remember three different people with more dollars than sense bought pieces of fruit that an artist had duct taped to a wall and called art.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:40 pm 

Gham55* wrote:
A friend had a sort of similar experience at one of the major art museums. While visiting, he started feeling an embedded sliver in his finger from the day before, so without thinking, he sat down on a bench, got out his pocketknife, snapped it open, and started digging out the sliver.

A few seconds later, he looked up to find himself surrounded by security guards. He continued with his visit, but noted that a security guard followed him wherever he went in the building for the rest of the day.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:15 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
A few seconds later, he looked up to find himself surrounded by security guards. He continued with his visit, but noted that a security guard followed him wherever he went in the building for the rest of the day.

"The old penknife in the museum trick..."

Many years ago a nearby regional museum nearly had a fairly famous older painting slashed by a flake, but he was taken down in time. The museum director later talked breathlessly to one of my old professors how awful it could have been, but added that it would have been even worse if one of the abstract expressionist works hanging close by had been damaged. My old prof didn't miss a beat and said that he doubted the average visitor would even notice any damage to the abstract expressionist work.

Retirement can bring a lot of pithy observations out of people.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:36 pm 

Gham55* wrote:
Retirement can bring a lot of pithy observations out of people.
Very profound observation...

My wife and I agree that our marriage works so well because we each get the other's jokes. I know for a fact that those who don't get my jokes, really don't get them. Oh well, their loss.