It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester & Western Sandman Branch
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:50 pm 

Looks like the Covia/Unimin sand plant will be closing next month which is the only customer on the 18-mile Winchester & Western Sandman Branch from Winchester, VA to Gore, VA. The railroad’s offices have already moved to Martinsburg, WV.

From the photos I have seen this looks like a very scenic line. Future tourist operation possibility? Winchester is right off of I-81 and an operator would have existing shops in Gore.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... -to-close/

Post subject: Re: Winchester & Western Sandman Branch
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:09 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
It IS a very scenic line, and short-line photographers have been chasing it for years.

But within the proverbial "spittin' distance" or "stone's throw" you have the Western Maryland Scenic RR and the Potomac Eagle operation. Throw a bit further for Walkersville Southern and East Broad Top.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:05 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
But within the proverbial "spittin' distance" or "stone's throw" you have the Western Maryland Scenic RR and the Potomac Eagle operation. Throw a bit further for Walkersville Southern and East Broad Top.

So what? There are many examples of operations within "spittin' distance" of each other.

Reading Blue Mountain & Northern, Wanamaker, Kempton & Southern, Allentown & Auburn, Colebrookdale, and Delaware River Railroad Excursions are all a "stone's throw" from one another.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:48 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
NS 3322 wrote:

So what? There are many examples of operations within "spittin' distance" of each other.

Reading Blue Mountain & Northern, Wanamaker, Kempton & Southern, Allentown & Auburn, Colebrookdale, and Delaware River Railroad Excursions are all a "stone's throw" from one another.

So the argument becomes, are you actually offering something new and different, or just cannibalizing the existing market?
See also: Every new brewpub and winery that opens.........

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:59 pm 

NS 3322 wrote:

It's a really valid concern.

I started thinking about this when I heard the GETY was doing stuff too. "It's a great idea in a vacuum, but how many other options are there within 120 minutes?".

As much as I love the Northern Central, I honestly think a partnership between them and the Steam Into History folks would be a really compelling thing.

But "1950s passenger cars pulled by a GP38"? I think the only thing they have going for them is location (which is, without a doubt, quite important).