It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WMSR Gets Second ex-NS GE Dash 8
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:36 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
From their Facebook post:

Quote:
In September, WMSR purchased two B32-8’s from Northern Illinois & Wisconsin Railway dba NIWX Corporation’s John Howell. Both units started life on the Norfolk Southern. Many railfans and WMSR followers will remember that #558 was leased for its first year in Cumberland from NIWX. Thank you John for your support.

#561 arrived in September under the cover of darkness, and stored awaiting service. Her most recent service had been with our friends at Everett Railroad Company.

So, if you were watching this afternoon…you may have seen this. Welcome #561 to her new home! She entered service today and will be painted to match #558 this spring.

Post subject: Re: WMSR Gets Second ex-NS GE Dash 8
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:17 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
From their Facebook post:

Quote:
In September, WMSR purchased two B32-8’s from Northern Illinois & Wisconsin Railway dba NIWX Corporation’s John Howell. Both units started life on the Norfolk Southern. Many railfans and WMSR followers will remember that #558 was leased for its first year in Cumberland from NIWX. Thank you John for your support.

#561 arrived in September under the cover of darkness, and stored awaiting service. Her most recent service had been with our friends at Everett Railroad Company.

So, if you were watching this afternoon…you may have seen this. Welcome #561 to her new home! She entered service today and will be painted to match #558 this spring.

Who needs 1309 operating anymore when you can have diesel freight units! (sarcasm).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:10 am 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:46 pm 

I for one am thrilled that B32-8s can be seen operating.

It's not 'either-or' -- and I'd be delighted to see a train 'coming or going' the way they currently operate 1309...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:42 pm 

It's been reported elsewhere- but somewhat strangely not here- that the 1309 is down again indefinitely, as per what they posted to their facebook page it now needs full replacement of the piston heads and rods, they say it was work they were planning to do but it needs to be done now. And a number of their other diesels are either down or not available. Appears they need all the power they can get at the moment.

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:33 pm 

JDLX wrote:
It's been reported elsewhere- but somewhat strangely not here- that the 1309 is down again indefinitely, as per what they posted to their facebook page it now needs full replacement of the piston heads and rods, they say it was work they were planning to do but it needs to be done now. And a number of their other diesels are either down or not available. Appears they need all the power they can get at the moment.

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... operation/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:12 pm 

I hope I didn’t miss out on the 1309 - halfway sounds like they are throwing in the towel if they are fundraising for 734.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:41 pm 

FWIW they've been quietly fundraising for 734 for a while: https://wmsr.com/our-locomotives/western-maryland-734

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:07 pm 

maybe they have realized that the 734, once back in service, is a little easier to deal with from a maintenance perspective etc than the 1309.

+1 for the comment on hoping I didn't miss seeing it run.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:04 pm 

Is 10-12 years of service life typical before needing to replace pistons and rods? I honestly don't know.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:37 pm 

I'm going to take a wild guess that they end up swapping pistons and rods with C&O #1308.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:15 pm 

QJdriver wrote:
I'm going to take a wild guess that they end up swapping pistons and rods with C&O #1308.

Given that the 1308 probably saw a similar service life to the 1309, why would the condition of the 1308's pistons/rods be any better? Or did something happen on the WMSR that caused the issue?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:50 am 

WMSR is free to do as they please with their equipment. The justification behind their decisions is of no business to anyone on this forum.

DC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:11 am 

QJdriver wrote:

They have said that they are fundraising for new pistons and rings for the #1309.
From their event description for the January 6th/7th Steam & Snow fundraising event: "This event will help fund new pistons for 1309 and other winter maintenance work. "

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:27 am 

I don't know the specifics but unless there was some deterioration due to water being where it shouldn't or simple damage from misuse or accident those components normally have a very long service life. If the cylinders were bored out, excessive clearance between the piston OD and bore may be the issue. I've built up pistons and made oversize rings to solve those problems in the past and keep the trains running, but new is probably the better choice.Those guys know what they're doing better than I (or anybody else not aware of the specifics) do.