It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Algoma Central Steam
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:18 am 

In the 1977 Steam Passenger Service Directory, the Algoma Central RR (in Michigan?) announced that "steam would be introduced for the 1978 season" and it appeared in (I think) 1 or 2 susbequent Steam Directory listings after that. Of course, steam was never introduced. My question is: what steam locomotive was under consideration for use on the Algoma Central, and way didn't things get off the ground?

http://rrmuseumpa.org

Post subject: Re: Algoma Central Steam
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:11 pm 

I don't know about the potential steam, but the Algoma Central is based in Sault Saint Marie, Ontario.

> In the 1977 Steam Passenger Service
> Directory, the Algoma Central RR (in
> Michigan?) announced that "steam would
> be introduced for the 1978 season"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:44 pm 

Dear Rob,

Yes my error indeed. Thanks for the clarification. The question still stands...does anyone know about the potential steam operation on the Algoma Central in the late 1970s??

K.R. Bell

> I don't know about the potential steam, but
> the Algoma Central is based in Sault Saint
> Marie, Ontario.

http://rrmuseumpa.org

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:22 pm 

Kurt,

I think I read somewhere that they started a restoration or were about to start a restoration but had a change of heart. I thought I read that the engine sat in storage for some time before being put on display.

Tom

Forgotten Delaware
tom@forgottendelaware.com

Post subject: Algoma Railway Steam
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:26 am 

I think Mr. Bell saw the entry for Algoma Railroad of Algoma, Wisconsin, which is not related to the Algoma Central Railway.

In the 1977 issue of the Steam Directory, it does indeed say that the Algoma Railroad "plans to introduce steam power in 1978." They list a 1937 Ingersoll-Rand 60 tonner and Milwaukee S-4 as their motive power, and there is a photo of the 60 tonner pulling a short train.

Moving on to the 1978 issue, it says that "The Algoma Railroad plans to introduce steam power in the near future." Their locomotive is now listed as former Milwaukee Road RSC-2 No. 988, now at Mid-Continent. No mention of the 60 tonner or S-4; photo of a coach.

1979 issue: "Algoma Railroad plans to introduce steam motive power as soon as possible." Only RSC-2 988 listed; photo of same.

1980 issue - gone!

Your guess is as good as mine as to what locomotive they were looking at. Perhaps one of those at Mid-Continent? Many are in private hands.

Jeff Terry

jterry618@msn.com

Post subject: Ontario Northland
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:46 pm 

After some time to think I am thinking it was the Ontario Northland that was going to use steam but had a change of heart. Does this sound right to anyone?

Tom Gears

tgears1@comcast.net

Post subject: Re: Ontario Northland
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:46 pm 

> After some time to think I am thinking it
> was the Ontario Northland that was going to
> use steam but had a change of heart. Does
> this sound right to anyone?

> Tom Gears
No.. they didn't have a change of heart... they ran several fantrips with T&NO 2-8-0 #137 out of North Bay, Ontario in the late 60's (early 70's?)which I rode. The engine was subsequently damaged in a roundhouse fire and was cosmetically restored for display.

jjburke0918@aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:00 pm 

Temiskaming and Northern Ontario no. 137 was ex-CN no. 2164. The T & NO was Ontario Northland's predecessor. The engine is now on display at the Cochrane Railway and Pioneer Museum across from the Cochrane railway station.

http://www.museumsnorth.org/cochrane/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:20 pm 

> Temiskaming and Northern Ontario no. 137 was
> ex-CN no. 2164. The T & NO was Ontario
> Northland's predecessor.

Well, I'm not ashamed to say Thanks, Jason. Here I was sitting thinking "Texas & New Orleans"

eledbetter@rypn.org

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:38 pm 

> Well, I'm not ashamed to say Thanks, Jason.
> Here I was sitting thinking "Texas
> & New Orleans"

Not surprising. The reporting marks T&NO did belong to the SP subsidiary Texas and New Orleans. The Temiskaming and Northern Ontario used TEK.

Electric City Trolley Museum Association