It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whistlin' (in) Dixie in 60s/70s
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:20 pm 

While the PA/NJ/DE area had scores of steam tourist railroads during the 60s and 70s, there were a number of fine, now-gone-but(hopefully)-not-forgotten operations south of the Mason-Dixon line during this same time period as well (throw in a little early 80s as well).

VA

ALLEGHANY CENTRAL RR
Operated about 10 years (early 70s thru early 80s) on the former C&O Hot Springs Branch. Ran out of Intervale, 2 miles north of Covington. Run by Jack Showalter. Former CPR Pacifics 1238 and 1286 hauling ex-RF&P heavyweight coaches and open excursion cars. Also rostered ex-USATC/Fort Eustis 2-8-0 606 which was torn down for repairs that were aborted. The Pacifics and some rolling stock moved to the Western Maryland Scenic RR at Cumberland, which Mr. Showalter and his daughter Sally (who as a teenager regularly fired the engines at Covington and "made the pages" of the old RAILROAD magazine) operated as a contractor during 1989 and 1990. During 1989 it was still called the Allegany Central (the "h" dropped to reflect local spelling), but the WMSR name was used in 1990. Then after running a series of mainline excursions on CSX in VA under the name "Virginia Central" during 1993, the equipment went into storage at Staunton, VA where it remains today. USATC 2-8-0 606 was left (still apart) along the Hot Springs Branch at Falling Springs, VA.

SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA SCENIC RR
Ran in late 1974 and during 1975 on a portion of the Southern Ry Bristol line. Ran east from Hiltons, VA. Beautiful scenery, but was off the beaten path=few riders. Used some of the ex-Quakertown & Eastern excursion equipment including ex-Buffalo Creck & Gauley 2-8-0 4 and fleet of ex-Reading steel coaches and the "Reading Rambles" baggage car. Also had a Baldwin diesel switcher from Tennessee Eastman. The equipment made its way to the NCTM at Spencer, NC.

BRISTOL & NORTHWESTERN RR
Same line, different direction, different chooch. Ran the SOU Bristol line west out of its namesake town briefly during early 1980's. Leased famed CB&Q 2-8-2 4960 (then still in CB&Q appearence) from then-owner Mid-Continent Railway Museum. 4960 hauled several lightweight coaches. A classy little operation that died along with its owner/operator Harold Keene.

DRY GULCH JUNCTION RR
Another western-theme railroad attraction of the kind that were popping up like daisies during the period from the late 1950's thru the 1960's. This one was standard gauge and located near the "Big Walker Overlook" near the town of Wytheville, VA. The usual open excursion cars, plus a caboose. Main power was ex-Elk River Coal & Lumber 3-Truck Shay 19 (re# 1). Didn't need to "wild west it" thanks to the real-deal Lima diamond stack! They also tried running a pretty little Baldwin logging 2-6-2 (ex-Florida & Alabama 18), but from what I'd heard it spent more time being rerailed than running. On display was a 2-Truck Heisler (ex-Forest Products Chemical Co., exx-Fisher Luber Co.). The operation changed hands and became the Dry Gulch Junction & Tombstone RR. IIRC the Heisler (#2) was placed into service and the Shay (#1) was sidelined. The new operation didn't last long and the Shay and Heisler were bought by Bob Most and moved to Tampa, FL where they sat for years. Today the Shay is in a park in Harrod, OH. The Heisler went to Andalusia, AL, but I think I remember hearing recently that it was sold to someone in WV(??). That Baldwin 2-6-2 had went earlier from DGJ to the short-lived tourist train on the Montana Central RR at White Sulpher Springs, MT. Later it went to Atlantic, IA under private ownership. Today it's at the Fremont & Elkhorn Valley RR in NE being restored to operation.

NC

SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN RY
Briefly operated tourist service during the mid 1960's on the Black Mountain Railway at Burnsville, NC. Ex-BEDT 0-6-0T 15 hauled an ex-PRR MU car and I think one other coach of some sort. 15 went on to the Toledo Lake Erie & Western (tourist) RR in Ohio, where it was stored. Of course, today 15 delights kids of all ages as THOMAS from the Strasburg RR.

BEAR CREEK JUNCTION RAILROAD
Tourist railroading came to the famous Shay-powered Graham County Railroad during the mid 1960's. "Bear Creek Junction" sprang up with a depot (replica of a SOU depot in Scottsboro, AL) and museum exhibits including a collection of various rolling stock--including the palor-observation car "Robert E. Lee" from Crescent Limited. The BCJ Shays got red paint and "old sidewinder" lettering as they hauled Cass-like open cars to the Nantahala Gorge overlook. After the original BCJ operation failed, a second atempt was made--mid 70's if I remember right--but this failed as well. Today the GSMR sucessfully chugs near by--maybe the BCJ was ahead of its time. Graham County's Shay 1925 happily lives at Spencer. The BCJ's 2-truck Shay 112 traveled to the OP&E in OR and is now in a park in Texas City, TX. GC/BCJ 3-Truck Shay 1926 has more recently traveled to New Centerville, PA where sits in pieces, belonging to steam machinery buff Michael Miller.

KY

CUMBERLAND FALLS SCENIC RR
The "train attraction" at the now-gone Tombstone Junction western-theme park at Cumberland Falls State Park, KY. Loop with tight curves and steep grades to challenge ex-Union RR 0-6-0 77 (aka Morefield & North Fork 14). Used cabooses-turned-open excursion cars. Also had two USATC 0-6-0Ts from E.J. Lavino & Co. 77 is now at Stearns, KY reportedly being rebuilt for Big South Fork Scenic Ry. (the old K&T Ry). One of the E.J. Lavino 0-6-0Ts (5) is at the KRM at New Haven. Don't know about the other one. The excursion cars reportedly "crashed and burned" during a salvage operation that went awry with the cars catching fire and then rolling away to derail in blaze of glory!

There were others such as the Echo Valley Park's Swamp Rabbit RR at Cleveland, SC (they used ex-Cliffside 2-6-2 110, now at the Stone Mountain Scenic RR in GA) and the Highlander RR (later Maggie Valley RR) at Maggie Valley, NC (they had two 2-Truck Heislers, 1 now stored at Whitewater Valley RR in IN, the other runs at the Silver Creek & Stephenson RR at Freeport, IL).

Regards,
Jim Robinson

Post subject: Re: Whistlin' (in) Dixie in 60s/70s
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:24 pm 

I rode the Bear Creek Jct RR in the early 70's. At that time, 1925 was the only operational shay. There was also a diesel switcher (don't recall what model, I was a kid then)tha handledd the freight duties. If I recall, that RR had some flooding problems that spelled its doom. And many thanks to the fine folks at Spencer for restoring her. And a special thank you to Jim for getting me a cab ride that I'll never forget. Thanks for the memories (sniff).

sirterp@myactv.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:25 pm 

Jim,

Great stuff! Thanks for taking your time to write all this down - it now gets printed and put in the "big file."

There was another tourist railroad in Hiltons which I know next to nothing about. The locomotive was the former Kelly Island Lime No. 11 (0-4-0T) now at Prairie Village in Madison, SD. I understand it ran there with two homemade coaches (still with it today) in the early 1980s. Can you supply any additional details?

Thanks

Jeff Terry

jterry618@msn.com

Post subject: It Ain't Quite Dixie, but it was in the 70s/80s
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:56 pm 

An article in a issue of Railfan magazine was all it took to convince my parents to allow me and my best friend to make the trek from northeast Missouri to southern Illinois to view/chase the Crab Orchard & Egyptian steam railroad in Marion, Illinois in the summer of 1981.

The railroad was at that time operated with ex-Roberval & Saugnay (I know I spelled that one wrong) #17. They had dropped passenger service a couple of years earlier and were 100% freight only.

What a time warp for a couple of teenagers that were born too late to see steam in regular freight service.

Regards from San Diego,
Burlington John

Burlington Route Historical Society
BurlingtonJohn@trainorders.com

Post subject: Re: It Ain't Quite Dixie, but it was in the 70s/80
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:20 pm 

Ah, life as those of us who grew up in the era recall it...

So strange, spending so much time riding behind 1925 circa 1973-1975 and now having the pleasure to rod out her tubes on selected winter weekends, such as the last one.

So strange, climbing over Southwest Virginia 4 at Hiltons, Va. with the approval of owner Gayle Bellamy and now working on her at Spencer.

So strange , riding the Shay at Dry Gulch and being invited to fire the engine within five minutes of arrival!

Ah, to dream...of days gone by.

http://nctrans.org
Wrinnbo@aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:59 pm 

Whatever became of the Crab Orchard & Egyptian Railroad?

G. Mark

TVRM Shop Updates by Steve Freer
aw90@comcast.net

Post subject: Re: CO & E
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:30 pm 

It's still around, servicing industries in the Herrin and Marion Illinois area.

The steam engine they had went to the St Louis and Iron Mountain in Jackson Mo.

The web page was listed as coer-rr.com but it does not appear to be working at this time.

rrtp@onecliq.net

Post subject: Re: no. 11
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:43 am 

I have it listed as the "Lonesome Pine Scenic Railroad," operating from Bristol to Moccasin Gap in the 1979-1982 time frame. It was another Gayle Bellamy project like the Southwest Virginia.

Ron Flanary or David Devault are probably the best contacts to get more information (it was Ron who filled me in).

I have a note that it was converted to a 2-4-0 with tender at some point - what's it look like today?

JAC

> Jim,

> Great stuff! Thanks for taking your time to
> write all this down - it now gets printed
> and put in the "big file."

> There was another tourist railroad in
> Hiltons which I know next to nothing about.
> The locomotive was the former Kelly Island
> Lime No. 11 (0-4-0T) now at Prairie Village
> in Madison, SD. I understand it ran there
> with two homemade coaches (still with it
> today) in the early 1980s. Can you supply
> any additional details?

> Thanks

> Jeff Terry

Post subject: Re: no. 11
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:54 am 

[ref., ex-Kelley Island Lime 11]
> I have a note that it was converted to a
> 2-4-0 with tender at some point - what's it
> look like today?

It's (back to?) an 0-4-0T at the Prairie Village Herman & Milwaukee RR at Madison,SD. See below link for the entry for the engine at steamlocomotive.info.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

Kelly Island Lime 11 today

Post subject: Another Whistlin' (in) Dixie in 60s/70s
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:00 am 

Remembered another "fallen flag" steam tourist railroad from down south...

FL

PETTICOAT JUNCTION & GHOST TOWN RR
Yet another western-theme park railroad. This one was 3 foot gauge and was part of the long gone Petticoat Junction Amusement Park at Panama City, FL. It lasted from the early 60's until the early 80's. I believe there was no direct relation to the popular TV show other than the name. Once again the usual open cars, but the motive power had a twist. The "big" engine was ex-Argent Lumber 2-6-0 1 (re# PJ&G 7), a classy little Porter that still sported its "trademark Argent Lumber" cabbage stack--no fake stack needed on this one! The mogul shared work with two porter-built 0-4-0's (both rebuilt from 0-4-0T's). PJ&G 5 was ex-Armor Phosphate and PJ&G 9 was ex-Carbon Limestone. After the park and railroad closed, the 3 locomotives were bought by Fred Hallmark and moved to Warrior, AL.

Oh yes, there was the Blacksburg & Cherokee Falls RR at Blacksburg, SC. Used ex-Norfolk Navy Yard 0-4-0T 9, which today operates (tank removed, converted to a tender engine) at the Denton Farm Park at Denton, NC.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

Post subject: Wilbur T. Golson and a chance to run.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:16 am 

> PETTICOAT JUNCTION & GHOST TOWN RR
> Yet another western-theme park railroad.
> This one was 3 foot gauge and was part of
> the long gone Petticoat Junction Amusement
> Park at Panama City, FL. It lasted from the
> early 60's until the early 80's. I believe
> there was no direct relation to the popular
> TV show other than the name. Once again the
> usual open cars, but the motive power had a
> twist. The "big" engine was
> ex-Argent Lumber 2-6-0 1 (re# PJ&G 7), a
> classy little Porter that still sported its
> "trademark Argent Lumber" cabbage
> stack--no fake stack needed on this one! The
> mogul shared work with two porter-built
> 0-4-0's (both rebuilt from 0-4-0T's).
> PJ&G 5 was ex-Armor Phosphate and
> PJ&G 9 was ex-Carbon Limestone. After
> the park and railroad closed, the 3
> locomotives were bought by Fred Hallmark and
> moved to Warrior, AL.

Another good memory, and my first opportunity as a steam engineer!

Here's the story: As a high school student in rural Western N.C. I was making a side career out of locating photos of the Graham Co. RR through contacts listed in Railroad Magazine. One of the persons was Wilbur T. Golson, who was a retired radio operator for the Louisiana State Police. Golson was a big steam fan and had worked himself into summer job running at Petticoat Junction. We corresponded often and he urged me to visit, which I did with my parents in Spring 1979. Upon arrival, we made one loop with the Argent Mogul and with the test run, Golson showed me how the engine had been converted to burn oil and how all the controls moved to the engineer's side. I recall the burner was something like a blow torch. Any way, after the first loop, Golson called me over from the fireman's side and said, here, take it. I'd never run an engine before, much less a steam engine, but he stood over me and helped me with the engine. Just before departing the station, the burner was turned up and the brakes--steam brakes I recall--were released. It was a real job trying to figure out when to apply them for a smooth stop in the stations. His only other advice that day was to blow the whistle as much as possible when along the highway. "It brings in more tourists," he said.

Today, Golson is long gone. His negatives survive in good hands. The park is gone. The good memories remain of another man who helped nurture a young man's love of steam engines.

http://nctrans.org
Wrinnbo@aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:53 am 

> Whatever became of the Crab Orchard &
> Egyptian Railroad?

> G. Mark

My wife and I shot the #17 on the line in 1985 en route to Colorado. Got to enjoy the steam-up, switching in the yard, and some running down the line. #17 looked real good in those days and I have a little video of that trip.
I think the #17 went to the Elkhorn Valley RR in Fremont, NE, and may have gone somewhere else after that.

A shot of the 17 is on my website(sorry no video available at this time)in Greg's Gallery.
Greg

Videos
sales@gregschollvideo.com

Post subject: More Dixie Perhaps?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:57 am 

Jim...I had the pleasure of seeing the Hot Springs line with the 1286 in the 70's, and the Virginia Central 1238/1286 on day in 1993.

I am not sure if Arkansas rates as Dixie, but there are two more maybe for consideration.

Reader Railroad with two engines, one of which was #11, now at Paris, Kentucky, part of defunct Kentucky Central operation...last ran 1993. Reader was a mixed train operation in the 60's, and our family rode behind #11 in 1963 en route to Mexico.

Another one in Arkansas is Eureka Springs and North Arkansas, but not sure if it was around in the 60's and 70's in keeping with your timeframe.

Greg Scholl

Videos
sales@gregschollvideo.com

Post subject: More about the photo
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:11 pm 

I took the photo of No. 11 in 2001. Its tender was sitting off in the weeds still lettered "Deadwood Central." The DC operated over the former CB&Q line out of Deadwood, SD for only a few seasons in the late 1980s. They painted it up the way it appears today. The little tender, by the way, was only for holding extra fuel - no water tanks.

Jeff Terry

Post subject: Question Re: Whistlin' in Florida
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:14 pm 

Does anyone know anything about "Six Gun Territory" which was supposedly near Orlando before Mickey moved there? We know they had Scott Lumber #15 (2-4-2) which migrated to Florida and then, amazingly, back home to near Scott, S.C., we also are pretty darn sure they never washed the boiler out. What else did this outfit have? Disposition? Scott Lumber #15 is now in Savannah, undergoing restoration. If you look up "rode hard and put away wet", you should find a picture of this loke.

rudd@cogdellmendrala.com