It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: No Steam on the WMSR for the Near Future?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:26 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
co614 wrote:
A couple of corrections to TGB's above posting. The miraculous restoration of Rdg. 2101 ( AFT 1 ) took 30 days and 30 nights not 28 and the vast majority of the work done on her during her winter 1975-76 spent in the shop in Birmingham was cosmetic not mechanical.

My recollection was based on the railfan-press reporting of the 1970s, which hyped "28 days" repeatedly.

I went to double-check on the "quick-cheat" home of the C-Minus term paper, Wikipedia, and it said "30 days"--but it ALSO said:

Quote:
No. 2101 was pulled from the scrapyard and restored to operating condition on March 28, 1975 in only 30 days in the same building where it was constructed from a 2-8-0 nearly 30 years earlier—and painted as "American Freedom Train #1".

Being that I personally know/knew a couple individuals who assisted with its restoration at Riverside Yard in Locust Point, Baltimore at the time, since I knew that quote above was poppycock, I figured the "30 days" and "Birmingham" was also erroneous. (And I heard from the folks I knew how "rushed" the job was at Riverside.)

As for 2101 at Reading, I also remember photos of 2101 being hoisted in the air at Reading Shops during one particular 1970s rebuild, probably in Railfan Magazine, that at the time reported the undertaking of more "uncompleted" overhaul items--probably for its planned stint on the Chessie Steam Special in 1977.

So now you have something better to do than to criticize me. Head to Wikipedia and bloviate there. (Then watch your edits be flagged for "potential bias.")

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:53 pm 

I know everybody likes to pile on with the WMSR based on history, but that article is pretty detailed and forthright, actually. If you've ever met Wes, you'll understand how much credibility has been regained, let alone ridership.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:24 pm 

Steam locomotives don't need to have every part in new condition - tourist railroading is a balancing act between the need to keep trains running and tickets sold while prioritizing repairs as needed or when convenient to keep them in safe and suitable for service condition. These guys have a plan, and the ability to execute it competently to suit their requirements which looks a lot like very good management and practice to me. Their reality isn't Union Pacific's or Canadian Southern's.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:34 pm 

The Cumberland Virtual Railfan Camera showed 1309 returning to service and leading today's train.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:21 pm 

Thank you for this good news, Mr Betz.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:55 pm 

It has occurred to me that WMSR would be a logical landing spot for NdeM 3028, given its size and relative modern design, and the lack of love for foreign engines in the USA (though some do appreciate them), so repainting it as "Western Maryland" wouldn't be such a big deal. But I'll bet that they are still paying off their last expensive steam rebuild.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:50 pm 

Right all around, Mr PMC. The #3028 can go anywhere a NKP Berk can, and a few more places besides, since she has a little lighter axle loading. WMSR is also raising money to fix up their #734. I like the way you think, however....

Sammy King

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:08 am 

I'm tempted to point out -- although Mr. King would Not Like It -- that it would be comparatively easy to 'kitbash' some components (see the examples of "D&H 302", the Clinchfield Challenger, and the SY modified to look more like NH 3026) to make the Niagara look like a slightly smaller Potomac. With a little care, most if not all the 'mods' would leave the historic fabric either intact or easily preserved under cover.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:12 am 

I don't object to disguising the #3028. What I DO object to is outright mutilation or terminal neglect. In fact, I enjoyed the living Hell out of the time I spent being entertained by the WMSR version of C&O 1309....

Sammy King

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:33 pm 

For your viewing pleasure, here is a link to a cell phone video of 1309 just before arriving at Frostburg MD on October 11, 2023:

https://i.imgur.com/GbEnle1.mp4

Dog Tax:

https://i.imgur.com/U2cLTZI.jpeg

I also spent some money in the gift shop.

Brian Helfrich

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:01 pm 

Any updates on her?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:16 am 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Any updates on her?

Any time anyone inquires with WMSR on Facebook the answer is "Still fundraising"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:38 pm 

Doesn't sound promising... I'm gonna kick myself for the rest of my life if I missed out on her! Time has moved faster post covid - hard to get as much in!