It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NJ and PA Tourist Lines in the 1960's
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:27 pm 

Hi friends,

Ted Miles commented deep in the Strasburg thread about the number of tourist roads in Pennsylvania during the 1950's and 60's. I'll toss New Jersey into that mix, too.

Anyone want to count up the departed and where the assets went?

I'll add a few -

Black River Railroad - Chester, NJ - Aborted attempt to run on the CNJ High Bridge branch. DL&W 2-6-0 went on (as duscussed on RYPN) and the line morphed into the Black River & Western in Ringoes.

Morris County Central - Started in Morris County,NJ at Whippany, left Morris County for Newfoundland and kept the name. Army 0-6-0 #4063 back at Whippany and a restoration candidate. Southern 2-8-0 #385 apparently in Newark, NJ (in storage inside the Worthington Complex, I have been told). What about the coaches? Did the gas-mechanical made it back to Whippany, too?

Trolley Valhalla - Jobstown,NJ - South Jersey trolley museum, moved to Buckingham, PA then to Philly. Now morphed into the Electric City operation in Scranton. Numerous cars lost along the way (many due to vandalism in Philly). Collection not all in one place.

Anyone with more info? Other lines? How about for these...

Wawa & Concordville
Valley Forge Scenic
Quakertown & Eastern
Carrol Park & Western

others?

Rob

trains@robertjohndavis.com

Post subject: Re: NJ and PA Tourist Lines in the 1960's
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:24 pm 

I'll add to the list one that still exists today....the New Hope & Ivyland Railroad in Bucks County, Pa. Founded in 1966 as an all steam freight and passenger hauler, it has changed hands several times. Currently the railroad is owned by a for-profit group which operates one of the steam engines (2-8-0 No. 40) in excursion service in addition to a GP30 and 2 C30-7s in freight service.

smith@drexel.edu

Post subject: Other lines to account for......
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:39 pm 

Magee Transportation Museum, a trolley operation north of Bloomsburg, Pa., destroyed by Tropical Storm Agnes in 1972, shortly after its founding. I have a disposition list here somewhere.

Everett RR, Everett, Pa. Ex-Morehead & North Fork 2-6-2 11 just returned to Everett last year (and I have promised a writeup of Alan Maples' reportings to me for ages); much of the rest went to the steam thresher operation at Williams Grove (near Dillsburg), Pa. where 11 sat for years.

Penn View Mountain RR, Blairsville--most of the stuff went to what later became the Gettysburg RR, but Duquesne Slag 0-6-0 #8 was last reported by Conrad's Directory as being stored in Clarks Summit, Pa.

lner4472@bcpl.net

Post subject: Duquesne Slag 0-6-0 #8
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:00 pm 

The Duquesne Slag 0-6-0 #8 eventually went to a group of people in Clarks summit including at least one Steamtown Employee. When the Steamtown museum complex was being developed in the early 90's the idea of a sectioned engine came about. Dave Conrad aquired the engine and did most of the cutaway work on site in Clarks Summit (before the engines was trucked to Steamtown). He then traded the engine to the NPS at Steamtown in turn for CPR 1293, which then went to Ohio Central which operates the engine to this day.

The engine is currently lettered for its first owner, the Spang - Chalfonte Co.

Dave Crosby

bing@epix.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:50 pm 

> Hi friends,

> Black River Railroad - Chester, NJ - Aborted
> attempt to run on the CNJ High Bridge
> branch.
It wasn't the CNJ High Bridge Branch, but rather the CNJ's Chester Branch, between Chester and Long Valley, NJ

> Morris County Central - Started in Morris
> County,NJ at Whippany, left Morris County
> for Newfoundland and kept the name. Army
> 0-6-0 #4063 back at Whippany and a
> restoration candidate. Southern 2-8-0 #385
> apparently in Newark, NJ (in storage inside
> the Worthington Complex, I have been told).
Not sure what the Worthington Complex is, but former MCC Southern 2-8-0 385 is in one of Joseph Supor & Sons' warehouses in Harrison, NJ. Supposedly the Supors are restoring 385 to operating condition (or so I've been told). Before coming to Harrison, 385 was displayed at the Bergen VoTech School in Hackensack, NJ.

> What about the coaches?
One of the former MCC CNJ coaches is still (as of last year) at Newfoundland. The others may have scrapped(??).

> Did thegas-mechanical made it back to Whippany,
> too?
The former MCC NYS&W/SeaTrain Whitcomb is now at the Whippany Museum, recently restored as NYS&W 150. The former MCC Plymouth is/was stored on the NYS&W at Butler, NJ.

> Trolley Valhalla - Jobstown,NJ
Also tried locations at Medford and Tansboro, NJ before Jobstown and finally leaving for PA.

> How about for these...

> Wawa & Concordville
Ran 5 miles between these two PA towns on a portion of the former PRR Octoraro Branch. After the W&C folded, its equipment sat at Concordville for years. USN/Philadelphia Navy Yard 0-6-0T 3 was acquired by Brian Woodcock and moved to the Wilmington & Western RR in DE. It was restored and operated on the W&W before going to the Queen Annes RR, also in DE. After running on the Queen Annes RR, 3 is now stored there. Pacific Lumber 2-8-2T 37 was acquired by Skip Small and also moved to the W&W. It too was restored and operated on the W&W. 37 is now stored there. The W&C had 4 open excursion cars that had been a plant tour train for Bethlehem Steel (they were made from CNJ wood boxcars). One of these went to the W&W and was used for a while. Kurt Bell reported that other 3 are still rotting in Concordville. The former DL&W steel coaches were scrapped with parts from 1 salvaged by the W&W.

> Valley Forge Scenic
Ran about 3 miles between Kimberton and Ironsides, PA on the last segment of the RDG's Pickering Valley Branch. Machine shop owner and steam machinery buff Malcohm Ottinger was the man behind this operation. Used former GM&N 4-6-2 425 and handfull of former RDG steel coaches. Former Mead Corporation 0-6-0 300 (nee-AB&A 58) was also on the roster. The engines were acquired by Brian Woodcock (425 in part with 3 other people) and were moved to the W&W. 425, of course, was sold to the BM&R/R&N. The 0-6-0, renumbered back to 58, spent years stored on the W&W and was later moved first to Chadds Ford, PA and then to Avondale, PA. More recently Mr. Woodcock donated 58 to the W&W, who returned it to operation. The VFS RR's Reading coaches went to the New Hope & Ivyland RR.

> Quakertown & Eastern
Ran a whole series of day-long mainline steam fantrips during the 1968-70 time period. Operated over LV, CNJ, and L&HR routes--I believe RDG and PRR as well. Car dealer Francis Ede was behind this operation along with Paul Hersch and others. They used former Buffalo Creek & Gauley 2-8-0 4 and a fleet of former RDG steel coaches (plus at least 1 former CNJ). Paul Hersch bought a second 2-8-0--14--from the BC&G, but it was never restored for use before the Q&E folded. 4 and some of the RDG cars went to the Southwest Virgina Scenic RR at Hiltons, VA where they operated during late 1974 and in 1975. Later this equipment went to the NCTM at Spencer, NC. After Hersch died, his widow gave 14 to the W&W and it was stored there for many years. More recently it was moved for display at Gaithersburg, MD. If I remember right, some of the Q&E coaches went to PA Power & Light to be outfitted as an atomic energy exhibit.

> Carrol Park & Western
A tourist railroad and western-theme town ("Deadwood Flats") attraction located near Bloomsburg, PA. About 2 miles of track laid to the "coal mine gauge" of 48 inches. Used former Jeddo-Highlands Coal 0-4-0 117 that was rebuilt from a tank engine into a tender engine. Also used former Elk River Coal & Lumber 2-Truck Climax 3 that was converted from standard gauge to 48 inch gauge for use on the CP&W. Coaches came from the CNR's Newfoundland narrow gauge and two more (a combine and a coach) were homemade out of former DL&W cabooses. Also had a converted former PRR 4-wheel caboose and several other standard gauge cars including a former PRR business car. The CP&W faded away after it owner died. The Newfoundland coaches found their way to the NJMT/Pine Creek RR at Allaire State Park in NJ. After traveling to various locations in PA, VA, and NJ, 0-4-0 117 and the homemade combine and coach joined the other ex-CP&W stock at the Pine Creek RR. Due to difference in gauge (PCK is 3'), 117 is a display piece, but the combine and coach are to be restored (and to ride on EBT hopper car trucks). Fundraising is underway not only to restore these cars, but to provide handicap accessibility with a wheelchair lift. Climax 3 went to the Roaring Camp & Big Trees Narrow Gauge RR at Felton, CA. It is being rebuilt for operation and will be converted again in gauge--this time to 3 foot. I believe most of the other CP&W stock was scrapped, but I think I remember someone (Kurt??) saying that the PRR caboose wound up at the Red Caboose Motel at Strasburg, PA.

>others?

In NJ:
Whippany Toonerville RR.
Run by and on the Morristown & Erie RR out of Whippany, NJ. Ran after the Morris County Central RR left the M&E for Newfoundland, NJ. This operation took place during 1974-77 and covered the portion on the M&E between Whippany and Morristown (the MCC--except for its first season--ran the other way to Roseland). They used the late Sam Freeman's former FEC 4-6-2 148 and fleet of CNJ steel coaches. After the M&E pulled the plug on their tourist train, 148 was to go to the original Adirondack tourist RR (not the present one), but wound up at the CVRM (now RMNE) at Essex, CT after Freeman died. After changing owners a few times, 148 sits at Traverse City, MI, her most recent overhaul apparently aborted. I'm not sure what happened to all of the WT's former CNJ coaches, but I believe at least 1 of them survives today on the Conway Scenic Ry in NH.

In PA:
Penn-View Mountain RR.
Sloan Cornell's first shot at tourist railroading on about 2 miles of private ROW near Blairsville, PA. Original power was former Sprang Chalfont & Co 0-6-0 8 which is now at Steamtown as the "sectioned" display locomotive. Also used former Mississippian 2-8-0 76 which later went to Cornell's Gettysburg RR and is now owned and stored by the Ohio Central RR.

Everett RR.
Operated on about 4 miles of the former Huntington & Broad Top Mountain RR between Everett and Tatesville, PA. A common carrier freight hauler, but hauled tourists behind former Morefield & North Fork RR 2-6-2 11. Used former Erie and DL&W steel coaches, former B&O flat cars-turned-open excursion cars, and a former B&O wood caboose. Also had other stock including several B&O wood coaches and a 4-wheel wood caboose from the H&BTM. Most of the equipment went to the Williams Grove Amusement Park & Speedway near Dillsburg, PA. in 1971. Most of it is still there (much of it is in poor condition), but 2-6-2 11 and the B&O caboose has been moved back to Everett for display by the local historical society.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:59 pm 

There was also a 2-foot gauge line at Plains, PA, near Wilkes-Barre, using a German 0-4-0T. Can't recall the name of the operation, but it was owned at least in part by a gentleman named George Spohrer.

K4s1361@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:54 pm 

Although a smaller operation compared to the others so far mentioned, the Pine Creek Railroad, today the NJ Museum of Transportation, has been hauling passengers since 1952. We did about 48,000 passengers in 2002.

J.R.

> Hi friends,

> Ted Miles commented deep in the Strasburg
> thread about the number of tourist roads in
> Pennsylvania during the 1950's and 60's.
> I'll toss New Jersey into that mix, too.

> Anyone want to count up the departed and
> where the assets went?

> I'll add a few -

> Black River Railroad - Chester, NJ - Aborted
> attempt to run on the CNJ High Bridge
> branch. DL&W 2-6-0 went on (as duscussed
> on RYPN) and the line morphed into the Black
> River & Western in Ringoes.

> Morris County Central - Started in Morris
> County,NJ at Whippany, left Morris County
> for Newfoundland and kept the name. Army
> 0-6-0 #4063 back at Whippany and a
> restoration candidate. Southern 2-8-0 #385
> apparently in Newark, NJ (in storage inside
> the Worthington Complex, I have been told).
> What about the coaches? Did the
> gas-mechanical made it back to Whippany,
> too?

> Trolley Valhalla - Jobstown,NJ - South
> Jersey trolley museum, moved to Buckingham,
> PA then to Philly. Now morphed into the
> Electric City operation in Scranton.
> Numerous cars lost along the way (many due
> to vandalism in Philly). Collection not all
> in one place.

> Anyone with more info? Other lines? How
> about for these...

> Wawa & Concordville
> Valley Forge Scenic
> Quakertown & Eastern
> Carrol Park & Western

> others?

> Rob

http://www.njmt.org
jrmay@njmt.org

Post subject: More Obscure Tourist Line History
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:58 pm 

> One of the former MCC CNJ coaches is still
> (as of last year) at Newfoundland. The
> others may have scrapped(??)

Yes according to Steve Hepler of the Whippany Ry Museum all but one of the CNJ coaches survives. The others were involved in a run-a-way in the mid-1980s and were heavily damaged; as a result they were scrapped by the NYS&W. I believe an ex-PRR wooden cabin car also still resides at Newfoundland.

The W&C
> had 4 open excursion cars that had been a
> plant tour train for Bethlehem Steel (they
> were made from CNJ wood boxcars). One of
> these went to the W&W and was used for a
> while. Kurt Bell reported that other 3 are
> still rotting in Concordville.

Actually, the W&C owned a total of seven open-air cars converted from wooden boxcars. One of the cars was left at Chester, Pa., (where the equipment had been stored prior to transfer to Concordville) and never brought over to the W&C in 1967. This was the car that went to the W&W in 1977, and since has been cut down to a flat car. Only two of the open-air boxcars remain at Concordville, adjacent to the former James Pool Co. complex. Plus the W&C owned the four DL&W Boontons, 568, 570,604 and 684 and ex-CNJ steel coach No. 1123 (which was used to display a model railroad layout as part of the aborted gift shop complex, and scrapped in the late 70's). The seats, and cushions from the coaches were sold to Strasburg RR in 1973. The W&C also owned an ex-NYC wooden caboose used as a rest room facility which went to the W&W in 1977 (bought by Brian Woodcock and Skip Rider) but was torched by vandals, and an ex-Ma & Pa 4-wheel bobber No. 2003 which was used as a tourist information center on Rt. 322/Rt. 1 in Concordville. This caboose was later sold to the Red Caboose Lodge in Strasburg (1973) and has since gone to the Ma & Pa Preservation Society in Muddy Creek Forks, Pa. The W&C also owned ex-RDG camelback tender No. 90961 which was used in fire fighting service on the Reading and served as a water canteen for No. 37. Prior to her arrival at the W&C, 37 received minor repairs at the PRR Wilmington Shops. The W&C engines were maintained by Weldin Stumpf, a PRR boilermaker from Wilmington Shops who also maintained the 92 and 98 at W&W for many years.

The former
> DL&W steel coaches were scrapped with
> parts from 1 salvaged by the W&W.

Six volunteers from the Wilmington & Western bought DL&W Boonton coach No. 604 in June 1980 with the intent of bringing it to the W&W. For whatever reason the car never made it to the W&W and was instead cut up and salvaged for parts, including at least one set of trucks.

> Ran about 3 miles between Kimberton and
> Ironsides, PA on the last segment of the
> RDG's Pickering Valley Branch. Machine shop
> owner and steam machinery buff Malcohm
> Ottinger was the man behind this operation.
> Used former GM&N 4-6-2 425 and handfull
> of former RDG steel coaches. Former Mead
> Corporation 0-6-0 300 (nee-AB&A 58) was
> also on the roster.

A freind of mine who was associated with Ottinger says that he initially purchased the locomotives (including the mine Vulcans) as part of a planned theme park that was to be built in Phoenixville in the early 60's that never materialized. Then an effort began to run trains on the Pickering Valley branch and his equipment was utilized. 58 was never used on the VFS. The VFS was headed up by Guy Obrecht, a former RDG Co. employee. After the VFS shut down in about 1969 the assets were purchased by the NH&I where Obrecht became VP of Operations. Interestingly Obrecht never allowed Ottinger to run his own engine (425) on the VFS. In later years his friend Brian Woodcock let him run 4-4-0 No. 98 on the W&W once and Ottinger was in tears. He said it was the first time anyone had ever let him run a steam engine in his life!

The engines were
> acquired by Brian Woodcock (425 in part with
> 3 other people) and were moved to the
> W&W.

425 was purchased by Woodcock, Melvyn "Skip" Small and Skip Rider in 1975. 425 was only fired up once on the W&W (on a dare, even after the tube time expired!)--in 12/1978 to supply steam heat at Marshallton for the DL&W Boonton cars prior to running Santa Claus trips with No. 98 (425 was not used though; she stayed in the Yard). They did some running in the Marshallton Yard that day but that was it. 425 was thought to be too heavy for the B&O Landenberg branch's wooden trestles. Interestingly, the B&O ran GP-7's on the branch that were heavier than the Southern 722 which was leased by W&W in 1979--and not permitted to run on the branch by the B&O due to fears of bridge weight restrictions!

They used
> former Buffalo Creek & Gauley 2-8-0 4
> and a fleet of former RDG steel coaches
> (plus at least 1 former CNJ).

It was CNJ combine No. 300, later sold to the Kettle Moraine Ry in Wisconsin. KM removed the enclosed vestibules. I've heard it since has been sold but not sure to whom.

I believe most of the other
> CP&W stock was scrapped, but I think I
> remember someone (Kurt??) saying that the
> PRR caboose wound up at the Red Caboose
> Motel at Strasburg, PA.

I don't think so. The wooden 4-wheel bobber you might be thinking of is ex-Ma & Pa No. 2003 which Red Caboose Lodge used to have close to the Strasburg tracks at the edge of their parking lot. This caboose was sold in 4/1992 to the M&P Preservation Society in Muddy Creek Forks, Pa.

I'm not sure what
> happened to all of the WT's former CNJ
> coaches, but I believe at least 1 of them
> survives today on the Conway Scenic Ry in
> NH.

Actually two of the CNJ coaches went to Conway Scenic.

> In PA:
> Penn-View Mountain RR.
> Sloan Cornell's first shot at tourist
> railroading on about 2 miles of private ROW
> near Blairsville, PA. Original power was
> former Sprang Chalfont & Co 0-6-0 8
> which is now at Steamtown as the
> "sectioned" display locomotive.
> Also used former Mississippian 2-8-0 76
> which later went to Cornell's Gettysburg RR
> and is now owned and stored by the Ohio
> Central RR.

Cornell also had ex-PRR doddlebug No. 4666 stored here which later went to the NH&I and BR&W.

Most of the equipment went to the
> Williams Grove Amusement Park & Speedway
> near Dillsburg, PA. in 1971. Most of it is
> still there (much of it is in poor
> condition), but 2-6-2 11 and the B&O
> caboose has been moved back to Everett for
> display by the local historical society.

The ex-Everett wooden coaches stored at the end of the Williams Grove spur were torched by vandals in the mid-1990s.

More tourist line tidbits of the past.

K.R. Bell

http://rrmuseumpa.org

Post subject: Dep't of Corrections
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:04 pm 

> Yes according to Steve Hepler of the
> Whippany Ry Museum all but one of the CNJ
> coaches survives.

Whoops, I meant to say only one of CNJ coaches survived. My apologies!

K.R. Bell

http://rrmuseumpa.org

Post subject: Great post, Jim and #385
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:48 pm 

> Not sure what the Worthington Complex is,
> but former MCC Southern 2-8-0 385 is in one
> of Joseph Supor & Sons' warehouses in
> Harrison, NJ.

The Worthington buildings are just northeast of the PATH Harrison station along the Northeast Corridor. The NJ Transit light rail vehicles were assembled there. I think these are Supor's warehouses.

>Supposedly the Supors are
> restoring 385 to operating condition (or so
> I've been told).

I have heard some grand plans, but have no solid info to pass along.

It would be nice to see #385 in Spencer someday.
Excellent info, Jim!

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:54 pm 

> Although a smaller operation compared to the
> others so far mentioned, the Pine Creek
> Railroad
For a small operation, the Pine Creek had a big influence. There was the Cranberry Creek operation at nearby Cowboy City, then Pete Rasmussen moved north and ran the Middletown & New Jersey. The Empire State Railway Miseum operated the 2-6-2 that is now at Essex over the M&NJ for a few years. Of course, the Empire State Railway Museum was the original publisher of the Steam Passenger Service Directory.
Jay Wulfson moved north and formed the Vermont Railway after the Rutland folded.
Although it wasn't full-size, I have fond memories of the Centreville & Southwestern, a 2" scale railroad operated by Henry Becker at his Dairy Farm in Roseland. The Upper Saddle River RR operated a 2' gauge Baldwin 0-4-0T that had a gas engine in the firebox.
A group DID try to save the CNJ High Bridge Branch, but weren't successful in reaching agreement with the CNJ. By the way, the CNJ Chester Branch connected with the High Bridge Branch, so the confusion is understandable.
And of course, High Iron Company ran a number of trips over the CNJ and E-L. Later, the Mainline Steam Foundation ran a couple of trips over the CNJ and LV.
But the real show was the Class 1's. I can remember standing on the platform at Rahway with trains moving on all 6 tracks. Riding in Obsevation 1178 to Phillipsburg on the CNJ was always a treat. Watching the change from GG1's to K-4's, and later E-8's at South Amboy was special. I also remember the crossing guards and their shanty there as well. Swimming in the Delaware River at Kittatinny Beach and watching DL&W F-units pulling trains through the Delaware Water Gap is another memory I treasure. Yep, New Jersey was a neat place to grow up in during the 50's and 60's!

Martyhuck@aol.com

Post subject: Fan Trips in NJ
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:07 pm 

Marty,

Great memories. I was born at the Jersey Shore in 1968, so when I was a kid I thought everyone had E-8's during the week, a live Shay on weekends and mainline fantrips at special times.

Thanks to Ross, George Hart, Sam Freeman and a slew of others (including a sympathetic mom), I got to see and ride behind a lot of steam.

The most memorable (good and bad) was FEC #148 and CPR #972 doubleheaded on the Lehigh Valley mainline from Bethlehem, PA to South Plainfield.

By the time I was 7 I had seen #2101, #2102, #148, #972 and #759 on the mainline in NJ (and Army #4039 and SRR #385 on the Susquhanna -- Mom used to take me for the Snowflake Special winter trips to Beaver Lake -- some of them were quite an experience). Toss in BR&W #60 and CN #1553 on the NH&I and you have to wonder why I like steam?

Fan trips in those days (help me Howard P.) frequented the CNJ mainline across NJ, but also included the LV main, the L&HR, the New York & Long Branch and probably others. I was 20 years too late for the CNJ Camelback and PRR fantrips that corssed my native Monmouth County.

There's not much steam here now, of course, but toss in mainline jaunts in NJ from #614, #765, #142 and #425 and that's quite a stable of steam in the Garden State!

And, yes J.R., through it all the Pine Creek keeps steaming. Bless you guys! My son is all of 8 weeks old, but soon enough he'll be riding the loop with you!

Rob Davis

Post subject: Re: Fan Trips in NJ
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:04 am 

> Marty,

> Great memories. I was born at the Jersey
> Shore in 1968, so when I was a kid I thought
> everyone had E-8's during the week, a live
> Shay on weekends and mainline fantrips at
> special times.

> Thanks to Ross, George Hart, Sam Freeman and
> a slew of others (including a sympathetic
> mom), I got to see and ride behind a lot of
> steam.

> The most memorable (good and bad) was FEC
> #148 and CPR #972 doubleheaded on the Lehigh
> Valley mainline from Bethlehem, PA to South
> Plainfield.

> By the time I was 7 I had seen #2101, #2102,
> #148, #972 and #759 on the mainline in NJ
> (and Army #4039 and SRR #385 on the
> Susquhanna -- Mom used to take me for the
> Snowflake Special winter trips to Beaver
> Lake -- some of them were quite an
> experience). Toss in BR&W #60 and CN
> #1553 on the NH&I and you have to wonder
> why I like steam?

> Fan trips in those days (help me Howard P.)
> frequented the CNJ mainline across NJ, but
> also included the LV main, the L&HR, the
> New York & Long Branch and probably
> others. I was 20 years too late for the CNJ
> Camelback and PRR fantrips that corssed my
> native Monmouth County.

> There's not much steam here now, of course,
> but toss in mainline jaunts in NJ from #614,
> #765, #142 and #425 and that's quite a
> stable of steam in the Garden State!

> And, yes J.R., through it all the Pine Creek
> keeps steaming. Bless you guys! My son is
> all of 8 weeks old, but soon enough he'll be
> riding the loop with you!

> Rob Davis

Rob:

You do just fine, buddy!! As I remember, the LV was a tough outfit-- after the Q&E trips in Pa. in 1969-70, LV wanted nothing to do with steam trips. HICO never operated on the LV. In 1975, MLSF convinced LV's operating trustee (Bob Timpany?) to give it a shot. I suspect the Emerick brothers (1/2 of MLSF's management) had some credibility in the industry. The October 1975 972-148 trip was the result.

Before the Dec. 1975 "Blue Comet" trip on the NY&LB, the only previous steam on the Long Branch was the 1967 HICO 1286 trip to Bridgeton, which covered the NY&LB as far as Red Bank. The 148 trip was, I think, the first steam back at Bay Head since 1957.

I had some "involvement" with both the MLSF trips.

hpincus@mindspring.com

Post subject: Re: Fan Trips in NJ
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:05 am 

> Great memories. I was born at the Jersey
> Shore in 1968, so when I was a kid I thought
> everyone had E-8's during the week, a live

Could there have been a better tourist line than the NY&LB? When were the E-8s retired? Early 1980s? How about Bayhead Junction? It was more like a museum than a revenue line in the '70s. And GG1s of course making the change up in, what was it, South Amboy? Shoot that was still going on through the '70s and early '80s I guess.

> Shay on weekends and mainline fantrips at
> special times.

Yup. And on weekends I fired the Shay at Pine Creek. Or the #26 or the Lady Edith. Did that for years. And will again once we do the boiler inspection and tire job. Look for our Porter roll out this spring. Gads we have some serious money into this thing.

> And, yes J.R., through it all the Pine Creek
> keeps steaming. Bless you guys! My son is
> all of 8 weeks old, but soon enough he'll be
> riding the loop with you!

Rob, thanks for the kind words. Marty too. We just plug along quietly over here. BTW, 8 weeks is plenty old enough for a shop tour or cab ride. Start them off right.

J.R.

jrmay@njmt.org

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:12 am 

> to 3 foot. I believe most of the other
> CP&W stock was scrapped, but I think I
> remember someone (Kurt??) saying that the
> PRR caboose wound up at the Red Caboose
> Motel at Strasburg, PA.

Shoot, since we have just about all the rest of the CP&W rolling stock, can we confirm where the 4 wheel caboose got to?

We also have the two 4' gauge CP&W motor cars and trailer.

jrmay@njmt.org