It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The CNJ . . . Whats Out There?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:15 pm 

I would like to know what is out there from the CNJ. I would like to know about surviving locomotives. I don't think there is much out there. Thanks in advance!
Aaron
~!HAPPY NEW YEAR!~

norfolk_western_611@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: The CNJ . . . Whats Out There?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:33 am 

> I would like to know what is out there from
> the CNJ. I would like to know about
> surviving locomotives. I don't think there
> is much out there. Thanks in advance!
> Aaron
> ~!HAPPY NEW YEAR!~

Aaron, CNJ 113 a really chunky 0-6-0 is undergoing restoration in Minersville, PA

CNJ 592 a camelback (not to be confused with DL&W
952) is in the B&O RR museum. Pretty sure that's it for steam.

The 1000 a "BOXCAB" diesel also @ B&O, Some GP-7's are out there, others may be able to tell you about the diesels wherabouts, ondition, etc.

I have wondered if the SD-35's that were the last order of new power have survived..

Alas, no other steam, no babyface baldwins, i think the rsd's are gone and certainly none of the Pacifics with something over 50,000 pounds of tractive effort.

Sighhh.

Superheater@beer.com

Post subject: Re: The CNJ . . . Whats Out There?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:18 am 

I know there is CNJ RS3 # 1554 at Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania. It was used in the 80's on excursions. It was also used on the Blue Mountain & Reading on some jobs! I was over at Jim Thorpe about a month ago, and I saw it tucked away behind a Penn Central work car. It is starting to rust, and does look like it will be out any time soon! I would really like to see some CNJ locomotive on the excursions at Jim Thorpe. They are using Ex - Bangoor & Aroostock F3A's painted to replicate CNJ loco's. They make great pictures on the "High Bridge" in Hometown, Pennsylvania.

The Blue Mountain Lines

Post subject: Re: NJ Rail Heritage, What Groups Should Be Saving
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:11 am 

With so few CNJ relics existing, rail preservation groups should be looking at other units for acquisition before they're gone. Based on how quickly they're disappearing, or the active life they may have left, some of these former PRR/PC/Reading/LV/EL (etc.) units should be studied and plans of attack made to save them for a collection...

SW1001's... Former Reading, don't expect these to hang around NS or CSX much longer.

SW1500's... Reading and/or PRR. Getting up there in age.

GP35 CR had a few in service in late 1994, and one shell of a unit was used in Operation Lifesaver staged crossing collisions. How many remain, and the status of the "battering ram" unit are unknown.

GP38's... The PRSL versions that made it to CR, with their dual controls and extended cab section, aren't long for the world, if it's not too late already. The other, more "standard," units may also start to disappear soon. Some are already being rebuilt into NS 5500-series GP38-2's.

SD40's... Most were rebuilt to Dash 2 standards by CR, but the changes were mostly internal. There should be some former PRR or NJ-relevant units on the NS and CSX rosters.

SD45-2's... Now relegated to yard service in CR SAA, these units will be gone sooner rather than later. Now is the time to start thinking about saving these EL relics, before they're cut up.

U23B's... the final power, IIRC, delivered in LV colors, but officially financed by the then newly-created CR. Still enough of them to find one here or there, and very important to NJ rail history.

GP40P's... relegated to work train service by CNJ, hopefully some of these CNJ units are saved.

SD40-2's. Nothing speaks of a more healthy and prosperious "Conrail" better than one of their many SD40-2's. It's not too soon to start thinking about saving some CR units... and the Dash 2's are getting up there in age too.

Arrow MU Cars and Comet I commuter coaches... Some of NJT's oldest equipment, and many are already disappearing from the roster. Taken for granted by many a daily commuter, but they'll be the Booton or CNJ coach for the next generation.

As much as we like to remember PRR, EL, Erie, CNJ, and DLW, NJ rail history now also encompasses such companies as PC, Conrail, and NJT. Many steam locomotives were saved because individuals had the foresight to have a plan before they were gone, not after. Conversely, many NJ relics disappeared because they were taken for granted and nothing was done until it was too late.

Now is the time to start looking at a few of these units. It's better now, when they're here, then when they go the way of the GP30 and SD45... which would also be two nice additions for a NJ museum...

Fiv4HghStk@aol.com

Post subject: Lehigh Valley List
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:12 am 

I think I posted my survivng unpreserved Lehigh Valley locomotive list on RYPN several months ago. It has since turned up (uncredited) in other places. :-(

I'll try to dig it up tomorrow.

Rob

trains@robertjohndavis.com

Post subject: Re: PRSL GP38s
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:16 am 

> GP38's... The PRSL versions that made it to
> CR, with their dual controls and extended
> cab section, aren't long for the world, if
> it's not too late already. The other, more
> "standard," units may also start
> to disappear soon. Some are already being
> rebuilt into NS 5500-series GP38-2's.

Looking for up-to-date data, but I remember 2007 and 2008 were sold to the Eureka Southern in California as their 30-31. The rest of the intact fleet was sold to the Bangor & Aroostook (5 units); still unaccounted for, but probably scrapped, is 2000, sent to the North Louisiana & Gulf and probably a victim of the line's sale; 2001 was kitbashed by Speno into a rail grinder propulsion unit.

My belief, however, is that the PRSL fans responsible for saving all the line's intact RDCs near Cape May will be after any ex-PRSL GP38s.

lner4472@bcpl.net

Post subject: Re: NJ Rail Heritage, What Groups Should Be Saving
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:41 am 

Reading Co THS has RDG GP-35 3640 and is raising $$$ for a GP-7. I'm sure an SW-1500 and SW-1001 are on the list for future acquisition.

See http://www.readingrailroad.org/roster_thumbs.html
for the current roster.

Electric City Trolley Museum Association

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:50 am 

> Looking for up-to-date data, but I remember
> 2007 and 2008 were sold to the Eureka
> Southern in California as their 30-31. The
> rest of the intact fleet was sold to the
> Bangor & Aroostook (5 units

PRSL 2012 made it to CSX, then went to LLPX, and is now working on the Eastern Shore RR at Littlecreek Yard, in Norfolk, VA, as LLPX 2014.

NFDRwy@Cox.net

Post subject: The CNJ lists
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:51 am 

Aaron,

Google for Clint Chamberlin's CNJ pages. I worked on a list with him and another fellow about 6 years ago. It needs updating, but it is pretty good.

In terms of unpreserved equipment still turning revenue miles, there is at least one SD40 working for HELM, the GP40P's (rebuilt) and possibly a switcher or two. At least one SW-1 is out of service at RMDI in Pittston, PA.

As for preserved equipment...

There are coaches spread from Califronia to Maine and even in Canada. At least one CNJ heavywieght has been scrapped in the past 4 years. Only Steamtown is running any fully restored as CNJ cars. Steamtown also has CNJ freight and MOW stock. There are business cars in Kempton, PA and Newport, VT, plus the three BC obs mentioned below. Combines exist in several locations in PA.

At least 12 CNJ cabooses survive (including 5 inherited from the LNE).

The Phillipsburg, NJ group has an AAR type CNJ boxcar. You'll aslo find freight cars of CNJ heritage in Farmingdale, NJa nd Jim Thorpe, PA.

Museums or historic groups account for 3 GP-7's, 1 RS-3, the #1000, a 4-4-2 and an 0-6-0.

Right now, the most endangered CNJ rolling stock is the observation Biela in Clinton, NJ.

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:04 pm 

> PRSL 2012 made it to CSX, then went to LLPX,
> and is now working on the Eastern Shore RR
> at Littlecreek Yard, in Norfolk, VA, as LLPX
> 2014.

Not to turn this into an off-topic debate, but 2012 is one of five that was delivered to Penn Central (which assumed the lease) in 1970 and never technically was owned by PRSL. Not that it isn't a New Jersey preservation candidate, but...... (PRSL remained independent of Penn Central until 1976.)

lner4472@bcpl.net

Post subject: Re: The CNJ lists
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:01 pm 

Thanks! The Reading & Northern has 2 Reading SW1500's. One is used at Pittston Yard in Pittstion, PA to service the yard. The other is out of service at Pittston on the dead track. I would like to see the Reading Company Technical & Historical Soceity (RCTHS) get that. It would be a nice addition. Over all I think the RCTHS has done a great job at preserving the Reading. Are any of the GP's restored? I don't want to stray to far off topic, but I was told there are 4 FA1's out there still on tourists lines. Does anyone know any information on who owns 1? Thanks again!
Aaron
~!HAPPY NEW YEAR!~

The Blue Mountain Lines

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:51 pm 

> Thanks! The Reading & Northern has 2
> Reading SW1500's. One is used at Pittston
> Yard in Pittstion, PA to service the yard.
> The other is out of service at Pittston on
> the dead track. I would like to see the
> Reading Company Technical & Historical
> Soceity (RCTHS) get that. It would be a nice
> addition. Over all I think the RCTHS has
> done a great job at preserving the Reading.
> Are any of the GP's restored? I don't want
> to stray to far off topic, but I was told
> there are 4 FA1's out there still on
> tourists lines. Does anyone know any
> information on who owns 1? Thanks again!
> Aaron
> ~!HAPPY NEW YEAR!~

Funny you guys should mention the Reading group. On a whole, I think the folks in Leesport (IIRC, that's where they're based) probably do one of THE best jobs in knowing what equipment to go after, and when. If there's one group that you can assume is going to go out and get original Reading equipment, it's definitely them.

Personally, I feel they should be held up as a model for other groups. All the equipment may not be in musuem-floor condition, but they do an excellent job of saving it from harm's way.

If all groups had the foresight and acquisition skills of the RCTHS, there would be a lot of treasured equipment stashed away out there...

Fiv4HghStk@aol.com

Post subject: How Many Boxcabs are Preserved?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:44 pm 

I know about CNJ #1000 at B&O Museum and B&O #8000 at St. Louis, but how many boxcab electrics are preserved, and where are they?

> Aaron,

> Google for Clint Chamberlin's CNJ pages. I
> worked on a list with him and another fellow
> about 6 years ago. It needs updating, but it
> is pretty good.

> In terms of unpreserved equipment still
> turning revenue miles, there is at least one
> SD40 working for HELM, the GP40P's (rebuilt)
> and possibly a switcher or two. At least one
> SW-1 is out of service at RMDI in Pittston,
> PA.

> As for preserved equipment...

> There are coaches spread from Califronia to
> Maine and even in Canada. At least one CNJ
> heavywieght has been scrapped in the past 4
> years. Only Steamtown is running any fully
> restored as CNJ cars. Steamtown also has CNJ
> freight and MOW stock. There are business
> cars in Kempton, PA and Newport, VT, plus
> the three BC obs mentioned below. Combines
> exist in several locations in PA.

> At least 12 CNJ cabooses survive (including
> 5 inherited from the LNE).

> The Phillipsburg, NJ group has an AAR type
> CNJ boxcar. You'll aslo find freight cars of
> CNJ heritage in Farmingdale, NJa nd Jim
> Thorpe, PA.

> Museums or historic groups account for 3
> GP-7's, 1 RS-3, the #1000, a 4-4-2 and an
> 0-6-0.

> Right now, the most endangered CNJ rolling
> stock is the observation Biela in Clinton,
> NJ.

> Rob

Post subject: Link to Boxcab Survivors Website
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:44 pm 

Here's the list of surviving boxcabs:

http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/boxcabs0.html

Boxcabs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:06 pm 

> At least one SW-1 is out of service at RMDI in > Pittston, PA.

What SW-1 are you talking about? I know the Ex - Reading & Northern SW-1 # 600 is there, but that is an Ex - Warner Sand & Gravel Locomotive. Do you have an information on this unit?

> Museums or historic groups account for 3
> GP-7's, 1 RS-3, the #1000, a 4-4-2 and an
> 0-6-0.

Where are the steam locomotives at?

The Blue Mountain Lines