It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joe Reid Thompson, Obit.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:29 pm 

"Joe Reid Thompson, Jayton,Texas, nationally known train photographer, passed away".

See "Flimsies"...posted 12/27/02 on rypn.org

I am sad to know that an old friend has passed along, Joe Reid Thompson, Railroad/Train photographer since late 1940's.

I had the honor to sit beside Joe at the 2002 annual Pennsylvania Railroad Technical & Historical Society (PRRT&HS) banquet in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania. The banquet where a number of nationally known classic-era rail photographers (including Don Wood and J. Parker Lamb) were recognized for their creative photography over the years.

Joe was recognized over the michrophone (by the PRRT&HS emcee) and along with the rest of the talented photographers during the banquet.

Joe's photography appeared in a variety of books and magazines, including Lucius Beebe's noted "Age of Steam: A Classic Album of American Railroading".

Joe had shared with me his rare and stimulating 16mm footage of PRR Q-2's pulling fast freights through Lima, Ohio. In addition, Joe captured early PRR first generation diesels pulling PRR passengers and frieghts through Lima; PRR K-4's (Mid-1950's) in the New Jersey area and PRR/Penn Central GG-1's, diesels and E-44's in the Philadelphia area in the 1960's.

Joe has left a special creative expression to everyone with his exceptional and historical railphotography in addition to being a fine humanitarian and humorist.

Ron Widman, President,

Crestline Roundhouse Preservation Society.

Crestline PRR Roundhouse
r35bl4s@juno.com