It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stan Kistler passes
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:11 pm 

I just learned that well-known photographer Stan Kistler has died. I think he he had recently turned 90.

I got one of Stan's catalogs back in the mid-60s when I was a teenager. I did purchase a few of his prints at that time.

Through the years I was able to meet Stan when attending Winterail in Stockton, CA. He was a most gracious man to visit with. I inquired then about obtaining some slides of my long-time interest, Pickering Lbr. Corp., but he politely told me that he wasn't ready to part with them yet.

Decades later, I received an email from him asking if I was still interested "in those Pickering slides". I sure was and we met at the State RR. Museum in Sacramento one morning. Stan had reserved a room for us so that I could view what he had without interruption. Besides several hundred original steam logging slides, Stan brought along several of his 4 by 5 black & white negatives of Pickering. I didn't even give them a close exam, I eagerly took what he had and purchased them on the spot. These were followed by many of his Mexican steam 4 by 5's. All were considered to be prizes. Stan was a professional photographer who was interested in railroading and not a railroad fan who purchased a camera and then had to learn it and also the aspects of photography. His work set him apart from most.

It wasn't just the fact the I was obtaining photographic material from one of the finest rail photographers ever, it was that Stan remembered our conversation from years earlier and kept his word. He was a principled man.

We kept in touch through the years. I even met him in Sacramento again and we had lunch with several other fans. Stan was easy to get along with.

Our community has lost another fine member.

Post subject: Re: Stan Kistler passes
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:39 pm 

This is really sad news, Tom, but I thank you for reporting. I never met him in person, but I'll lower the flag to half mast, and remember all the railroad men I've known and lost to Father Time.

Not six months ago, Mr. Kistler emailed me, asking if I would like to buy his NdeM Master Mechanics folio/data book from 1961, with over 40 classes of NdeM steam. Previously I had obtained from him a nice print and a sound recording of my favorite NdeM locomotive, QR-1 #3040. No doubt many others have stories about Mr. Kistler, and how he helped them further an interest in their particular specialty. Hats off, Gentlemen, may he rest in peace..

Sammy King