It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UP 533 Builders Plate Missing
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:35 pm 

Back in 2019 when the Big Boy was heading west across Wyoming, on a rainy day I photographed Union Pacific 2-8-0 No. 533 on display at a park in Rawlins. One of the things I noticed was its unique UP builders plate (right side of the engine only), added when it was rebuilt by the Oregon Short Line's Pocatello Shops in 1916. OSL converted the 2-8-0 from a Vauclain Compound to piston valves with Walschaerts valve gear.

This past June on the drive out to the Great Western Steam Up, it happened to be sunny in Rawlins and I stopped to take a few photos. To my dismay I noticed that the unique builders plate that 533 has worn since being placed on display in 1958 has disappeared. I really hope that it was removed by the city, but I highly doubt it. Keep your eyes open for this one.

Attachments:
UP 533 June 2022.jpg
UP 533 June 2022.jpg [ 784.26 KiB | Viewed 3474 times ]
UP 533 Builders Plate May 2019.jpg
UP 533 Builders Plate May 2019.jpg [ 620.05 KiB | Viewed 3474 times ]

Post subject: Re: UP 533 Builders Plate Missing
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:49 pm 

Jeff -

Perhaps they removed the plate to correct the spelling of Baldwin on a replication. I hope that's not the case, because it would destroy the authenticity, but at least we'd know that the original O.S.L. plate was still in existence and in (supposedly) good hands. What I did notice in your current photo, is that the engine obviously needs some T.L.C. before it starts to deteriorate.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:33 pm 

I am sorry to learn about this and I will be watching to see if this plate should surface. The bolt heads look like they are too easy to remove. This has become all too common. The air horn was recently taken from the M&E Alco that had recently been on display. The thief used a step ladder to get to the horn. People have become very brazen today and there seems to be no fear of getting caught.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:36 am 

No F****** wonder the interchange is becoming far less populated. It took 4 posts for a completely valid thread to turn into partisan nonsense.

It has no relevance in a god dang thread about rail preservation to talk about these things. So, kindly, stop. If anyone wants to gargle political fecal matter do it elsewhere. No one comes here wanting to hear this.

Back onto the point, I’m skeptical if thieves today even know of the potential value of these things anymore. For a whistle or a bell, I would get. But for builder plates? I’m not so sure.

I wouldn’t be surprised but I am indeed questioning if your common thief is looking to the park train to make a couple of bucks in scrap metal these days.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:22 am 

Curious as to how the spelling of Baldwin got so mangled?

Did the person grab the wrong letter stamp?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:44 pm 

The fact that the plate was misspelled doesn't surprise me. I've seen a lot of stuff spelled wrong over the years that you'd think someone would have noticed.
Steamguy73 wrote:
It took 4 posts for a completely valid thread to turn into partisan nonsense.
Yeah, I must have stared at the screen for more than a couple of minutes in slack-jawed befuddlement. I think I actually mumbled, "Really?" while doing so.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:16 pm 

I refrain from commenting on comments to posts, but this one really has me confused. A poster complained that "it took 4 posts for a completely valid thread to turn into partisan nonsense" when theirs was the 4th post in the thread! Did that mean that the person also considered their own post as being partisan nonsense? I made the second post and not sure exactly what I did, but I guess whatever it was, it was "partisan nonsense". So, I guess the answer is to just refrain from commenting on any threads. Obviously much safer that way. Sure don't want to offend anyone.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:37 pm 

Les, the comment in question was removed at some point after Steamguy73 wrote his response.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:39 pm 

Hi Les,
You simply missed some late July fireworks is all. Bait was cast and then bait was taken but thankfully moderated out...........mld

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:51 pm 

SD70dude and mldeets - Appreciate the explanation.

Les