> They are sitting on 6"x8"x8' wood
> crossties. If you look a little to the
> northeast, you can see some blotches that
> are the broad gage trucks sitting in the
> yard. MATA just bought replacement standard
> gage trucks from the Tandy Subway system,
> which will hasten their efforts to get the
> cars in service.

The trucks that were used under the Tandy cars were air-electric trucks from Washington, though, right? I know that Tandy also had a couple of Chicago PCC "L" cars that were bought for parts - are the trucks that will be used on the TTC PCC's from those cars?

Frank Hicks

fullparallel@wideopenwest.com

Post subject: JAIL TIME
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 9:03 pm 

Heard someone got sent to jail for shooting pictures from Tower area. Any truth to the rumor?

retsquid@tvec.net

Post subject: Re: TerraServer Images
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 12:08 am 

Also missing: The ex-Pere Marquette roundhouse in New Buffalo, Michigan, which was adaptively re-used as a small shopping center.

New Buffalo, MI
pnichol6@prodigy.net

Post subject: Homeland Defense
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:28 am 

I think it was one of the briefs or flimsies something that some guy (a train spotter) was roughed up by a railroad dick or the local PD for getting too close to RR property. He was sneaking around our nation's transportation infrastructure taking pictures and writing things down in a notebook. I don't recall that he went to jail, but he was encourage to move on.

Oh well, guess we have to give up some of our liberties to ensure our security. I think there is a club that meets at Tower 55 on weekends. They know where the railroad r.o.w. is and where the highway r.o.w. is, and they are probably less likely to be mistaken for terrorists.

> Heard someone got sent to jail for shooting
> pictures from Tower area. Any truth to the
> rumor?

Updated Convention Website
tnold@bigfoot.com

Post subject: Re: Two Toronto PCC Cars
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:47 am 

I think the extent of my and MATA's knowledge of PCC cars is that they are streamlined and you drive them with your feet instead of your hands. One of the cars (which was acquired by NTHT, Inc.) was an ex-Boston car, so some of the trucks are ex-Boston. If the trucks they acquired aren't interchangeable with the Toronto cars, I suppose they'll find that out pretty soon.

One L car was scrapped, but its trucks and a sister car were still sitting outside a couple of weeks ago. In the link below, you can see three cars outside to the southwest of the carbarn. The one with the remnants of blue tarp is a Tandy car shell. The two L cars sit end to end on the southwesternmost track, and the north car appears to have been cut down to the deck. Someone was going to buy the remaining L car, but he apparently couldn't afford shipping. We had some boogers on our moving day and wound up getting a $6000 moving bill.

I understand that all of the overhead and the track between the tunnel portal and Henderson Street bridge has been salvaged. The scrapper made 3' chunks of all the beautiful 00 grooved copper.

> The trucks that were used under the Tandy
> cars were air-electric trucks from
> Washington, though, right? I know that Tandy
> also had a couple of Chicago PCC
> "L" cars that were bought for
> parts - are the trucks that will be used on
> the TTC PCC's from those cars?

> Frank Hicks

Tandy Subway Carbarn Aerial
tnold@bigfoot.com

Post subject: Made the Washington Post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 10:32 am 

Don Phillips did a story for the Washington Post. Local PD saw guy taking pix + notes, detained him, brought in FBI. No mention of RR cops.

Electric City Trolley Museum Association

Post subject: Re: Made the Washington Post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:58 pm 

The fellow in the article, Richard Whitenight, is a frequent poster to Railspot, a regional (Texas and surrounding states) railfan list. He detailed the afternoon's events in a post later that same evening (click on link below). Someone from the list tipped off the Washington Post who ran "Wronged Side of the Tracks? 'Railfans' Complain of Police Scrutiny in Terror Era" on November 15. That same day, National Public Radio's All Things Considered interviewed him for a segment titled "Trouble for Trainspotters".

Thankfully, Mr. Whitenight has handled himself in a manner reflecting the better side of railfanning. In fact, some Railspotters are carrying a copy of the Post article when trackside. The piece could lend some credibility to their activities should they be approached by authorities unfamiliar with the hobby.

FYI:
Audio of the All Things Considered segment is still available on the NPR website, http://www.npr.org. Search for "Whitenight".
The Washington Post article is available for a fee at http://www.washingtonpost.com. However, the text can also be found on Railspot, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/railspot/.

Sunday, October 27, 2002 at Tower 55
71446975@quixnet.net

Post subject: Wx-ICRR Roundhouse-Louisville, KY *PIC*
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 3:30 am 

Paducah & Louisville (ex-ICRR) roundhouse footprint..Louisville, KY

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/ ... 3&z=16&w=1

Fla Gulf Coast RR Museum
hrvideo@mindspring.com

Post subject: NS -Ex K&IT Roundhouse-Louisville, KY *PIC*
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 3:44 am 

Ex-K&IT roundhouse. Served B&O, SR, Monon, and K&IT locos. Now NS. Still in use.

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/ ... 1&z=16&w=1

Fla Gulf Coast RR Museum
hrvideo@mindspring.com