It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: UNION PACIFIC TO DONATE CHALLENGER 3985 & OTHER EQUIPMEN
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:21 am 

Chase wrote:
ctjacks wrote:
Threads like this would be much more informative if the posters used their real names.

Or they would drive people away, because those of us with professional identities outside of railroad preservation don’t want our names showing up on google alongside some of the controversial opinions about race/gender/politics that some posters espouse on this board.

And those of us in the railroad industry (the actual railroad industry, not the preservation "industry") usually prefer to "fly under the radar" online

-Christopher (not my real name)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:34 am 

co614 wrote:
Let's take a vote on making real identities mandatory.
Ross Rowland

Back in TrainNet days, the rule was we used real names or asked Dorr Altizer for a real-sounding alias. For the latter, there had to be a reason, and most were indeed people who would be harassed at work if they used their real names, or who were famous otherwise and would have drawn unwanted attention from overzealous fans (Neil Young and Mr. Rogers come to mind.)

FWIW, I’m me. There aren’t many places online where I feel the need for an alias. I wish I were famous enough to worry about it, but I’m not.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:31 pm 

Getting back to the UP steam program, and the dim recesses of working Railfair 1991, one of the things I most enjoyed about 3985 was that it wasn't immaculately restored but in normal working engine condition. It leaked, clanked and did a damn fine job of moving trains more realistically like it did in the Eisenhower era that it's more restored museum brothers also in attendance. Another attendee was the 0-4-0T+T from the Imperial Valley Irrigation group, which was simply found in the desert, checked out, and brought out in as found condition (apart from a calliope's worth of whistles mounted and frequently blown, leading to the name change to Imperial Valley Irritation engine, but I digress.)

It's nice to see what our forefathers did the way they would have seen it.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:58 pm 

co614 wrote:
I've been advocating for years to make real names mandatory on RyPN. Tell you what, if that ever becomes the standard here we'll nearly eliminate the juvenile nonsense that using screen names enables.
Actually, the most obnoxious people I've seen on this forum are apparently using their real names.
Anyone can still be a 'internet tough guy' with your real info because most folks know they'll never have to face anyone on said forum in real life.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:40 pm 

I soo hoping to see when we come back on the real subject we have started before the blabla about the User name

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:22 pm 

Excuse my obvious ignorance here. Can someone fact check this for me? The Friends of 261 will have the 261 possibly stored at the new Silvis facility/shop correct? I know 261’s 1472 should be coming up in the next 5-6 years. If that’s the case, does anyone have concern about the 261 being sidelined in favor of the 3985 and 5511 restorations? I’m not sure if there would be separate funds for the two or if they would have to switch between working on them.

A little further off topic, aren’t those two QJs also going to the shops? I don’t know if either have restorations lined up at this time or not. It’s shaping up to be a busy place, and who knows what they’ll get in future years!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:44 pm 

BSFSRYFAN wrote:
For those of you who don't know "Lincoln Penn" is Steve Lee formerly of the defunct Wasatch Railroad Contractors. Steve was convicted fraudster John Rimmasch's right hand man, and was the man in charge and on site in Stearns when the work on the K&T 14 was performed, not to any acceptable standards. Besides work performed on the boiler, it won't hold water at atmospheric pressure, because it was so poorly done. It's obvious he has an axe to grind against current UP steam management, and he will throw shade at anyone that has been successful, where he has not.

I don’t believe you have much proof of any of your claims here. I hardly doubt a retired gentleman would spend much time working for someone else. Why would he have to work? Surely the RR would pay someone of his caliber well enough that RRB would make it so he wouldn’t have to ever work again and he could enjoy his retirement? That makes more sense in my book. Maybe Steve Lee and John Rimmasch had a good relationship, it seems like it from the TO stories. So maybe John called on Steve for professional advice, and maybe John didn’t take it. I don’t believe you can pin any of that stuff in Kentucky on Steve.

But you are one of those fellas on this forum that has a very good imagination and likes to dream up details. So it wouldn’t surprise me in your little mind that you truly believe everything you say. I get it. You hate John Rimmasch and Wasatch. Your name makes eBay obvious.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:38 am 

RailMech3 wrote:
I don’t believe you have much proof of any of your claims here. I hardly doubt a retired gentleman would spend much time working for someone else. Why would he have to work? Surely the RR would pay someone of his caliber well enough that RRB would make it so he wouldn’t have to ever work again and he could enjoy his retirement?

I have no dog in this fight, but might I suggest doing a ten second Google search of "Steve Lee Wasatch Railroad Contractors"? It seems fairly common knowledge Mr. Lee retired from UP and then joined Wasatch in 2011. His own Linked In page (first result in my own search) has his title as Project Manager- Wasatch Railroad Contractors.

As for the why, I have known many many people who retire only to immediately pick up a new job simply to stay busy. It is when they go idle that they start ageing quickly. Perhaps it was a way for Mr. Lee to keep himself busy with something less stressful than his previous career, but still in a field near and dear to his heart.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:22 am 

Hi guys; Just getting a little bit back on topic, is the 4014’s tender going it’s the challenger, or is it being rebuilt and swapped back. Also, will the UP allow any of these donated locos run on its system once rebuilt. The rumour mill has mentioned, yes, on condition the rebuilding is to the current steam program standards. Anyone knows any details?

Have fun - David Notarius - ex New Hope PA in London Uk

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:10 am 

David Notarius wrote:
Hi guys; Just getting a little bit back on topic, is the 4014’s tender going it’s the challenger, or is it being rebuilt and swapped back. Also, will the UP allow any of these donated locos run on its system once rebuilt. The rumour mill has mentioned, yes, on condition the rebuilding is to the current steam program standards. Anyone knows any details?

Have fun - David Notarius - ex New Hope PA in London Uk

Hi David,

I do not have insider information but I can tell you this: back when Steam was King, tenders got switched around all the time. When a loco went into the shop for work, it was separated from its tender. The engine would go into one shop, tender into the other. When the tender was finished with its shopping it would be put on the “done”’ line. And the next engine that needed a tender like it, would be mated up with it. So that being said, the tenders numbered 4014 and 3985 are not original to those locomotives as is. What will the railroad do for donation? I am not sure. I only wonder if they haven’t been working on the tender that the 4014 came with, since they’ve been so quiet, but i cannot be sure.

As for operation on UP track. I doubt it. But that may be why they added the “will be restored to UP spec” on their donation post. They may be showing the slight possibility that it’ll be allowed. Albeit with only UP employed crews, none of the people who restore it will likely be able to run.

Thats how I see it from my side of the court.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:58 am 

UP has never allowed any outside stream to run on their tracks. Cerintly not with untested ones, ans unknow crews. Perhaps, if the stars align, it say Steve Sandenbeg with a proven history was the crew leader, maybe. But we are a long way from that.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:23 am 

Dave Lewandoski wrote:
UP has never allowed any outside stream to run on their tracks. Cerintly not with untested ones, ans unknow crews. Perhaps, if the stars align, it say Steve Sandenbeg with a proven history was the crew leader, maybe. But we are a long way from that.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but i thought the 4449 ran on UP tracks? And I could have sworn there were other locomotives that have as well. But I could be wrong on that, because since I’ve been alive I don’t think anything besides UP power has ran on UP tracks.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:05 am 

When we (1522) were operating, in order to get to Union Station or wherever or trip would leave from, we ran over the 16+/- miles of the UP main. They would send a pilot crew to ride with us.
When we were in Houston with the BNSF EAS trips, we ran over the UP (Sunset Route) on a a round trip to get to Silsbee, TX.
So you can't say "never" when talking about the UP not letting other steam run on their lines.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:58 pm 

Frisco1522 wrote:
When we (1522) were operating, in order to get to Union Station or wherever or trip would leave from, we ran over the 16+/- miles of the UP main. They would send a pilot crew to ride with us.
When we were in Houston with the BNSF EAS trips, we ran over the UP (Sunset Route) on a a round trip to get to Silsbee, TX.
So you can't say "never" when talking about the UP not letting other steam run on their lines.

Let's see...non UP steam locomotives which have operated over UP tracks...

Frisco 1522

SP 4449

SP 786

GVRR 2248 ( yes that is correct )

One of the Reader engines for True Grit

There might be one or two that I'm missing...

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:02 pm 

Txhighballer wrote:
Frisco1522 wrote:

Let's see...non UP steam locomotives which have operated over UP tracks...

Frisco 1522

SP 4449

SP 786

GVRR 2248 ( yes that is correct )

One of the Reader engines for True Grit

There might be one or two that I'm missing...

Couldn't tell you which one, but TSRR has run one or two of their steam locomotives over the UP to get to the Palestine shops for Family Day events.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next