It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rising fuel cost
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:01 am 

Anyone out there really looking at the delta of operating cost versus income given the current price increases of fuel? Are you considering altering your normal operations to only operate when enough patrons are going to show up.

One could image that now that we are over $4 a gallon for gas that people are going to cut back on travel expenses which will cause a loss of riders if you aren’t within say 20 miles of your base visitor/rider.

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Rising fuel cost
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:42 am 

It’ll be interesting to watch. Those with a bit of expendable income will still travel though some might decide to stay more local. The last big spike didn’t really change things drastically. Prices should eventually settle back down.

For our operating costs on diesel fuel, we topped off locomotives, maintenance equipment and our 500 gallon tank at $2.99 a gallon delivered just days before the price started creeping up. Our supplier gave us a heads-up. We should be good for the season. We’ll use our Plymouth to do any car shifting. That’ll save 13 cylinders worth of spent fuel for minor work around the yard.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:22 pm 

I know of at least one major operation that has cut back the number of trips for 2022, concentrating mainly on weekend trips where higher ridership is typical. A few weekday trips will be run, but typically where other events are taking place or tours have requested those dates.

Part of the reason for the change was simply to concentrate staffing and was planned several months ago, but higher fuel prices for passengers is now being discussed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:17 pm 

Loco112 wrote:
Its about to get WAY worse, maybe $15 a gallon in about 1-2 years. Here is their quote: "There will be no gas for an automobile by 2025". Its been talked about for about 10 years now, and the way they are going to make sure that happens is by the cost. Its part of the plan. But covert and the goofy masks just went away like magic, amazing isn't it. Think people.
Yet the cost of tin foil for hats remains steady...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:18 pm 

Indeed. Politically motivated drivel. Tinfoil hats indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:20 pm 

All this talk of banning internal combustion small non commercial vehicles is being pushed back even by many European countries as they realize we just aren't quite there yet.

This may be the case by 2080 or something, but even the most progressive government realizes this won't happen by 2035 or whatever. So I wouldn't worry too much about that, now who knows, cost of gasoline at the pump might be quite high. So the economics of owning a gas car might be rough compared to buying electric.

high diesel prices will increase overall freight costs for most items but could push more freight to rail.

Get ready for the development of internal combustion engines to halt, as few car manufacturers are willing to invest the money necessary to design a ground up gas engine, when they need to be spending insane amounts on electric powertrain R&D.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:41 pm 

CBS posted an article today indicating a potential impact of $2000 per family per year from higher fuel prices. Believe or disbelieve as you see fit:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gas-prices ... 00-a-year/

PC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:05 pm 

Kind of makes you wonder why people bought all those big SUVs rather than economy cars...... I'd like to see an aftermarket of DIY conversion kits for small gas cars to electric. I think my old Impreza would make a great electric.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:43 pm 

If we were able now, in retirement, to save all the money we spend on gasoline, we might be able to buy a pretty nice single seat electric mobility scooter once a year. But the only museum within our battery charge range with that type of vehicle is a whaling museum.

PC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:48 pm 

Dave wrote:
Kind of makes you wonder why people bought all those big SUVs rather than economy cars...... I'd like to see an aftermarket of DIY conversion kits for small gas cars to electric. I think my old Impreza would make a great electric.

Because people have terrible memories and only limited ability to foresee the future.

Believe it or not, there actually are conversion companies:
https://evdrive.com/
https://www.thedrive.com/news/42970/thi ... -v8-blocks

But ironically, they seem to be geared to customs and hot-rodding.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:22 pm 

Article today predicts $3000 additional costs, food and fuel. Believe or disbelieve as you see fit:

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-fina ... -skyrocket

PC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:23 pm 

Solar panels! My dad had them installed a few years ago, and I took over responsibility for the house about two years ago. The electric bill is typically less than $20, and the average consumption is negative. If he had an electric car, that extra could go to charging the car.

I am getting solar panels on my house in a month.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:34 pm 

Super Wholesale ( very large quantities) diesel trading at $ 4.50/gal. That means for relatively small users like most short line railroads the delivered price will be somewhere in the $ 4.90-$ 5.25 per gallon area.

If the Super Wholesale price stays there for more than a few days the long distance truckers will soon be paying $ 5/gallon and then you'll hear the real bellyaching start.

Interesting times. Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:58 pm 

I feel like it would behoove tourist line operators to get small engines for days when there is lighter ridership. Compare the fuel cost of say, a GE 25 tonner vs that of a Geep?

Heck, at this rate maybe a Fairmont A series car pulling a few non-powered flats?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:03 am 

Looks like ride fare ticket prices will be increasing substantially this year.

Since the Resident has now banned petroleum imports from Russia, we can all blame Putin for that too.