It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where is Great Northern 2-8-0 #1246
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:29 am 

lets call this a reverse scavenger hunt

according to this post
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46118&start=30
a vanderbilt tender with GN logo was seen in Elko, NV on June 1st. It is probably GN1246
out of the former Kepner collection in Merrill, OR.

I can not find any info or news about that move. Curious. IMHO this lokie is to big for a
small tourist line, as Park Engine in a GN City that is the wrong direction.
Maybe a Museum in CO or TX?

Any more sightings?...post your opinions here.

See pics what I am looking for.
1. 1953 after GN refurbish before move to City Park in Seattle, WA
2. Park in Seattle, WA in the 1950/60s
3./4. stored in Merrill, OR 2000s

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 81.89 KiB | Viewed 3145 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 113.35 KiB | Viewed 3145 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 71.07 KiB | Viewed 3145 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 61.9 KiB | Viewed 3145 times ]

Last edited by linkthebutler on Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Where is Great Northern 2-8-0 #1246
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:49 am 

If I were you, I’d simply wait a few days and see where it ends up, someone could always say “oh we have it now”. Or to see if that rumor was actually true. Sorry Jeff Moore (the user who claimed he saw the tender pass by) but until I see photos from you, I’m just going to take your words with a grain of salt.

Oh, and one more thing. It apparently passed through ELKO according to Jeff, not ELY. As much as everyone likes the Nevada Northern (myself included) I highly doubt that any locomotive being hauled would ever pass through there unless that was the destination (which it isn’t).

This thread should probably be moved or deleted. No offense, but this either belongs in the Kepner thread or in railfanning.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:55 am 

I really can’t report anything more than I had yesterday. Last Friday there was a set of railcar trucks on a truck in front of a motel on Idaho street in the eastern part of town that sure look like the ones in the picture of the tender posted here, then yesterday morning right about 0615 there was a Vanderbuilt tender body with the GN logo sitting in front of the same motel. I didn’t really recognize it for what it was until I was passing it- understand there are semis parked along Idaho street in front of this motel just about every night, so they blend into the background- and I really didn’t have time to stop right then, when I did have time about a half hour later the truck and tender were already gone.

That’s the extent of my knowledge. Not saying for sure it was the tender for this locomotive, but there really aren’t any other Vanderbuilt tenders with GN logos that would be on a truck along one of the major east-west thoroufares.

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:09 am 

Look like only the tender was moved to Utah.
https://railfan.com/shay-locomotive-fin ... st-scenic/

So Jeff's eyes are pretty good.

"@Steamguy73
What about an apologie to Jeff? Calling someone salty who is one of the top researchers
and authors of western railroading is let say not your best day....

If you not familiar with Jeff Moore here is some of his work:
http://www.trainweb.org/highdesertrails/index.html
http://www.mccloudriverrailroad.com

Maybe you share some of your work?"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:11 am 

I didn’t call anyone “salty”. I was just saying I needed photographic evidence or something other than “I think I saw X pass by”. That’s not insulting anyone personally, I’m going to ask for proof from anyone..

I saw the very same article you did. I’m quite aware of the Tender’s move to Heber City.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:01 am 

The saga of 1246 always irritated me. GN donated it to Seattle, who soon sold it to a private person who just moved it to the middle of nowhere. Sure, she might run someday if she gets to the right owner, but that's not the point. I wonder if the whole thing might have caused railroads to think twice about donating anything after that.
A few locomotives were sold to people in the Pacific NW after being donated to towns. Northern Pacific 4-6-2 No. 2152 was donated to Auburn, WA (not too far from Seattle) in the 50, who essentially let it rot and eventually gave it to a museum in Toppenish several years ago.
Steamguy73 wrote:
I didn’t call anyone “salty”. I was just saying I needed photographic evidence or something other than “I think I saw X pass by”. That’s not insulting anyone personally, I’m going to ask for proof from anyone..
Fair enough. It does get tiring when you ask a question and someone posts a guess that the original poster could have made.