It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: who is the "Worlds Greatest Rail Fans"?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:33 am 

Does anyone know much about these folks? They showed up at our museum (Arkansas Railroad Museum) and made a rather long list of requests for us to prepare for their visit. I search for them on the internet and not a whole lot comes up? The list reads more like what you might do to prepare for the National Geographic to visit. (Are they still a thing?)

Post subject: Re: who is the "Worlds Greatest Rail Fans"?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:00 am 

I don't know for sure about the group nowadays, but in the 1970s WGRF was an informal gathering of railroad photographers who met to trade photos and slides during a weekend of slide shows and visits to railroad facilities in the area.

PC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:40 am 

The World's Greatest Railfans are exactly as described above. They are a group of railroad photographers that have yearly meetings at various railroads and museums around the country. They have been active since the 1960s and many of the original members are still active in the group (not a member myself, I just know a few). They didn't have a meeting in 2020 but I believe they met somewhere in southern Indiana in 2019. There's a lot of really nice people in the group.

Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:06 pm 

I gotta say; they could be the nicest folks in the world and i'd still make them pay extra for "preparations".

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:40 pm 

I did a Google search for '"WGRF" railroad' and got a BUNCH of links...including an older website they had, and also this link:

https://www.pbase.com/michaeljsosalla/kc

As you can see, it's kind of a big thing....

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

Post subject: "Worlds Greatest Rail Fans"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:54 pm 

In the 1980s, a former colleague and several close friends were active members of this informal group. Although I have never, personally, attended one of the events organized by WGRF members, I can add that members of this group recorded original 35mm color transparencies, shot always on Kodachrome film processed by Kodak. Their primary interest was roster shots of diesel locomotives.

In order to be worthy of trade or sale to another member, the locomotive would have to be well-illuminated. As I understand it, images recorded on cloudy days were not acceptable for trade or sale.

Ideally, the locomotive would be located / posed in a location devoid of obtrusive background clutter. Front-coupled locomotives, pole shadows, and other inconsistencies were taboo.

On one occasion, when traveling with my colleague in Michigan, after arranging for a Port Huron & Detroit ALCO to be posed along the Saint Clair River waterfront in "perfect light" (low, bright sun), he exposed several rolls of 36-exposure film of the stationary locomotive.

In a way, these enthusiasts were creating their own collectibles which, not unlike collectors of stamps or coins, could be traded and sold between like-minded WGRF members.

If I recall correctly, the goal of one prominent WGRF member was to have, by age 65, accumulated one million original Kodachrome transparencies which could then be sold at a profit.

With the demise of Kodachrome and the evolution of digital photography, my guess: Currently active WGRF members may have have modified their raison d'être.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:47 am 

I was a part of a few of these "meetings" as an engineer when I handled their private cars or special trains on a few railroads. Nice, friendly folks several well known author/photographers and easy to please. Most weren't concerned as much about roster shots as they were traveling on "rare mileage" trackage and making photo runbys.

Today with decreasing and likely permanent restrictions on handling private cars, most railroads (not museum/excursion lines) are very reluctant to handle these trips due to liability issues. One organization to which I belong made up of former railroad employees and historians always included a trip with private cars on a common carrier but today even those options are no longer available for the annual meeting. They too now meet in locations close to railway museums for the ride as even being a retired railroad executive has very little power to arrange the wonderful tips of year's past. Folks, don't appreciate history like they used to.

Exprail

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:52 am 

exprail wrote:
I was a part of a few of these "meetings" as an engineer when I handled their private cars or special trains on a few railroads. Nice, friendly folks several well known author/photographers and easy to please. Most weren't concerned as much about roster shots as they were traveling on "rare mileage" trackage and making photo runbys.

Today with decreasing and likely permanent restrictions on handling private cars, most railroads (not museum/excursion lines) are very reluctant to handle these trips due to liability issues. One organization to which I belong made up of former railroad employees and historians always included a trip with private cars on a common carrier but today even those options are no longer available for the annual meeting. They too now meet in locations close to railway museums for the ride as even being a retired railroad executive has very little power to arrange the wonderful tips of year's past. Folks, don't appreciate history like they used to.

Exprail

I think you might be confusing WGRF with another group. The previous description above about them has always been my understanding of the basis of the group. I know a couple of them fairly well, and slide trading was always the main point, up to the digital era. I have no idea what they do instead today. The other group you clearly are referring to is the Lexington Group in Railroad History.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:27 am 

Just one question: did they give themselves the name or was it awarded by others for admirable and meaningful actions?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:33 pm 

It is quite astounding how many (typically older) railfans are still diehard slide guys.

I don't get it.

Post subject: "Worlds Greatest Rail Fans:" Early History
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:53 pm 

The following insights were today provided by an early member of the WGRF group:

<quote>
First gathering was Cincinnati in March, 1966. One of the attendees at that event coined the term, "World's Greatest Railfans." That first gathering included about 20 people, among them Dick Wallin, J. David Ingles, Lou Marre and other slide shooters. The attraction was Baldwins on C&O, B&O and NYC, all based around Cincinnati. I had a ticket to fly but with a terrible weather forecast I opted to get a refund. Money was very tight back then. The meet was so successful they decided to do Kansas City the following year, which I did attend. And the rest was history as they say.

Due to lack of interest, old age, few shooting slides anymore, not to mention Covid they didn't meet in 2019-20 and I doubt if it will be revived. Quite a run though. Of the original attendees, I think Ron Hill, Lou Marre and maybe another one or two are still alive. My last was in 2015.
<unquote>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:19 pm 

Yes, TRS you are correct.

That was the group I hauled around a few times on branchlines and other routes. That's how I got to know Ingles and few other fans. Great group of folks and always polite.

Exprail

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:35 pm 

"who is the "Worlds Greatest Rail Fans"?"

I assumed you meant "Shoebox", "Stick Man", "Mr. Potato Head", etc, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:02 am 

A certain Mr. Shaner, of course

John

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:43 am 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
"who is the "Worlds Greatest Rail Fans"?"

I assumed you meant "Shoebox", "Stick Man", "Mr. Potato Head", etc, etc.

Those sound like they guys known at IRM during the seventies as "the Amtrak officials."