It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Moderation.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:47 pm 

Why the hell do moderators get to close threads they argued in when they've "Run Their Course", specifically after getting the last word in? Isn't it a bit suspicious that you're allowed to judge when people can't respond to something after arguing about it?

Post subject: Re: Moderation.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:19 pm 

Connie4800 wrote:
Why the hell do moderators get to close threads...?
Because they are moderators. 1st amendment rights only apply to attempts by the government to stifle discussion. If I understand it, we have no 1st amendment right in a private setting like someone's house -- the home owner sets the rules. Same thing here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:30 pm 

Connie4800 wrote:
Why the hell do moderators get to close threads they argued in when they've "Run Their Course", specifically after getting the last word in? Isn't it a bit suspicious that you're allowed to judge when people can't respond to something after arguing about it?

I agree.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:46 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Calling the moderator of a private online forum (and virtually every online forum is such--ones that aren't eventually devolve, as "newsgroups" did long ago, into oceans of spam) a "sexist twit" is 1) hardly a way to endear yourself to the moderation team, and 2) can be seen itself as the catalyst for the shutdown, in this case, as evidence that the topic was no longer being discussed and had swung to personal insults.

Had anyone asked me, the personal insult would have tipped me towards suggesting the post itself be removed, not just the thread being locked. And, as I stated earlier in the thread, I'm as libertarian as they come in people exposing their true character for themselves.

As far as her photo "being shared without permission":

She posted it and other photos on Instagram (and, I believe, Facebook). Publicly, not privately.

The D&SNGRR Facebook account shared it, with or without her permission--sparking the "sexist" commentary.

A poster here reposted the photo and (edited) comments, without permission, in a deliberate effort to create and ignite controversy by claiming this was representative of "rail preservation."

Your ire at the issue is badly misplaced.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:17 pm 

I believe that was directed to CO614 - who has said that he doesn't want to work around woman except hiring attractive women as stewardesses.

Quote:
Because they are moderators. 1st amendment rights only apply to attempts by the government to stifle discussion. If I understand it, we have no 1st amendment right in a private setting like someone's house -- the home owner sets the rules. Same thing here.

On one hand, i agree, but on the other - why close a thread you've been arguing in after you get your last word in?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:19 pm 

Also, this is after said moderator deliberately tries making my point sound like something different - and directly implies having gender dysphoria is "a choice".

I feel you'd all be crying bullshit if it was a liberal.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:24 pm 

My real ongoing concern is the efforts to improve overall professionalism in our avocation/vocation. Here is a forum labeled RyPN and I am fearful should one of our grant funders ever venture into the Interchange and start reading some of the stuff posted here.

Wesley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:30 pm 

Indeed. One could, feasibly, screenshot, say, Mr. Rowland going on about only hiring attractive women as stewardesses and not working with them in engine service and send it to whoever's backing his latest project.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:10 pm 

Indeed. One could, feasibly, screenshot, say, Mr. Rowland going on about only hiring attractive women as stewardesses and not working with them in engine service and send it to whoever's backing his latest project.

Once again the fascist left rears its ugly head.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:16 pm 

Always good to read the Forum Guidelines every once in a while.

Quote:
Appeals Process

Posters are welcome to inquire further about the reasoning behind a moderating action. However, the following course of action MUST be followed: The poster must contact the moderator who made the decision. If the poser remains unsatisfied, he may request the moderator to refer the case to the RYPN Board of Directors for review. A board member will be assigned to review the case. The poster must abide by the guidelines set forth by the board member for handling the review. The decision of the board member reviewing the case will be final.

Under no circumstances may a poster contest the moderators’ decision of a specific case using the INTERCHANGE, or otherwise attempt to “arouse the masses.” Such posts will constitute a violation of INTERCHANGE policy. Under no circumstances will the moderators or the Board of Directors tolerate threatening or other abusive communications.

We encourage our visitors to help maintain the INTERCHANGE as a unique place for the sharing of information and knowledge, as well discussion of news and issues, in the preservation community. If you have any questions of suggestions, or to report problems and/or abuses, please contact the INTERCHANGE Moderators.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:32 pm 

It's a free country, unsatisfied customers may shop elsewhere. This forum is provided as a free service, if you don't like this forum there's plenty others out there you can purchase a subscription to.

Or, as I've been told when it comes to social media, "If you're unhappy go start your own".

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:43 pm 

Forum Guidelines wrote:
Under no circumstances may a poster contest the moderators’ decision of a specific case using the INTERCHANGE, or otherwise attempt to “arouse the masses.” Such posts will constitute a violation of INTERCHANGE policy.
The problem is that Mr Rowlands, a forum moderator, is frequently the person arousing the masses.

One unfortunate example was Mr. Rowland's Sep 08, 2021 post where he took a potshot at the NGDF and encouraged posting of dirty laundry gossip here on RYPN:
Quote:
Since the Narrow Gauge Discussion Forum has banned any discussion of this (which raises questions as to what is going on that they need to keep secret), discussion of this topic is welcome here.
When other posters called him out on his posts, Mr. Rowlands repeatedly used his moderator power to get in the last word before he slammed the door on the conversation. The two most recent examples were the COVID and RYPN thread on September 8 and Illustrative example of that sexism that we talked about on September 24.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:47 pm 

Just to set the record straight I have in the immediate past had the pleasure of running with a very competent firewoman and as far as I'm concerned we made a good team and got over the road safely and on time. She did a fine job and I'd be pleased to work with her anytime.

Yes, for many of my projects we have hired hostesses to add to the customer experience and I expect we'll do so again where appropriate. To imply that our only criteria when choosing hostess candidates is great looks would be untrue as there are a number of other qualities we also strive for.

Onward & Upward. Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:07 pm 

I know a number of people in the industry who now avoid RyPN specifically because of the drama in the past few months - their words, not mine. The frequent finger pointing, mudslinging, and political bickering (amongst the same group of members, may I add) sheds a negative light on the forum and is akin to immature Facebook squabbling. The relative lack of action by moderators to step in and curb the inane rubbish until it's too late only makes matters worse.

Yes, it is true that we can pick and choose what communities to be involved in. But when the credibility of an otherwise respectable forum slowly continues to erode away as the rest of us look on in exasperation, that's when there is an issue. No doubt there's still a wealth of knowledge to be found here, but based on conversations I've had with others there could be way, way more.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:40 pm 

The thread purporting to offer up an example of sexism in rail preservation was locked because the discussion had almost completely strayed away from the original topic and was not about to further the discussion. In the past we have tried to stay away from topics of a political nature here, but I felt that such discussions would be useful in figuring out where our industry fits in today's world. Boy was I wrong! All these threads have done was devolve into division, name calling, insults and bad blood. I think it is time to move back to our previous stance regarding political topics and a more proactive policing of insults and profanity.

Yes I make mistakes. There is no moderating training course. I am both a moderator and a participant here and I suppose I need to better moderate what I say and pay closer attention to assuring fair treatment of all members. Duly noted. However, members also have a responsibility to conduct themselves in a way that makes the moderator's job unnecessary.

I get messages from some members telling me that I moderate too much. Others say that I let too much slide by. Regardless what happens someone is going to be upset and someone may be happy. I don't mind the back channel comments as that tells me that people do care about the forum.

Connie4800- I removed the comment that I made that you found offensive as it was not fair that you did not get a chance to rebut my comment.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next