It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: PRR 5550 Update: Boiler Assembly
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:46 am 

Quote:
"Is there a signed contractual agreement in place? Yes or no?"

When the original discussions were held, which as I recall was in 2015, the reply was that the locomotive would be permitted to operate just like any other type of test equipment, subject to the conditions to which any equipment that runs there is subject. That attitude had not changed by September 2022, and I doubt it has changed now, although I'd listen if someone had a direct quote from administration at Pueblo that they would not let 5550 run. I doubt anyone can produce that, far less substantiate it.

Naturally (since some of you don't understand this point yet) a great deal of modeling and simulation is being conducted to ensure that the design is capable of high speed safely. The point of the instrumented wheelsets is to determine if any dangerous forces are building up in any plane that might risk derailment. Bonding and insurance (expensive though that might be, but with clear evidence for the underwriters of due care in design and testing) would cover any damage to Federal property.

Someone has to advise me why there are loons posting here who think a locomotive substantially being built in Ohio needs to run through Penn Station to get to Pueblo.

The discussion involving the NEC dates back to the early days of the T1 Trust project, where one potential 'revenue source' that was discussed would be to operate some Amtrak service with the locomotive (similar to the 'weekend service' several decades ago in Australia). That was dubious then, and was ridiculous even to contemplate with Amtrak's policies up until recently (and, I would presume, into the future). It might be possible to contract to run on some portion of Amtrak's ROW, but I wouldn't make any plans whatsoever contingent on that. For what I at least would consider self-evident reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:11 pm 

jasonjohnson wrote:
I must say I am enjoying this conversation. I have addressed this topic several times and we get it asked a hundred more times at every event we attend. Think of the speed record as the sprinkles on top of the icing on the cake. While it is not our main focus, it gets a lot of attention and gets a lot of people talking about us which equates to $$$ (Public Relations 101)

We are mainly focused on fundraising and building very large sections of the locomotive. We are currently getting close to start construction of the massive frame. Once this is complete, we feel we will have crossed the top of the hill and can start cruising as nothing should be more complicated going forward. Stay tuned for updates soon.

As for the speed record, The PRR T1 Trust has NEVER said we will go for a spin on the NEC. There are height restrictions we can not meet to run over this section of track. That leaves a section of 110mph track in Michigan and Pueblo, CO. The most logic place is Colorado as that is a closed facility designed for high-speed testing. We have already be in contact with them to see if we qualify to be tested there. We do.

As for getting there. We already have a deep-pocket sponsor willing to pay for transportation and testing costs (roughly $250,000) for exclusive video rights. We have no issue putting it on a TTX flat car and shipping it that way if we have too. Small details to worry about after completion. Getting it there is MUCH easier than building it.

So all we have to do is finish it.....

~Jason

So basically what you’re saying is, if this does happen in Pueblo. It will not be open to the public?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:42 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Tacky3663 wrote:
So basically what you’re saying is, if this does happen in Pueblo. It will not be open to the public?

Rest assured that if an attempt at a world steam locomotion speed record is attempted on either publicly-accessible or private property, there will be the proverbial fecal-matter-ton of documentation being done, from "exclusive video access" (at a stiff price, no doubt) to radar to GPS tracking to laser timing to whatever third-party documentation Guinness Superlatives, Ltd. demands for proof.

Because that's "all that matters," isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:51 am 

Quote:

To be a little more direct: It’s a federal facility which is not open to the public. I’m pretty sure that if you went there without an official invitation you’ll find yourself having a friendly chat with a security officer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:38 am 

We're so far from the possibility of this happening I'll be happy if I'm still alive and not too senile to understand and process it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:29 am 

It's real simple. 1. Build it, 2. Vigorous break-in testing. 3. Return the World Steam Speed Cup to the USA.

Piece of cake !! Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:10 am 

Quote:
"Because that's "all that matters," isn't it?"

Foam has little if anything to do with it.

The locomotive testing there would be just that, testing at high speed. The critical speeds or other problems will have been tested on the roller rig, and the instrumented wheelsets provide any necessary 'warning' information regarding the running gear. (Now you might say this is the same 'excuse' testing as with Mallard in 1938, but it is systematic and not just an excuse to reach high speed and probe out catastrophic failure points...)

Indeed, if it turns out that high-speed slipping is intractable, or there are critical speeds in the design as built, or there are other problems with the locomotive... there won't be any faster running than is safe (Ross or no Ross! ;-} )

If you're saying that careful and unexceptional documentation is the only thing that would satisfy British railfans... they already have their excuse ready: 'it's no longer the age of steam' so it doesn't matter. (Conveniently overlooking the British Steam Speed Challenge, but of course when the shoe is on the other foot it doesn't matter to them).

Incidentally, as Pueblo is a loop there's unlikely to be FIA-style insistence on 'turning' the locomotive for a reverse run for timing purposes, but as noted that concern is far enough in the future to be unnecessary to take up and solve now.

I'd be reasonably certain there will be drone coverage streamed to the Internet that will give everyone interested an 'adequate' view. There's no objective reason to straggle out to trackside, have to arrange (and listen to) helicopters over a Federal facility... crowds of shutterbugs ignoring both access and safety to get their shots.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:24 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Overmod wrote:
Quote:
"Because that's "all that matters," isn't it?"

Foam has little if anything to do with it.

Ah. Silly me. Forgot the HTML.

<SARCASM>"Because that's 'all that matters,' isn't it?" </SARCASM>

Attachments:
sarcasm.jpg
sarcasm.jpg [ 34.16 KiB | Viewed 3234 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:13 pm 

Not sarcasm.

A dime a dozen are the British fans who argue that Mallard's record is 126.1mph, or that no American high-speed records are valid because of the lack of dynamometric testing -- or formal documentation, very often with precisely the sort of 'all that matters' that ADMIV mentioned.

The argument of more than a few has now shifted to 'it doesn't matter because Mallard will always have the REAL record' now that it is becoming clear that 5550 will be completed and tested. I've actually seen a couple who call for the locomotive not to be finished because it wouldn't be right... somehow.

All that sort of thing is the reason I commented.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:25 am 

It's always interesting to read what "outsiders," people who are not normally rail enthusiasts (at least as far as we would know) have to say about things like this:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/steam-tra ... 1i8-UTEK7s

The whole thing seems a bit better than most in that it looks like the author is more familiar with steam and rail operations than the majority of commentators you see in such other publications.

The most intriguing part of this refers to the late Bill Withuhn:

Quote:
Nevertheless, rumors suggest T1s could far exceed that speed, with former Smithsonian transportation curator William Withuhn allegedly publishing an anecdote of a T1-pulled train breaking 140 mph. Obviously, such a tale is impossible to verify, as the T1 would be a record-holder if its supposed top speed could be proven.

The next sentence says this can't be proven from what records we have available, but the line above also has a link to something from Withuhn.

https://pairlist6.pair.net/pipermail/nw ... 05035.html

This is the section in question:

Quote:
The 140 mph observation for the PRR T1 was published
as part of Bill Withuhn's series, Requiem for a
Heavyweight (Notes on the Final Evolution of American
Steam - Part 13) for the New York Railroad
Enthusiasts' magazine, early 1976. The account goes
like this:

The Franklin spy returned with an amazing record.
"Here, " he said, "You calculate the speeds, with
these timings on these recorded mileposts." Julius
[Kirchoff] and Ray [Delano] both worked out many
sample speeds from the log. With short (8-10 car)
trains and late departures, the record was clear:
T1's were frequently exceeding 140 mph for sustained
periodics! No wonder the [poppet] valves were
breaking.

When it is recalled that the offical world record for
steam was around 127 mph, and that having been run
under special conditions, 140 seems a bit much. But
recall: the T1 was really two 80"-drivered Atlantics,
back to back, and under a boiler and plant capable of
6500 indicated horsepower, Couple that with the T1's
machine efficiency of nearly 94% and you have the
makings of something special.

end of quote

This story has led to much speculation that Bill W.
has the Franklin book (he never said he did) and that
such exploits were clearly documented.

This author goes on to say we still can't prove anything, yet I don't think Mr. Withuhn would say anything like this without basing it on something.

Of course, the only way to really know will be to complete the engine and actually run the tests.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:59 am 

The thing about mile posts (at least in the modern era) is that unless it's listed in the employee timetable as being a measured mile for checking the speed/distance recorder's accuracy on a lead unit, they can be short or long by hundreds of feet. Really, the only way to ever know for sure is to set out to do a run in a facility like Pueblo, that is measured six ways to Sunday and will leave no doubt.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:20 am 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
The thing about mile posts (at least in the modern era) is that unless it's listed in the employee timetable as being a measured mile for checking the speed/distance recorder's accuracy on a lead unit, they can be short or long by hundreds of feet. Really, the only way to ever know for sure is to set out to do a run in a facility like Pueblo, that is measured six ways to Sunday and will leave no doubt.

From my experience on the ex PRR and New Haven's Northeast Corridor, the only places mile markers were off by more than a few feet was where the right of way had been moved -usually for curve relocations or cut offs, or the changes in the Philadelphia Terminal area related to 30th Street Station replacing Broad Street Station. The normal minor discrepancies in a 5,280 mile wouldn't even be noticeable as a rounding error.

To be fair, while I believe the Franklin Valve folk's notes of milepost timings, it does not rise to the level of proof needed to claim a world speed record. OTOH Those notes do make me confident that 5550 will bring the trophy home.

And - - - as a retired Maintenance of Way employee, it makes me proud that the Track section workers kept the railroad smooth and strong enough for 140 MPH running of a ~ 472 ton locomotive and tender, plus the train. That is FRA Class 8 track in the modern world.

Brian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:44 am 

Keep a number of things in mind as you ponder the wisdom ( or lack thereof) of challenging the world steam locomotive speed record being a part of the whole PRR T-1
project.

Firstly, it directly answers the old and very true adage of " dream no small dreams as they fail to stir men's souls ".........and

Secondly, absent the possibility of returning the steam locomotive speed crown to the USA the whole PRR T-1 effort loses its appeal to the much wider general audience not tuned into the relatively tiny universe of mainline steam happenings.

From all the reliable information available in the public domain there is ample evidence to believe that the PRR T-1's regularly achieved speeds far in excess of 100 mph in regular service.

On our trip west with the Golden Spike Centennial Limited in 1969 I had a pilot engineer who was a fireman on the PRR in the 1940's-50's and frequently fired a 5500 class locomotive in that service. He told me that on a good number of trips when they were running late that they would "regularly" run 30 minute or quicker miles with trains of 9-12 cars and think nothing of it.

My gut tells me this new born thoroughbred will set a new steam locomotive speed record that will probably stand for eternity?? However never never say never as there are those who believe that N&W 611 with its state of the art cross counter balancing can achieve speeds in excess of 130 mph so maybe there will be more than one challenger??

Exciting possibilities !! Ross Rowland

Last edited by co614 on Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:44 am 

Several segments of the former Pennsylvania Railroad that I am familiar with here in Pennsylvania included the distance in feet between mileposts, and those miles often were several hundred feet longer or shorter than an actual statute mile. It was actually somewhat rare to find two or three contiguous miles that were 5,280 feet.

Last edited by G. W. Laepple on Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:22 pm 

co614 wrote:
Secondly However never never say never as there are those who believe that N&W 611 with its state of the art cross counter balancing can achieve speeds in excess of 130 mph so maybe there will be more than one challenger??

As I recall when the 611 was initially rebuilt for its first excursion service it may have been either Trains or Railfan had an in depth article on the Class J design. Due its small drivers, in order to reach the maximum service speed they may have reduced the overbalance to a minimum to reduce the driver lift at high speed. To reduce the yawing effect, did I recall they stiffened the lead and trailing truck centering rockers to compensate? If so, it made me wonder how it negotiated the switches and curves at Strasburg…..unless it was lossened up over the years?

Keep in mind at 110mph, the 70” drivers on the 611 are spinning at 528rpm, if you have walked up to and really got a sense of how massive the rods are on the 611, the cross heads, etc. the thought of that RPM is terrifying!

The T1 will have less gross dynamic forces with lighter reciprocating motion with divided drive. However with 80” drivers at 130 mph, the revs will be around 545 RPM..

Food for thought.

Regards

Randy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next