It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: EBT Winter Spectacular Feb. 20th
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:15 pm 

o anderson wrote:
Cross posted from the NGDF, a video by "jimsmithebtrr" is brief and has very nice views of the February 2021 event (although no views of electric operations on the Shade Gap branch).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5JV2bhHAqA

You want to have your hearts warmed?

Look at the ages of the people on the train. Look at the ages of the people in the photo line.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:16 am 

I’ve kept telling people that this is the project that has the chance of being probably the most exciting project in the US: rebuilding a narrow gauge railroad with almost entirely original rolling stock, buildings, and the line still being in place. What more could you want?

I can’t name a time something like this was done in the US. The only projects I could compare this one to are the narrow gauge lines in wales.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:54 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Ed Kapuscinski wrote:
o anderson wrote:
Cross posted from the NGDF, a video by "jimsmithebtrr" is brief and has very nice views of the February 2021 event (although no views of electric operations on the Shade Gap branch).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5JV2bhHAqA

You want to have your hearts warmed?

Look at the ages of the people on the train. Look at the ages of the people in the photo line.

Two factors at play there:

1) You have young people between the ages of, say, 20 and 30 that have spent the past 11 years hearing repeatedly all about what they "just missed out on," that finally have a chance to get out there and experience the RR. Not taking their chances. Tomorrow never comes.

2) Those of us old enough to have made the pilgrimage to Orby/Rockhill religiously every October are both waiting for steam/more restored cars/etc. and "hiding from the wee beastie virus" because we're "old f*rts" old enough to be at supposedly increased risk yet not old enough to have the vaccine offered to us yet............

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:52 pm 

msrlha_archivist wrote:
Given that the Covid-19 vaccines range from being only 90%-94.5% effective, it might be wise to continue wearing a mask for years to come and forgo social activities, even if the virus gets down to lower levels. Perhaps instead of going out to eat with friends, host a Zoom meeting.

Unless this is sarcasm (I can't tell) - I'm a very cautious fellow. Masks everywhere, not going to movies, outdoor dining is ok - still going to train events, photo charters, etc. That being said - 90% effective at preventing it entirely, and extremely effective at preventing severe illness and hospitalization, I'll take my chances with that.

On another note, for those saying there was "light" attendance - the first trips sold out so quickly that they added more trips on - twice. Plus they added the M-3 on as well due to popular demand. I imagine that if there were no COVID restrictions in place, those trips still would have sold out.

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:06 pm 

Steamguy73 wrote:
I can’t name a time something like this was done in the US. The only projects I could compare this one to are the narrow gauge lines in wales.

The rebuilding of the WW&F Railway in Maine is somewhat comparable. Like the Welsh Highland Railway, most of the infrastructure was gone. They've managed to incrementally rebuild 3.5 miles over the original railbed plus repurpose an historic bridge. They also managed to obtain and restore one of the locomotives that originally ran over the line. From a statement on their web page "We attempt to replicate history as best we can, through the use of steam locomotives, hand signals, and the methods used by people on the original railroad, as much as possible." The big difference is that the EBT still had the roundhouse, turntable, shops, bridges & rail in place. Not to mention multiple original steam engines.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:25 pm 

With all due respect to the effort in Maine ( and it has certainly earned a great deal of respect) the EBT project is many magnitudes more significant and impactful.

The EBTF is committed to completely restoring this completely intact vertically integrated steam powered enterprise to full working order as it was until its shut down in 1956.

According to the Smithsonian the EBT represents the " most completely intact original steam powered 19th. and early 20th. century enterprise in the nation". It's a whole lot more than just 6 steam locos and 31 miles of 3 ft. track.

Once fully back you'll be able to not only ride the 31 miles on ng railroad behind steam ( and several branches) but also be able to witness first hand the fascinating steam powered shops and buildings in the Rockhill complex. It will certainly be an unique " living history" destination of national importance.

Watching it come back to life over the next few years will be a great pleasure.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:49 pm 

co614 wrote:
With all due respect to the effort in Maine (and it has certainly earned a great deal of respect) the EBT project is many magnitudes more significant and impactful.

Agreed. There is little in common with the WW&F's restoration and the EBT. The WW&F had very little "original fabric" to start with; whereas the EBT is essentially complete. Both are great projects (and both are near and dear to this author) and I look forward to supporting the progress of both efforts