It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum acquires a rare steam loc
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:10 am 

What was the fireman's side cab of a Camelback used for? How did the crew pass signals to each other?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:55 pm 

CCDW wrote:
It would appear that the injectors are in the cab (at least the engineers was) which would lead one to believe that the fireman didn't over see feed water.

Attachment:
small IMG_20151104_103527736.jpg
small IMG_20151104_103527736.jpg [ 340.82 KiB | Viewed 4615 times ]

JimBoylan wrote:
What was the fireman's side cab of a Camelback used for? How did the crew pass signals to each other?
Not much. In #1187's case, in bad weather I'll bet that the fireman spent a lot of time in there, in between running back into the freezing rain and throwing twenty scoops of slack onto the fire before scooting back into the cab for a half hour.

On freight trains, I assume that the head end brakeman would ride in there. As far as passing signals, at least in the case of our #475 with her high arched cab, the acoustics are incredible, and you can hear the person on the other side of the boiler with perfect clarity.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:57 pm 

Okay; I have to ask this question. Wouldn't the museum across the street from the Strasburg RR been a choice location for the Camelback ? Just wondering. I bear no favoritism for either museum but the Camelback was certainly more regional to Pennsylvania.

Kevin K.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:07 pm 

Opinion: RMPA is a great display of static locomotives. If 1187 is to ever run again, AOS was the place to send it. And with full respect going before my next question, how did 1187 deteriorate so badly in the custody of the finest steam locomotive repair shop on the east coast?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:12 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
Opinion: RMPA is a great display of static locomotives. If 1187 is to ever run again, AOS was the place to send it. And with full respect going before my next question, how did 1187 deteriorate so badly in the custody of the finest steam locomotive repair shop on the east coast?

Because the shop had a never-ending supply of paid work to do, from contract work for other railroads, to inspections/maintenance/operating their four operable steam locomotives, as well as work on 31/7312 as time permits - 1187 wasn't high on their list of things to do, unfortunately.

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:35 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:

There was a comment in one of the threads that they wanted to but could never make the numbers work to justify the cost. That's one of the best reasons that they are one of the finest steam shops in the country - because they understand they're running a business.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:36 pm 

I believe the locomotive also spent a fair bit of time across the street if I’m not mistaken.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:21 pm 

A road foreman could use the fireman's side of the cab when riding the loco. When the DL&W 4-4-0 camelback at the museum near St Louis had its cab replaced during a cosmetic restoration it was found that the running board and cab floor on the fireman's side was six inches higher (IIRC) than on the engineer's side. That was something which hadn't been noticed before. I wonder if that is the case on this loco.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:39 am 

kevin kohls wrote:
Okay; I have to ask this question. Wouldn't the museum across the street from the Strasburg RR been a choice location for the Camelback ?
IIRC, the RRMPA was informed about our plan to sell #1187, and had no interest. Remember, they are a part of a state bureaucracy and have very little in the way of self-determination. All of the big decisions are made in Harrisburg by non-train people.

Richard Glueck wrote:
Opinion: And with full respect going before my next question, how did 1187 deteriorate so badly in the custody of the finest steam locomotive repair shop on the east coast?
#1187 holds a lot of sentimental value for Linn, who remembers her running when he was a kid, and he was trying to justify a way to restore her (or trade her for #1223) right up until his retirement, plus, he is a bit of a hoarder.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:50 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Kelly Anderson wrote:
kevin kohls wrote:
Okay; I have to ask this question. Wouldn't the museum across the street from the Strasburg RR been a choice location for the Camelback ?
IIRC, the RRMPA was informed about our plan to sell #1187, and had no interest. Remember, they are a part of a state bureaucracy and have very little in the way of self-determination. All of the big decisions are made in Harrisburg by non-train people.

My understanding, from numerous past conversations with staff there, is that the RR Museum of Pa. is officially not even allowed to WANT more artifacts, and that it is the responsibility of either outright donors or the Friends of the RR Museum of Pa. to make such acquisitions happen.

Therefore, if you went to the Museum, it wasn't going to happen. If you approached the FRIENDS OF The RR Museum of Pa. with a price in mind, on the other hand........

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:08 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
#1187 holds a lot of sentimental value for Linn, who remembers her running when he was a kid, and he was trying to justify a way to restore her (or trade her for #1223) right up until his retirement, plus, he is a bit of a hoarder.

Very interesting. I wonder what the value of a unique locomotive in operation is? It’s an interesting question to ask.