It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum acquires a rare steam loc
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:19 pm 

That is great news. From a lifelong railfan Ive always wanted to see a camelback in operation and I always figured if any did it would be THIS one because of the low speeds it ran at. I know its only planned as a cosmetic restoration, but would also be a perfect fit as a switcher around the AoS grounds. Fire it up once in a while when doing group tours and give them a small jaunt around the yards. Just a thought, but to me this little camelback and 4014 were 2 of the 3 operational missing links to tell the story of steam evolution in the US (the other being C&O 490).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:37 pm 

There are a lot of missing links to the development of steam in the U. S. To name a couple just off the top of my head, virtually no Southern Antebellum steam locomotives, and no U. S. Military RR 4-4-0s, and virtually nothing before the 1850's outside of John Bull and maybe one other one exist? Just about everything representing that era is a replica. C&O 490, while stunning and impressive was a very unique rebuild for a train that never ran, certainly not typical of C&O Hudsons. Were you just referring to existing locomotives that haven't been restored to operation?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:39 am 

daylight4449 wrote:
Alright, got a question that involves 1187 here... She's an Class A-4B, but I've seen reference to an A-5A class of 0-4-0 camelback and saw a model of what someone claimed to be an A-5A... Which frankly looked like 1187, but with a steel cab and slopeback tender. Was there really much of a difference between the two classes of engine? Because I can't find any readily available specifications to make a comparison.

From 'Reading Steam Pictorial' by Bert Pennypacker (published by P&D Carleton, 1964):

Class A-4b, Nos. 1187-1249 (11 engines). 16x24 in cylinders, 50 sq ft grate area, 200 psi boiler pressure, 104,800 lbs on drivers, 20,890 lbs tractive effort. Originally built by Baldwin as class A-4a in 1902-03. They originally had 4 wheel tenders but were upgraded to eight-wheelers.

Class A-5a, Nos. 1147-1184 (exc 1155). 18x24 in cylinders, 50 sq ft grate area, 185 psi boiler pressure, 110,450 lbs on drivers, 24,455 lbs T.E. Built by Baldwin and P&R Shops, 1906-13. Wheelbase was 7 ft 0 in.

Both had 44 inch drivers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:06 pm 

Not to detract from the Camelback news, but I have not heard anything out of AOS recently regarding the B&LE 643. I know they were able to retrieve the tender, and it is certainly a massive job, especially when impacted by the virus. Anyone have any insight?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:28 pm 

"Not to detract from the Camelback news, but I have not heard anything out of AOS recently regarding the B&LE 643. I know they were able to retrieve the tender, and it is certainly a massive job, especially when impacted by the virus. Anyone have any insight?"

If the Covid-19 virus would just leave Pittsburgh, then the Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum could get back in there to work moving the Texas to Ohio. Nothing will be accomplished there until the city allows such work to continue.

Be safe.

John B. Corns

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:31 am 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
There are a lot of missing links to the development of steam in the U. S. To name a couple just off the top of my head, virtually no Southern Antebellum steam locomotives, and no U. S. Military RR 4-4-0s, and virtually nothing before the 1850's outside of John Bull and maybe one other one exist? Just about everything representing that era is a replica. C&O 490, while stunning and impressive was a very unique rebuild for a train that never ran, certainly not typical of C&O Hudsons. Were you just referring to existing locomotives that haven't been restored to operation?

Indeed I was. Since so many are extinct that represent a technological achievement or apex of certain designs I figured that focusing on what we still have would be a more realistic expectation. It sure would be something to see this little tea kettle chuffing around with a few coaches. IMHO a sight similar to seeing 4014 :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:53 am 

Interesting.

The B&O Museum in Baltimore has a considerable collection of pre-1860 locomotives illustrating the early development of steam power.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:02 pm 

EJ Berry wrote:
Interesting.

The B&O Museum in Baltimore has a considerable collection of pre-1860 locomotives illustrating the early development of steam power.

Phil Mulligan

I didn't say there weren't any, and aren't most of the ones in the B&O Museum replicas built for the 1927 Fair of the Iron Horse (including the Tom Thumb)?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:55 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
There are a lot of missing links to the development of steam in the U. S. To name a couple just off the top of my head, virtually no Southern Antebellum steam locomotives, and no U. S. Military RR 4-4-0s, and virtually nothing before the 1850's outside of John Bull and maybe one other one exist?

The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia has an 1842 era locomotive on display:

http://www.readingrailroad.org/profiles ... m_pr3.html

Popularly known today as “Peoples’ Railway No. 3”, this may be the second oldest extant Reading steam locomotive. Its original identity is unknown, but it was probably built in 1842 by Eastwick & Harrison for the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad and later sold to an industrial user. The Peoples Railway Company of Pottsville, PA purchased it from a private owner in 1873, and it came back under Reading ownership through the acquisition of the Peoples Railway by the Reading in 1923. Conveyed to the Franklin Institute in 1933.

And also an 1838 locomotive imported from England:

http://www.readingrailroad.org/profiles ... ocket.html

The “Rocket” was one of eight locomotives (Firefly, Spitfire, Comet, Dragon, Helca, Planet and Gem) ordered from and built by the Braithwaite, Milner & Company of London, England in 1838 for passenger service on the Philadelphia & Reading. It was delivered to the Port of Philadelphia, transported by canal boats on the Schuylkill Canal to Reading, PA and hauled by horses up Penn Street to the railroad at Seventh Street. It was a typical wood burner, had four 41.75" drivers, 10.5" x 16" cylinders and weighed just slightly over 17,000 pounds. Its boiler was capable of developing 25 horsepower.*[1]

Converted in 1863 to 0-4-0 tank type. Renumbered to #1 in 1872. Retired from service in 1879 after traveling 310,164 miles. Restored to original as-built configuration for the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago. Donated to the Franklin Institute in 1933.

Brian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:13 pm 

It would appear that the injectors are in the cab (at least the engineers was) which would lead one to believe that the fireman didn't over see feed water. So was there a person across from the engineer that ran the fireman's injector? If there was, what was he called and what were his other duties? I assume he was the eyes on that side of the engine as the fireman would have had to lean out to see and then how did he tell the engineer what he saw? Or was there an injector down at the fireman's station and if his gun quit working how did he communicate this to the engineer? In the bigger picture how did fireman and engineer communicate at all? Just curious, CCdW.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:45 pm 

<" So was there a person across from the engineer that ran the fireman's injector? If there was, what was he called and what were his other duties? I assume he was the eyes on that side of the engine as the fireman would have had to lean out to see and then how did he tell the engineer what he saw? Or was there an injector down at the fireman's station and if his gun quit working how did he communicate this to the engineer?"

No, that would have required a third locomotive crew member to operate a Camelback, which would have been too expensive. Instead, the engineer's side of the boiler was equipped with a dual injector and he added all the water to the boiler. All 3 surviving Camelback locomotives feature one of these unusual and beautiful "double-gun" injectors, and with their unmistakable dual piping, they are easily seen in both old and new photos. Be safe.

John B. Corns

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:30 pm 

B&O Museum: "Tom Thumb" is a replica and B&O 13 "Lafayette" is a replica; the rest are originals albeit modified in some cases.

Franklin Institute: Peoples Railway #3 also features Harrison's patented equalized suspension, which made locomotives with multiple driving axles practical.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:23 pm 

EJ Berry wrote:
B&O Museum: "Tom Thumb" is a replica and B&O 13 "Lafayette" is a replica

Made in the 1930s by the B&O is not the originals but is old for replica hahaha

For the 1187, i am happy, with this new. AoS grew his collection each year and become a good home for the steams locomotives in North America.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:34 pm 

The fireman on a camelback had plenty to keep him busy. He was trying to keep a fire going in a firebox the size of a bedroom. Some larger camelbacks even had double firedoors. CNJ No. 592 at the B&O Museum is one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:39 pm 

"The fireman on a camelback had plenty to keep him busy."

Especially because he was firing from the tender deck. At speed, I'm sure that backhead was jumping around with a different harmonic than the tender!

I was in the engineer's side cab of 592 once; I was absolutely amazed at how small and cramped it was. No wonder they sat on the windowsill. Was also in the firebox: there are no tubes in her.

Howard P.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next