It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about Strasburg Plymouth #1
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:48 pm 

A question maybe one of the SRC guys can answer...

In the current issue of the Friends of the RMofP newsletter(*) there is a large broadside photo of Strasburg RR Plymouth locomotive #1 that was taken in 1937. In the photo the front hood doors are open and the gasoline engine is partially visible. The engine appears to be a Climax--yes, the same Corry, PA company that made the geared steam locomotives. The big Climax power plants seem to have been a popular engine choice for these 1920's era Plymouth locomotives. They were typically Inline-Sixes with two cylinders sharing one of three heads. Combined with a clutch and mechanical drive, it was more like running a bulldozer than a locomotive!

So the question is does SRC #1 still have its original prime mover? I believe #1 is operational and if it still has its original engine (in working order) then its about 1000 times "rarer" than the steam locomotives that pass by its resting place!

(*) I definately recommend a membership with the Friends of the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania if only to receive their excellent newsletter "The Milepost", which is actually closer to a magazine than a newsletter. In addition to information pertaining to museum activities, there are always great historical articles about all kinds of railroading in the Keystone state.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

Post subject: Re: Question about Strasburg Plymouth #1
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:16 pm 

> So the question is does SRC #1 still have
> its original prime mover? I believe #1 is
> operational and if it still has its original
> engine (in working order) then its about
> 1000 times "rarer" than the steam
> locomotives that pass by its resting place!

Jim,

I spotted that same photo myself. #1 is servicable, and all original. The engine even still has the same air filters under the carb.

> (*) I definately recommend a membership with
> the Friends of the Railroad Museum of
> Pennsylvania if only to receive their
> excellent newsletter "The
> Milepost", which is actually closer to
> a magazine than a newsletter.

Speaking of magazines, the November issue of Railway Age has a nice artical about the Part 230 school that the FRA is putting its inspectors through at Strasburg.

kelly@strasburgrailroad.com

Post subject: Climax engines *PIC*
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:12 pm 

Just how rare are Climax gas engines? How many exist?

The East Broad Top Railroad Homepage
ebtrr@spikesys.com

Post subject: Re: Climax engines
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:17 am 

> Just how rare are Climax gas engines? How
> many exist?

I have no idea how many Climax-built gasoline engines are left in the world, but I'd wager there aren't too many still in working order (at least as far as locomotives are concerned!). Hence this makes SRC #1 a notable piece of equipment.

BTW, as Chris probably already knows, the East Broad Top shops currently house a 3' gauge Plymouth locomotive with a Climax-built prime mover. However, I don't believe this example is in working order.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

Post subject: Re: Climax engines
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:55 am 

Our #2 Plymouth also has a Climax engine. Identical to #1's, but 4 cylinders instead of 6.

kelly@strasburgrailroad.com

Post subject: Re: Climax engines *PIC*
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:17 am 

> BTW, as Chris probably already knows, the
> East Broad Top shops currently house a 3'
> gauge Plymouth locomotive with a
> Climax-built prime mover. However, I don't
> believe this example is in working order.

Here's a photo of it. Don't know its condition but I'm sure it has not been run in many years.

The East Broad Top Railroad Homepage
ebtrr@spikesys.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:01 pm 

> A question maybe one of the SRC guys can
> answer...

> In the current issue of the Friends of the
> RMofP newsletter(*) there is a large
> broadside photo of Strasburg RR Plymouth
> locomotive #1 that was taken in 1937. In the
> photo the front hood doors are open and the
> gasoline engine is partially visible. The
> engine appears to be a Climax--yes, the same
> Corry, PA company that made the geared steam
> locomotives. The big Climax power plants
> seem to have been a popular engine choice
> for these 1920's era Plymouth locomotives.
> They were typically Inline-Sixes with two
> cylinders sharing one of three heads.
> Combined with a clutch and mechanical drive,
> it was more like running a bulldozer than a
> locomotive!

> So the question is does SRC #1 still have
> its original prime mover? I believe #1 is
> operational and if it still has its original
> engine (in working order) then its about
> 1000 times "rarer" than the steam
> locomotives that pass by its resting place!

> (*) I definately recommend a membership with
> the Friends of the Railroad Museum of
> Pennsylvania if only to receive their
> excellent newsletter "The
> Milepost", which is actually closer to
> a magazine than a newsletter. In addition to
> information pertaining to museum activities,
> there are always great historical articles
> about all kinds of railroading in the
> Keystone state.

> Regards,
> Jim Robinson
are you sure its the same co. i asked about that 30 years ago to some one who had one . i was told same town but not same co. whos right? bb

staybolt2@netscape.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:44 pm 

Out on the west coast we have one Plymouth, in good running order with all original equipment including the Climax R4 gasoline engine. The locomotive is at the Pacific Locomotive Association's Niles Canyon Railway (www.ncry.org) and is used regularly as the shop switcher.

The Plymouth is a 10-ton model JLA builders number 3368 built in November 1929. The locomotive was built for the Santa Catalina Island Company of Avalon, California, and worked to build Los Angeles and Long Beach harbors. In 1940 it was sold to American Bridge Company in Los Angeles and was used in construction work including building the Shasta Dam. In 1965 it was moved to Richmond, California, where it eventually ended up at Judson Steel until 1972 as a switcher. In 1976 it was bought and restored by G. Childs and H. Wise and became Castro Point Railway #103 (this was the first known number the locomotive ever carried). In the late 1980's the 103 was moved to Niles Canyon and is currently being cosmetically restored.

The little Dinky runs quite well, it's Climax engine is in great running condition for being 73 years old.

Johnathon Kruger
Niles Canyon Railway

http://www.ncry.org
johnathon_kruger@hotmail.com

Post subject: Oops, my bad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:44 pm 

Well until now I thought it was same company. I just searched around the 'net some and found out these Climax gasoline engines were made by the Climax ENGINE Manufacturing Company vs. the Climax Manufacturing Company (the loco builder). Not sure if there was ever a connection between the two firms, but the Climax ENGINE Manufacturing Company later became part of the Waukesha Company. Learn something new everyday! Working Climax-powered locomotives still must be fairly uncommon beasts.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

Post subject: Re: Climax engines *PIC*
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:39 pm 

In addition to the spare climax engine Mid-Continent has that I already mentioned, I almost forgot about Mid-Continent's shop goat. It's a 1928 Plymouth Locomotive powered by an operational climax engine.

Allan

Mid-Continent's Climax Powered Plymouth
ddg14@attbi.com

Post subject: Re: Question about Strasburg Plymouth #1 *PIC*
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:56 pm 

Interesting that this should come up; I'm currently involved in the restoration of Sumpter Valley Ry #100, a 1929 20-ton narrow-gauge Whitcomb with an RI-6 Climax engine. You are correct in your post below in that Climax engines had no corporate connection to Climax locomotive. I don't know that they're all that rare (although probably not exactly plentiful) - in addition to the engine in #100 we have several climax blocks and two complete (not operable) engines. One of these is in a Plymouth HL, the other in an ex-Oregon DOT Sno-Go snow blower ca. 1930's or thereabouts.
Climax engines were somewhat unique in having dual ignition systems - one ran on a distributor and one on a magneto, two spark plugs per cylinder. The engine could run on either one or both. Oddly enough, all our "spare" engines have broken crank shafts. With long stroke, low speed big bore and low end torque they must have been prone to this ailment.
In a month or so we hope to hear this one run for the first time in 35+ years.
Jeff Acock
Adrian OR

ngdeadgoat@yahoo.com