It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: railroad exhibit
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:30 pm 

I read someplace that the Smithsonian's Railroad Hall is being re-built for among other things the
Sante Fe PA unit that came back from Mexico.

Any news on that? When does the new exhibit open?

Ted Miles

ted_miles@nps.gov

Post subject: Re: railroad exhibit
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:39 pm 

Yes and no.

The former Railroad Hall and Autombile Hall are closed, to be replaced in 2003 by a new exhibit, "America on the Move", designed by Transportation Curator Bill Withun. Here's a blurb from the NMAH Web site:

"AMERICA ON THE MOVE, the National Museum of American History's first major exhibition on transportation since 1964, will combine all the modes of transport -- road, rail, air, water -- into an interpretive experience that puts transportation into American history, from 1880 to the present. AMERICA ON THE MOVE will build upon the Smithsonian's unparalleled collections, draw on the best scholarship, and incorporate powerful multi-media. The result will be an exhibition IN MOTION, engaging our visitors and broadening their understanding of the key role transportation has played in our Nation's story."

To the best of my knowledge, the PA is not planned to be part of the new exhibit, though 1401 certainly is.

eledbetter@rypn.org

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:53 pm 

Will be interesting to see what they have on streetcars, interurbans, etc!

lamontdc@adelphia.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:36 pm 

I have been working with the Smithsonian staff on some questions related to Capital Traction 303. The car will be moved upstairs to where the auto collection is now located, and will sit in street rail with simulated conduit. The Smithsonian also plans to do an exhibit of a cross section of a CTA PCC-el car. I do not know where that will go. SR 1401 stays put.

Wesley Paulson
National Capital Trolley Museum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:52 pm 

Please remember that Southern #1401 was placed before construction of the building was completed, and moving a PA or other large item inside now would be a very major project. It's probably too late to make any additions of full size diesels or electrics without adding to or altering the building.

Museum of Transportation
rdgoldfede@aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:42 pm 

I believe the SI's Chicago transit car that used to be stored at Steamtown will be featured in the exhibition. One of the reasons we accepted the loan-in of Olomana and C&A coach No. 3 was because both pieces fell outside the themes of the new exhibition, and we already store/exhibit many other pieces from the SI collection. It is a "win-win" for both parties. We also received many of the old exhibit cases that used to reside in the Railroad Hall, which are now stored in our Rolling Stock Hall. Bill Withuhn mentioned that he is even using a piece of the original U.S. Route 66 which visitors will be able to walk on. I think only SR 1401 will be the only full-size non-public transit railroad vehicle in the exhibition, since John Bull is not part of the planned post-1880 public transportation theme. I am looking forward to "America on the Move" and will gladly submit a report to Rypn readers of the exhibition opening and reception when it happens.

> Please remember that Southern #1401 was
> placed before construction of the building
> was completed, and moving a PA or other
> large item inside now would be a very major
> project. It's probably too late to make any
> additions of full size diesels or electrics
> without adding to or altering the building.

http://rrmuseumpa.org

Post subject: More on the Railroad Exhibit
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:48 pm 

I think only SR 1401 will be the only
> full-size non-public transit railroad
> vehicle in the exhibition

Almost forgot...I believe the Santa Cruz RR "Jupiter" of 1876 may be featured with 1401. With Olomana, C&A coach No. 3, and CVRR "Pioneer" out of NMAH, as well as the remains of "Stourbridge Lion" and the relocation of the Capital Transit car and the Yesler Way grip car, I'm not sure what will be left as part of the new permanent exhibition (other than 1401). I know all the walls from the various transportation galleries will cease to exist and the all the themes will be broadly integrated into a single setting. It will be the first remodeling of the transportation exhibits at NMAH since 1964.

http://rrmuseumpa.org

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:37 pm 

> Please remember that Southern #1401 was
> placed before construction of the building
> was completed, and moving a PA or other
> large item inside now would be a very major
> project. It's probably too late to make any
> additions of full size diesels or electrics
> without adding to or altering the building.

Not intirely true.......I was foruntate enough to have one of the riggers on that moved the little 4-4-0 in on one of my tours this summer, usuing the method they did it's possible to move any thing in to that room as long as you have the proper width to get it around what ever else is there already, now if they are actually going to do it or not I have no idea but it is possible.

btrue@vt.edu

Post subject: Re: CTCo 303
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:02 pm 

CTCo 303 stays in the building as part of the expanded exhibit. FYI it was moved into the building long after SR 1401 was in place. SI removed a window pane and moved the car in ahead of and perpendicular to SR 1401 and then turned the car to set it on the rails. No, I don't have pictures of this move.

In another related story, we hired a local auto body repairman to restore Capital Transit 1053 back in the late 1980s. Once he was on the job he brought in a photo of his work as a young man on the paint crew to get SR 1401 ready for display at the Smithsonian in the early 1960s. The work was done at the old SR yard on King St. in Alexandria, VA. Small world. Don't have that picture either.

Wesley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:36 pm 

Don't forget the National Museum of Industrial History, a much more appropriate setting for the PA.

http://www.todengine.org
jrowlands@neo.rr.com

Post subject: What about the Winton 201
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:42 pm 

This was the original engine from Burlinton's Pioneer Zephyr. Is this going to be incorporated into an exhibit? I wonder if the group restoring the B&M Flying Yankee knows about this engine?

TOmcough@aol.com

Post subject: Re: CTA exhibit
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:32 am 

> The Smithsonian also plans to do an
> exhibit of a cross section of a CTA PCC-el
> car. I do not know where that will go. SR
> 1401 stays put.

It's not really going to be a cross-section of a car - AFAIK they're using the entire car, although it's only one unit of what was originally a two-unit "married-pair" set. The car is #6719 and it was recently seen at a Delaware rebuilding company being overhauled. A couple of IRM volunteers I know have been consulted on authentic 1960's-era interior colors and layout; from what they've said, SI will be tearing out a few seats and stanchions (to make the car ADA-compliant) and putting some displays in the car, but will keep it as a complete unit and will place it next to a simulated "L" platform.

Frank Hicks

fullparallel@wideopenwest.com