It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hiawatha responses
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:55 am 

A belated Thank You to all who answered my query about any existing Hiawatha locomotives and cars. And Erik, IÂ’m not sure which trainset might be investigated for existing cars. I wasnÂ’t aware that more than one was used. I posted the question for a friend whose grandfather was a Hiawatha 4-4-2 engineer, so will have to get back to him on that.

Dick

Post subject: Re: Hiawatha responses
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:55 am 

I'd appreciate it if you would ask your friend to ask his grandfather if he ever heard of a parade model of a Class A. An accurate model exists in Waukon, Iowa. Because of the quality of the work, I have wondered if it was built in the MILW shops. It is built on a special order Dodge frame, with two steering axles representing the lead truck. The history of the unit is obscure, it was purchased by an auctioneer in 1952 who has since died. I talked to three of his sons who tried to be helpful but don't have any information on the unit's history. Unfortunately the man who worked on it and drove in local parades years ago has also died.

The Class A is an odd choice for a parade unit, as it doesn't look like a traditional steam locomotive.

dsrc512@sd.value.net

Post subject: Class A Parade model
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:48 am 

Alex: Unfortunately my friendÂ’s grandfather is long gone, and he was just a small boy at the time, so itÂ’s very doubtful heÂ’d have the information you need. But IÂ’ll forward your question to him just in case.

Dick

Post subject: Re: Class A Parade model - Part 2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:42 pm 

Alex: Sorry, but he says he knows nothing about the model.

Dick