It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Historic 98 year old New York Central boxcar saved!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:37 pm 

Les,

Thanks for clearing that up! I hope some of the details about this car can be incorporated into future funding appeals. This is an important car for telling the story of the transition from wood to steel boxcars.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:43 pm 

We unloaded it this afternoon.

Bill

Attachments:
Image7396654364832232605.jpg
Image7396654364832232605.jpg [ 173.47 KiB | Viewed 3384 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:28 pm 

Bill -

Really looks great! Congrats!

Les

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:20 am 

Well done.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:00 pm 

The question was asked if this was on somebody's list or if CSX knew about it. This is part of what I shared on facebook.

I walked into the CSX (NYC) Greencastle Indiana depot/MOW office during lunch on February 12th and inquired with the Roadmaster about the status of an old boxcar sitting in his material storage area. He told me he had a phone number in hand (he showed me the note) and was literally about to call a scrapper to come cut it up as the doors don't work and he needed the space like yesterday. I asked him if he would hold off while I contact Jacksonville. He agreed to wait and the train was rolling down the track.

After waiting on moving quotes and approvals from both CSX and my board of directors I finally got the go ahead two weeks ago. Once they(CSX) knew about it the answer was yes. I agreed to have it moved by early April to help the MOW folks. So this happened in a hurry. It was loaded yesterday and unloaded this afternoon.

THANK YOU CSX!

Oh,the doors are stiff but they do work. Anybody have mechanical info on the Youngstown doors and roller mechs? It also has cast iron wheels...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:32 pm 

Wow! Terrific story. Thanks for being in the right place at the right time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:54 am 

hytwr1 wrote:
Oh,the doors are stiff but they do work. Anybody have mechanical info on the Youngstown doors and roller mechs? It also has cast iron wheels...

Here’s my experience:

If you’re really lucky, the trolleys are replacements and may have Alemite/Zerk fittings. Marine grease seems to work well and is somewhat waterproof. We have Zerks on some of our plug doors.

If they’re original and not worn badly, you may be able to flush them out with WD40 and squirt some lithium grease in there with a spray cans. They were usually made to be replaced so you might be able to take them off the door to work on them at the bench.

Make sure the tracks are clean and straight. That’ll bind up a door.

I haven’t replaced any trolleys/wheels yet but boxcar door parts are available and they could likely be a retrofit kind of thing that at least is close in appearance to what you have now. Freight Car America, Greenbriar, etc. and some smaller outfits. An online search may turn up trolleys you can use. Search for boxcar door parts or freight car parts.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:28 pm 

jayrod wrote:
hytwr1 wrote:

Here’s my experience:

If you’re really lucky, the trolleys are replacements and may have Alemite/Zerk fittings. Marine grease seems to work well and is somewhat waterproof. We have Zerks on some of our plug doors.

If they’re original and not worn badly, you may be able to flush them out with WD40 and squirt some lithium grease in there with a spray cans. They were usually made to be replaced so you might be able to take them off the door to work on them at the bench.

Make sure the tracks are clean and straight. That’ll bind up a door.

I haven’t replaced any trolleys/wheels yet but boxcar door parts are available and they could likely be a retrofit kind of thing that at least is close in appearance to what you have now. Freight Car America, Greenbriar, etc. and some smaller outfits. An online search may turn up trolleys you can use. Search for boxcar door parts or freight car parts.

Thanks Ed.

It looks like the zerks were probably there but removed.

Attachments:
Image1903329285479059011.jpg
Image1903329285479059011.jpg [ 232.64 KiB | Viewed 2805 times ]
Image6500545621078141729.jpg
Image6500545621078141729.jpg [ 241.45 KiB | Viewed 2805 times ]