It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lackawanna Hoboken Ferry Terminal Bell
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:25 am 

I was reminded after Roger Grant died by Ron McElrath that Roger had been gifted a bell from the Lackawanna RR Hoboken, NJ Ferry Terminal when he was writing his Erie-Lackawanna history. It was in his backyard in Akron, and I know he took it with him to South Carolina when he became head of the history department at Clemson. He commented to me at the time on trying to arrange moving it. I've never seen it, but apparently it's huge, like Liberty Bell big. The bells were used to help guide the car ferry boat captains to the correct slip during foggy weather. There was a different tone one for each slip.

Anyway, it occurs to me that his estate might need to find a new home for his bell and that the folks at the URHSNJ might be the people who could give it a new home where it could be seen and appreciated. I don't know how to contact her, but his daughter Julie lives in California and apparently is in-charge of things. The last I heard from Roger a couple of years ago, his wife Martha was in long-term care for a rare form of dementia, so she would not be a contact.