It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: L&N "Old Line" tourist trains
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:23 pm 

An article in Flimsies is reporting that operations will start next spring on the ex-L&N old line out of Etowah,Tenn.Anyone want to speculate on what kind of equipment could be used for the trains?I assume that the line could handle steam locomotives heavier than 2-8-0s like on the Great Smoky Mountains RR's Murphy branch.Could A&WP 4-6-2 290 run on the old line?

WINK638@aol.com

Post subject: Was this line always L&N?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:53 pm 

Was this line always L&N or was it absorbed with the NC&StL?

ryarger@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: Was this line always L&N?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:17 pm 

> Was this line always L&N or was it
> absorbed with the NC&StL?

The line was originally the Marietta & North Georgia, begun in the 1870s and completed from Marietta, GA to Knoxville, TN, in 1890. L&N acquired control in 1902 or thereabouts, but completed the "new line" between Etowah and an NC&StL connection at Cartersville around 1906.

JAC

Post subject: 290 and Loop dreams.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:38 pm 

I hate to say "no" without knowing for sure, but I would think that A&WP 290 would be a little on the large side for the Loop. The actual trestle at the Loop itself is wooden, addin the tight curves, etc. and as John points out, some narrow gauge engineering, and I would think it would be better suited to a big fat 2-8-0 with tiny drivers and enought tractive effort to do the job.

As an aside, I rode this line in fall 1986 behind diesel on a Saturday on an excursion from Etowah to Copperhill, then drove that night to Cumberland Gap and the next day chased KRM's L&N Pacific 152 from Loyall to Corbin, rode Corbin-Jellico. All that Sunday I kept thinking about how nice it would be to see the 152 on the Loop, a mirage that disappeared after CSX tossed water on any more L&N 152 "tours" like they did that fall in eastern Ky. Anybody here from KRM know if they ever considred a south Tenn. jaunt with the loop as part of the itinerary?

http://nctrans.org
Wrinnbo@aol.com

Post subject: Re: 290 and Loop dreams.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:21 pm 

Believe or not the last "Hook and Eye" local was pulled by L&N L-1 4-8-2 #418 from Knoxville to Copperhill. I bet the loop trestle moaned under that. Usually K-4(a) were the "Little Hook"s normal power.

H-28, H-29 2-8-0's were normal freight power on the "Old Line".

Still for purely personal reasons the thought of 290 up there is pleasant.

Shameless plug- Micheal George did a good book on the Old Line. It is titled Louisville & Nashville's Atlanta Division.

minterjr@mindspring.com

Post subject: actually, John
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:00 pm 

It was the Marietta and North Georgia Narrow Gauge. It was standardized of course, the hook of the hook and eye eliminated, and they ran Vauclain Compound 4-6-0's. They (in the very old days) ran Porter moguls, and when the line went into its first (I think) recievership, Mr James Bolan Glover (not sure what number) was among the recievers. He had recently started a foundry and machine ship in downtown Marietta, near the site of his family tannery which General Sherman eliminated on his way south (they were making harness for the confederacy at the time) and natrurally took in the job of maintaining the Porters. When a Glover belle married a Cherokee Brick Dunwoody from Macon, and Cherokee Brick needed steam locomotives, the Glover locomotive line was born. No accident they resemble Porter products.

How about regauging it back and leasing power from Cumbres and Toltec?

Dave

irondave@bellsouth.net

Post subject: Re: actually, John
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:58 pm 

Presuming that funding can be obtained, the line could handle equipment up to the size of the 290 easily. Of course, the real problem that the operation would have to overcome is sustaining a sufficient level of income to keep up the line. My last understanding from a friend who works for the CSXT and ran on that line is that it is essentially in need of major rebuilding along its entire length. Unfortunately, this line is also well off the beaten path for tourists here in this area. Unless the Georgia Northern (or another suitable operator) is interested in operating a diesel powered tourist train and buying or leasing the line, the probability for long term success is slim to non-existant.

awalker2002@comcast.net

Post subject: Re: actually, John
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:57 pm 

Not to mention this area is getting eat up with these type of operations.

minterjr@mindspring.com

Post subject: details, details . . .
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:27 pm 

> It was the Marietta and North Georgia Narrow
> Gauge. It was standardized of course . . .

Yeah, yeah, I was just answering the man's question, Brief Boy, not countin' rivets ;-)

> How about regauging it back and leasing
> power from Cumbres and Toltec?

Now wouldn't that be something to see? Although I think I'd be just as happy to see that Vauclain 4-6-0, or even a 1905 Rogers 4-6-2 with a tender from a 4-8-2 make the Loop and continue on down through Ball Ground to home territory . . .

JAC

Post subject: Re: details, details . . .
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:47 pm 

> Although I think I'd be just as happy to see
> that Vauclain 4-6-0, or even a 1905 Rogers
> 4-6-2 with a tender from a 4-8-2 make the
> Loop and continue on down through Ball
> Ground to home territory . . .

I'll bring along a few bottles of Old Valve Oil Stout.......let me know where and when.

Dave

irondave@bellsouth.net