It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dollywood question...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:04 pm 

Greetings:
I am "nearly" finished tracking down bits of information for the second edition of "The Steam Locomotive Directory of North America".
I have a vague recollection that there were the frame and wheels for a White Pass & Yukon 70 series 2-8-2 at Dollywood in addition to their running locomotives: former White Pass & Yukon Nos. 70 & 71 as well as No. 192 (also a 2-8-2). Are my recollections correct?
The new edition will include a section covering "major fragments" of steam locomotives such as frames and boilers in the hope that they might become starting points for future projects...
Thank you in advance for any help!
Be well,
J.David

Post subject: Re: Dollywood question...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:21 pm 

I think they’re from the 72 and all of the operational engines are using several parts from it.

Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:11 pm 

These two old posts over on the NGDF might help answer your questions:
Ken Riddle - June 24, 2000 - "Re: What about WP&Y #70 ?"
and
John C - March 28, 2010 - "Double D-wood 3.28.10"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:25 am 

WP&Y #72
Purchased new. Retired in 1964. Used as a stationary boiler from 1964 to 1969. Severely damaged in the 1969 Skagway roundhouse fire. All but its chassis was scrapped in 1974. The chassis was sold to Silver Dollar City in 1977. S.D.C. sold out to Dollywood in 1986.[34] Chassis scrapped in 1999.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:57 pm 

Also, Just F.Y.I, 71 is currently in storage outside Dollywood's backshop. Just thought you’d care to know.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:49 pm 

John T wrote:
WP&Y #72
Purchased new. Retired in 1964. Used as a stationary boiler from 1964 to 1969. Severely damaged in the 1969 Skagway roundhouse fire. All but its chassis was scrapped in 1974. The chassis was sold to Silver Dollar City in 1977. S.D.C. sold out to Dollywood in 1986.[34] Chassis scrapped in 1999.

Silver Dollar City is owned by Herschend Entertainment, they still operate Dollywood. Herschend and Dolly Parton are both co-owners of Dollywood.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:54 pm 

You know you're really old when you remember visiting the Rebel Railroad before it was Silver Dollar City.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:24 pm 

I would love to go back and time and see it as Rebel Railroad and see the evolution of the park. I remember riding the train, in the cab of #71 and the engine crew pointing out the "brand new" Tennessee Tornado. That was way before the bridge was built that leads guests to Thunderhead and Mystery Mine etc. It's been a great park to watch evolve over the years. For better and worse it's become a very legit theme park with many award winning unique coasters but keeping some of it's heritage theme with the old train, the blacksmiths, glass blowers, candlemakers, etc.

There was also an old amusement park in Pigeon Forge where one of the mini-golf operations is. The brochures for that place really make me want to visit.. it looks like a total rip-off of Disneyland.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:18 pm 

Quote:
There was also an old amusement park in Pigeon Forge where one of the mini-golf operations is. The brochures for that place really make me want to visit.. it looks like a total rip-off of Disneyland.

"Magic World" which totally was a poor mans Disneyland back in the day. When I was little I thought the dragon coaster and the train shop at "The Christmas Place" were the greatest things in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITQC19S7Vk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:51 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
I would love to go back and time and see it as Rebel Railroad and see the evolution of the park. I remember riding the train, in the cab of #71 and the engine crew pointing out the "brand new" Tennessee Tornado. That was way before the bridge was built that leads guests to Thunderhead and Mystery Mine etc. It's been a great park to watch evolve over the years. For better and worse it's become a very legit theme park with many award winning unique coasters but keeping some of it's heritage theme with the old train, the blacksmiths, glass blowers, candlemakers, etc.

Don't know if you've seen these or not, but have fun anyway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9jE2XAKptY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVt5Y2bsasU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:36 am 

Thanks for the links. Oh boy as a kid that would of been over the top fun. Regards, John.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:50 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
I remember riding the train, in the cab of #71 and the engine crew pointing out the "brand new" Tennessee Tornado.

Hang on just a quick second. 71 never operated at Dollywood, did she?

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:12 pm 

ha! noooooo my bad. #70 of course. I get the 190 and 192 mixed up all the time too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:26 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
ha! noooooo my bad. #70 of course. I get the 190 and 192 mixed up all the time too.

Hey, that's fine. We all make mistakes. Just like that one guy who forgot to drop sand on the rails as he was going up grade...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:08 pm 

Thanks much for posting the youtube links. That's probably about the time I visited.

Does anyone know what became of the two locomotives at the entrance?