It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sources for period correct window latches
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:42 pm 

I am currently looking for a few pairs of as close to possible / period correct window latches for a 1920's Reading commuter car. Does anyone know of any sources? Pictured are what I have that I am seeking more of.

Attachments:
window-latches.jpg
window-latches.jpg [ 60.33 KiB | Viewed 4933 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sources for period correct window latches
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:26 am 

Those latches really aren't that uncommon. I have one sitting on the desk in front of me. But if you can't find them try Adlake http://adlake.com. If they don't have them, they can make them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:40 am 

I know of a group that was able to find close matches in the marine world, they look like they belong on an old passenger car even if they are for boats, here is just one such company. I didn't see anything quite like yours here but if you search online for "boat latches" long enough you may find something identical to yours:
https://www.westmarine.com/catches-latc ... Hdwre-_-NA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:01 am 

If you google "Phoenix Lock Company" you will find the model 207 Window Catch is pretty close to what you are looking for. Unfortunately, you will also find that the Phoenix Lock Company has gone out of business and these are no longer manufactured. It was a relatively simple design and I would think there might be an opportunity for someone to make reproductions. If you find an alternate source, please let us know.

Alan Maples

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:26 am 

Alan Maples wrote:
If you google "Phoenix Lock Company" you will find the model 207 Window Catch is pretty close to what you are looking for. Unfortunately, you will also find that the Phoenix Lock Company has gone out of business and these are no longer manufactured. It was a relatively simple design and I would think there might be an opportunity for someone to make reproductions. If you find an alternate source, please let us know.

Alan Maples

I can reproduce these from new 3D printed investment patterns if there is enough interest. Please message me directly to discuss.

Thanks

Chris

Attachments:
cast wheels.jpg
cast wheels.jpg [ 48.04 KiB | Viewed 4827 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:14 am 

Hello I believe I have about 10-20 of them Please contact me at this site

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:37 pm 

That's a great "generic" style of latch for almost any car from a single truck streetcar through a heavyweight Pullman....... if all parts were available it could solve many problems for many projects.

Post subject: Phoenix Lock Company #207 sash pinch latches
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:10 pm 

We tried Phoenix Lock Company #207 window sash pinch latches. They're OK for static displays and theatrical sets. But they're nearly not as solidly built (basically the parts are no more than half the thickness) as steam-era originals made by O.M. Edwards or Adlake. The #207 latches quickly failed in service on Niles Canyon Railway. They're just not strong enough. Also the design is not the best - a single pin as the latch, with no wedging action to prevent the window sash from rattling.

The sash latches shown in the photo are a much better design. They're robustly built with dual locking fingers, and have the finger ends are cut diagonally for anti-rattle wedging action. I'd be very interested in buying 2 or 3 car-sets (at 48 pairs/car), plus matching notched tracks.

- Doug Debs