It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Railway Cars and Locos on the National Register
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:15 am 

I ran across the web page in the following link the other day, and it got me thinking. Why are some pieces of equipment worthy of the national register, while others are not? It's a pretty diverse list, but it seems there are a lot of deserving pieces of equipment (in my mind anyway) around that are not listed. Any info anyone has to share on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Allan

National Register
ddg14@attbi.com

Post subject: Re: Railway Cars and Locos on the National Registe
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:40 am 

I work with the National register all the time and the simple answer is that until recently the museums (mostly volunteer) did not have the time or interest to do nominations.

in most cases there is no money attached to having a car, building or whatever on the Register. An exception is Coloardo where the State's gambeling
money can be directed to Register items.

Lately, the forms and paperwork are now computerized and word processable. This has helped a good deal.

I do not see any across the board level of significance for the noinations. The list of Nominated resources is mainly stations.

I am working on th nomination for an Interurban
Railway and some of the attendent rolling stock.
The 60 pound steel rails date back to 1913.

Ted

ted_miles@nps.gov

Post subject: National Register eligibility
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:53 am 

"Why are some pieces of equipment worthy of the national register, while others are not?"

Places, structures (including rolling stock), and artifacts are nominated to the Register by individuals, so a structure will not be listed until someone goes through the trouble of making the nomination. In each state a historic preservation officer is charged with passing on the nominations to the U.S. Department of the Interior. A standard form must be filled out, including a verifiable history of the subject. State officials then determine if the item is historically "significant" at the "national," "state," or "local" level. This official in your state can supply you with the forms, and advice in how to do enough research to support the nomination.

Structures may be listed by anyone, not just their owners. Listing confers no funds or special protections, except that federal agencies are enjoined from demolishing eligible (not just listed) sites, unless there's no practical alternative (such as replacing a historic bridge). Listing, or eligibility for listing, is sometimes a condition of some grant programs, and it lends notice and respectability to an artifact or project, so owners of historic railroad sites or equipment should try to list their items if they're eligible. An owner's rights in historic property are not reduced by listing; it's not the same as a local historic-district ordinance.

In our case, Pere Marquette 1225 was determined significant at the state level, as one of only two Michigan super-power locomotives still left in this state.

Aarne Frobom
The Steam Railroading Institute
P. O. Box 665
Owosso, MI 48867-0665

Post subject: Re: National Register eligibility
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:11 pm 

If you go thru the Federal Web Site you might notice the Lorain & West Virginia Railway Historic District. How that was obtained and what it took to get it make quite a story ... but that will have to wait for more time to pass to achieve a true historic perspective !

lamontdc@adelphia.net

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:25 pm 

>>. . .it seems there are a lot of deserving pieces of equipment (in my mind anyway) around that are not listed. Any info anyone has to share on this subject would be greatly appreciated.<<

If you get a copy of the Historic Information Form you will see the kinds of facts that are required for a listing today. (As opposed to the very brief applications for such famous locomotives as the Texas and the General, for example.) Either the National Park Service or your state historic preservation officer should be able to get you copies of successful applications for rolling stock similiar to yours.

One key to selecting the item of rolling stock you want to try to list are the questions about the significance of the object. That is, what makes it important? Then, it will be a matter of making your case with facts you can prove.

Depending on the kinds of nominations coming out of your state before yours, you may have to educate your state historic preservation staff in the process, for they may be more used to handling sites and buildings than historic objects (especially rail cars and locomotives).

You will also see that if you have a cohesive collection of rolling stock, you can write it up as a group rather than trying to get each item nominated separately.

In the process--if your state is typical--you will need to get some endorsements (in the form of letters) from various community leaders to append to your report and your photographs. While the need for these letters is more obvious when you are nominating a public/private building or an entire neighborhood, it's still good to get letters from other historical societies, the mayor, the head of the county commission, and others who support your project.

Be prepared for the project to take several years from the time you start collecting data until the moment the listing is announced. Your state board may be backed up and it is possible that all of your paperwork might sit for many months waiting for action.

Good luck,

--Malcolm

malcolmrcampbell@cs.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:58 pm 

The best endorsement for purposes of listing a property or piece of equipment is that of a recognized authority on your local history. Preferably that person should be an officer of the local or state historical commission. They know what the requirements are concerning documentation and can certify that the information being presented has been properly researched, verified (if possible) and is correct.

awalker2002@comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:33 pm 

> The best endorsement for purposes of listing
> a property or piece of equipment is that of
> a recognized authority on your local
> history. Preferably that person should be an
> officer of the local or state historical
> commission. They know what the requirements
> are concerning documentation and can certify
> that the information being presented has
> been properly researched, verified (if
> possible) and is correct.

Typically, this would be true. And, anyone trying to get an object, site or sturcture onto the National Register should try to find such a person. When it comes to railcars and locomotives, that person is likely to have little knowledge about the accuracy of the information; if they write a letter, they might simply mention some of the key points the rail museum made in its request for such a letter. Good validation, though, to get this kind of support.

--Malcolm

malcolmrcampbell@cs.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:42 am 

> I ran across the web page in the following
> link the other day, and it got me thinking.
> Why are some pieces of equipment worthy of
> the national register, while others are not?
> It's a pretty diverse list, but it seems
> there are a lot of deserving pieces of
> equipment (in my mind anyway) around that
> are not listed. Any info anyone has to share
> on this subject would be greatly
> appreciated.

> Allan

Just to let you know, I do plan to update this information before the end of the year. Thanks to those of you who have sent me info on recent additions, and please continue to do so.

Railway Preservation Resources
jsmatlak@earthlink.net