It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Los Angeles Railway Cars at Poway and Travel Town
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:51 pm 

Frank Hicks recently posted information about the sale of LaRY 57 from Poway, California for sale at Ozark.

Quote:
My impression was that the three extant cars (the Poway car and two derelicts owned by Travel Town) had started out as 54, 57, and 59, later to become 9306, 9311, and 9411 respectively. The P-MRR history of their car 57 states that rather than ex-LARy 57 it's actually ex-54, which suggests that my history is wrong. Apparently P-MRR has traced the history of their car through a private owner and a couple of successive movie studios right back to its sale to Lasky Studios in 1926 as car 9306.

Then that begs the question: what are the two cars at Travel Town? Are they 57 and 59, or is at least one of those an entirely different car - maybe 9307, originally LARy 51, which is known to have survived at least briefly post-LARy? Anyone know for certain?

Can anyone provide further clarification on these cars?

Wesley

Post subject: Re: Los Angeles Railway Cars at Poway and Travel Town
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:01 am 

Okay, I'll take a stab at this one. All of my info comes from the Yellow Cars Of LA by Jim Walker and earlier rosters from Interurbans.

51 to Material Car 9307. Photo of it in Yellow Cars book with caption of it being 9307 but unable to see number on it. FWIW, it's identical to 9306 (54). Maybe a typo?

52 (orig 415), to Material Car 9316, to Tower Car 9352.

25 (Stockton 1896) to Hose Bridge Car 9410, to Rubbish Car 9451. Photo of it in Yellow Cars book with a clear view of the number.

It is possible that the 9307 is really 9306 which was originally 54 and was sold to Lasky studios in 1926. Given all the alterations that these cars went through in conversion to work car service and then by the studios, I doubt if there's any way of determining which is which. Not to mention the two that went to Travel Town. Both of those went to high schools for rebuilding, one was apparently poorly done as they've erected a chain link fence around it and the other never was rebuilt with the frame stashed behind the parking lot.

Just to clarify, the two photos I mentioned are of the cars stored on Lindley Bothwell's property.