It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Home For Main Line Steam
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:00 pm 

ironeagle2006 wrote:
I would have to go out on a limb and say the Iowa Interstate and here is why. 1 already running a QJ 2-10-2 so have the experience of running steam now. 2 close to 4 major cities within 4 hours of Chicago Minn/St Paul Omaha and KC to various spots on their network. 3 located on or close to a major Interstate that being I-80 so returning passengers to starting point of a 1 way excursion is not as hard with charter buses. 4 could offer both high speed mainline and lower speed branch line runs with their line down to Peoria IL. Also could offer destination excursions to places like Starved Rock in Illinois. Lastly with the new group setting up shop in Slivis this would be the logical place for them to run on for both 3985 and 5511.

I don't think Ioawa Interstate still owns the QJ's but you're right... this will likely be the place for Mainline Steam in the middle of the USA. We need to find a place on the West Coast for the Portland engines and the 3751 to run!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:10 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
We need to find a place on the West Coast for the Portland engines and the 3751 to run!
As for 700/4449, it'd have to be really close to Portland. The city still owns them both and they're not going to let them stray far from home for a long period of time (yes, I know 4449 got as far away as Miami in the 70s, but that isn't going to happen again).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:33 pm 

Went to Michigan in 2008... has something changed?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:57 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Went to Michigan in 2008... has something changed?
It wasn't gone for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:15 am 

It was 2009.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:10 am 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
I don't think Ioawa Interstate still owns the QJ's but you're right... this will likely be the place for Mainline Steam in the middle of the USA.

It would seem that the underlying point of the original blog post was that a nonprofit step up to buy a railroad to run steam on. I can't help but think that the Iowa Interstate is a little too prosperous for that proposal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:33 am 

I guess in dipping back into this, would an American equivalent to something like the Great Central make sense? And not just entirely for steam either. I think your biggest issue is finding a either mothballed or intact section of roadbed that was at one point double track that you could reinstitute a section. The problem with reinstituting some track is that most of the ones near areas that could support the ridership have either be abandoned and built on, or turned into trails. Part of the old Central Mass line between Hudson and Waltham might work, but that was single track and is now a trail... Which frankly is somewhat disappointing given that you pass through some rather nice scenery and connect to two decent size town centers on either end.

As for an intact section of double track line? Well, most of those are still in use where they're near areas that could have potential ridership nearby...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:52 am 

Quote:
"I guess in dipping back into this, would an American equivalent to something like the Great Central make sense?"

Ain't much doubt where that would be. On the virtually-abandoned PRR high-speed main toward Chicago, double track suitable for T1s in their famed stomping grounds, with the terminal and servicing facility in... Fort Wayne.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:49 am 

LiveWire wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
I don't think Ioawa Interstate still owns the QJ's but you're right... this will likely be the place for Mainline Steam in the middle of the USA.

It would seem that the underlying point of the original blog post was that a nonprofit step up to buy a railroad to run steam on. I can't help but think that the Iowa Interstate is a little too prosperous for that proposal.

and if you've been following the discussion we've also been talking about steam-friendly "mainline" railroads that already exist or could potentially exist.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:59 pm 

Quote:
"and if you've been following the discussion we've also been talking about steam-friendly "mainline" railroads that already exist or could potentially exist."

If that were the actual discussion, it would be titled "A Main Line Home for Steam".

The discussion is about locations that, for one reason or another, are suitable for proper excursion service with large steam locomotives, or would be friendly toward operating such steam locomotives on their property.

The Iowa Interstate in this context may qualify because it has obviously operated steam power of the subject size, and its ownership should be at least sympathetic to well-run operations.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:07 pm 

Infiltrate the management of any Class II railroad. But railroads won't hire railfans, so make sure to change the I've Been Working on the Railroad ring tone on your phone before the interview, and if you are asked your opinion about scrapping locomotives or track respond with something like "depends on the price of scrap metal". Then when you are hired have a rational argument ready for why they should run steam excursions despite the high insurance rates and risk of a catastrophic accident.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:52 pm 

Since WHEN won't railroads hire railfans ?? It just ain't so, however, railroads do their best not to hire DIZZY railfans...

Sammy King

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:14 pm 

QJdriver wrote:
Since WHEN won't railroads hire railfans ?? It just ain't so, however, railroads do their best not to hire DIZZY railfans...

That's what I was told about managers, that they want people who will improve the bottom line, not someone who wants to prevent abandonments or retiring old units, or operating steam unless there is some angle to justify it. If improving the bottom line means scrapping or selling every inch of rail and going into the chocolate business (I am thinking of the former IC Industries) so be it. The crafts are probably different.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:22 pm 

QJdriver wrote:
Since WHEN won't railroads hire railfans ??
When I was looking for a post-military job, I talked with a UP recruiter and he specifically told me that they don't hire train fans.
He said the reason was railfans don't stay for long once they realize it isn't as fun as they assumed it'd be.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:34 pm 

In my 17 years with BN, Texas State RR, and Ferrovias Guatemala, I've met and worked with, and worked for PLENTY of railfans. In my travels I've been treated almost entirely with great professional courtesy by employees on all levels that were into it and sympathized with my interest. Do we put the hobby before earning a living ?? No. Are we ever mindful that trains kill ?? Of course.

Sammy King

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next