It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mechanical lubricator needed
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:00 pm 

A nice used but good two-feed Manzel or something like it would suit just fine. Anybody have one to spare?

Dave

irondave@bellsouth.net

Post subject: Re: mechanical lubricator needed
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:08 pm 

Say, If you happen across a single feed McCollough cast iron lubricator (one that still works), in your search, I'd be very interested.

steamnut@ptd.net

Post subject: Re: mechanical lubricator needed *PIC*
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:21 pm 

> A nice used but good two-feed Manzel or
> something like it would suit just fine.
> Anybody have one to spare?

> Dave

Dave,

I ended up purchasing the steam pump I first found at the chemical plant, and cosmetically restoring it. I decided not display it with the lubricator and pushrod because I don't want one the boys to get hurt falling on it. Is it what you are looking for?

I planned on storing the extra parts in a box in the garage, but if it will return a steamer to life, that is a good cause.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Steam Lizards - Reciprocating Steam Pumps
james1@pernet.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:47 am 

Thanks James, if it has two oil feeds coming out of it it is exactly what we need. In the picture itlooks like one but I can't be sure.

Dave

irondave@bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:49 am 

> Thanks James, if it has two oil feeds coming
> out of it it is exactly what we need. In the
> picture itlooks like one but I can't be
> sure.

> Dave

Dave,

You should see a better picture below. You are probably right; steam pumps only need one feed; this one seems to have a plunger, a sight glass, and a feed across the middle. There's a filler cap behind them, and the rocker lever in the back.

I don't know a thing about lubricators. Can the sight glass in the middle be replaced with another feed?

Sorry if it is not what you need. Best of luck in your search.

-James Hefner

Steam Lizards - Reciprocating Steam Pumps
james1@pernet.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:29 pm 

Yes, that is a single fed - the blanking plate next to the pump section could be removed and replaced with a second pump if I had one.

Appreciate the time and trouble.

Dave

irondave@bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:05 pm 

Would a new one be heavy enough? I purchase these for duplex and triplex plunger pumps all the time. They usually have four or five spots with blanking plates for the unnecessary slots. You might even make the new plunger assemblies work on the unit James has.

Regards,

Michael

> Yes, that is a single fed - the blanking
> plate next to the pump section could be
> removed and replaced with a second pump if I
> had one.

> Appreciate the time and trouble.

> Dave

mdw66@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:50 pm 

James, I think you may have a McCord pump there, not a Manzell. If so, they don't work quite as well, anyway.

steamnut@ptd.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:07 pm 

> James, I think you may have a McCord pump
> there, not a Manzell. If so, they don't work
> quite as well, anyway.

Allen,

Thanks. I didn't know what it was.

I looked around at some of the other derelict steam lizards around the plant. The big Worthington Duplex fire pump I am trying to donate to a museum also has a McCord type SF (single feed?) lubricator.

It turns out one of the big OIL WELL duplexes has a triple feed lubricator; you can just see it in the picture I took below. However, the fate of these pumps are still in limbo; the plant is trying to find a reseller who will want to buy them and the other retired lizards before scrapping or donating them.

-James Hefner

Steam Lizards
james1@pernet.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:35 pm 

The 'problem' with the McCord is that the pump's check balls will tend to "float" with cold steam oil, so that you only get a partial stroke worth of oil (they work GREAT with motor grade oils). I'm searching for a cheap source for off the rack springs to help hold them in their seats (most of the local hardware and automotive parts type places aren't very helpful because a McCord lubricator isn't in their computer :b ), I MAY end up just winding my own.

Isn't it ironic, there was just a fellow on Harry's old engine telling another guy that the smaller pumps were worth a bit of money, and the larger ones were worth next to nothing....
BTW, If you stumble across a cheap 2x1-1/2x2 (single or duplex) I have a home for it :)

steamnut@ptd.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:15 pm 

> Isn't it ironic, there was just a fellow on
> Harry's old engine telling another guy that
> the smaller pumps were worth a bit of money,
> and the larger ones were worth next to
> nothing....

It's true. From a preservation point of view, I think it is the same irony as a locomotive builder's plate, number plate, whistle, etc. going for big bucks, while whole locomotives go begging for buyers. Or that steam tugboat that recently went unsold on e-bay, with the owner deciding he could get more scrapping it and selling the parts.

I've seen several 3 x 2 x 3 Worthingtons like yours go for $65-$350 on e-bay. Pumps this size and smaller weigh around a 100 lbs or less, and be shipped UPS. The bigger pumps have to be shipped motor freight; then when you get that 500-600 lb pump home, how are you going to unload it, and what are you going to do with it?

Then you get those who think they are worth more than they really are, or are asking "fair market value". There was a beautiful 3 x 2 x 3 Worthington that the owner was asking $1,100 for on a traction engine noticeboard, and did not have his reserve met on e-bay. An equipment reseller in Canada has had a Gardner-Denver 10 x 4½ x 10 duplex for 10 years now because they want $4,000 for it.

> BTW, If you stumble across a cheap 2x1-1/2x2
> (single or duplex) I have a home for it :)

I have the impression you watch e-bay just as I do; I have not seen any that size for sale recently. There is a Worthington for sale on e-bay right now with no reserve; it is in North Carolina. It is about the size of mine.

BTW, below you see the steam pump I first saw cosmetically restored and on display at my home. One down, 20 more to go...

-James Hefner

Steam Lizards
james1@pernet.net