It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Midwest Railway Preservation Society and other stuff
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:43 pm 

On my way back from a trip to Kentucky/Ohio on Monday, I had the opportunity to stop by Cleveland, and the Roundhouse home of the Midwest Railway Preservation Society. Was a good day to visit, as they were moving some equipment around and I arrived in time to see them pull their NKP coach out of the roundhouse. GTW 4070 was apart in the roundhouse

Attachments:
File comment: GTW 4070 apart in the roundhouse.
gtw4070.jpg
gtw4070.jpg [ 193.37 KiB | Viewed 9684 times ]
File comment: NKP 62 and the 5TM Trackmobile.
nkp62tm.jpg
nkp62tm.jpg [ 162.46 KiB | Viewed 9684 times ]
File comment: NKP coach 62 has just been pulled from the roundhouse.
nkp62.jpg
nkp62.jpg [ 189.67 KiB | Viewed 9684 times ]

Post subject: Re: Midwest Railway Preservation Society and other stuff
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:50 pm 

Also stopped by Conneaut Ohio to see the NKP 755 on display at the station. The main reason for the trip was a roller coaster trip, but managed to also see the Railway Museum in Bowling Green Kentucky at the L&N station. They have a nice E8A on display with a short passenger train. We were also given a special tour of the shop at Kings Island where they operate a pair of 36" gauge Crown 4-4-0's.

Attachments:
File comment: NKP Berkshire 755 on display at Conneaut Ohio.
nkp755.jpg
nkp755.jpg [ 241.83 KiB | Viewed 9668 times ]
File comment: L&N E8A 796 was originally a C&NW unit.
ln796.jpg
ln796.jpg [ 129.3 KiB | Viewed 9668 times ]
File comment: Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad departs the station heading under Diamondback.
kimv19.jpg
kimv19.jpg [ 187.57 KiB | Viewed 9668 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:58 pm 

And a few final pics from the trip. Lodi Station is an outlet mall not far from Cleveland. They have a 2 ft gauge operation set up around the mall. THey were only running one oval of track the day I visited, and it doesn't look like they run much more than that. All level crossings have lights and gates too!! There was a diner on a hill with a former N&W steam locomotive coach and caboose. Buckeye diner I think it was. Tender was built on a former pilot truck, and locomotive was one of the ones rescued from a scrap yard a few years back. And the final stop was at the Lakeshore Museum in Northeast. I always stop here whenever I'm passing by. Always something to see.

Anyways, that's about all.

Attachments:
File comment: Lodi Station outlet mall has this 2ft gauge railway running around the mall. They operate 2 trains, but today had the Severn-Lamb 4-4-0 running.
lodi1.jpg
lodi1.jpg [ 173.35 KiB | Viewed 9657 times ]
File comment: And also found this ex N&W 2-8-0 with faux tender (using a pilot truck) at Belleville Ohio.
917.jpg
917.jpg [ 144.2 KiB | Viewed 9657 times ]
File comment: The Fireless 0-6-0 at the Lakeshore Railway Historical Society in Northeast Pa.
fireless.jpg
fireless.jpg [ 141.38 KiB | Viewed 9657 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:02 pm 

Ken--

Any photos of the smooth-sided Budd car seen in the right background of the GTW #4070 photo?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:11 pm 

Sorry, I don't. It was difficult to get a shot of it. Here's a few more from the yard though. They had some neat pieces of equipment around there. Was definitely glad I stopped by.

Ken

Attachments:
File comment: Open hopper converted to a covered hopper.
hopper.jpg
hopper.jpg [ 209.18 KiB | Viewed 9635 times ]
File comment: Found the trucks on this baggage to be quite interesting.
baggage.jpg
baggage.jpg [ 183.48 KiB | Viewed 9635 times ]
File comment: Privately owned diesel in for some contract work.
708.jpg
708.jpg [ 190.32 KiB | Viewed 9635 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:17 pm 

Thanks, Ken!

Anyone know the identity of this car??

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:30 am 

And under the "other stuff" of the subject line, the covered hopper (#7x2780) with some damage on the end, is surely an interesting old car. Anyone have information on it, including the original owning railroad and when built? Also, does MRPS intend to eventually restore it?

Les

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:54 pm 

Short round-roof baggage car is a B&O car, with "Mt. Clare XLT" trucks.

"XLT" was the symbol for a General Car Foreman named Leo Tomlinson, who would make his "mark" on stuff with a chalked "X" and his intials. He had a number of designs of car parts, such as these trucks. The previous was related to me 35 years ago by Bill Corrick, another old-time B&O car department guy.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:28 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
And under the "other stuff" of the subject line, the covered hopper (#7x2780) with some damage on the end, is surely an interesting old car. Anyone have information on it, including the original owning railroad and when built? Also, does MRPS intend to eventually restore it?

Les

Mr. Jones states in his comment to the photo of this car that it is an "open hopper converted to a covered hopper". If this is info about the car from MRHS, then it seems that they must have the heritage of the car. If it was an open hopper, it was a unusual design in itself. Sure would like some info.

Les

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:53 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:

Les

Mr. Jones states in his comment to the photo of this car that it is an "open hopper converted to a covered hopper". If this is info about the car from MRHS, then it seems that they must have the heritage of the car. If it was an open hopper, it was a unusual design in itself. Sure would like some info.

Les

Didn't the SAL or ACL have a series of phosphate cars like this? I remember that Ambroid made a model.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:44 am 

wilkinsd wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:

Les

Les

Didn't the SAL or ACL have a series of phosphate cars like this? I remember that Ambroid made a model.

I believe there was an old thread here on RyPN of those SAL/ACL cars (including some photos), and as I recall, those cars had smooth sides. No "outside braces" such as on this car at MRPS. I don't know about an Ambroid model, but if there was one, then historic information on what railroad those cars ran on, and other info, would probably have been included with their offering.

Les

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:37 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
I believe there was an old thread here on RyPN of those SAL/ACL cars (including some photos), and as I recall, those cars had smooth sides. No "outside braces" such as on this car at MRPS. I don't know about an Ambroid model, but if there was one, then historic information on what railroad those cars ran on, and other info, would probably have been included with their offering.

Les

Les, here's a picture of the Ambroid model:

http://www.trainweb.org/ambroidkits/trains/woodkits/pics/5000-1/09.jpg

It's an older model, and no historical information of yet.

It's an interesting conversion, whatever it is. The only other thing I could think of is a cement car.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:04 pm 

wilkinsd wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:

Les

David -

Thanks for the photo link for the Ambroid model. Sure is interesting; almost makes me wish I was still modeling in HO! In looking at that photo, there are obviously no hatches in the roof of the car, but what look like side doors in the wood addition to the original steel car. Boy, sure wish one of those Atlantic Coast Line cars had been preserved! Imagine ACL #8170, or a sister, running in a vintage photo freight!

Les

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:48 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
wilkinsd wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:

Les

David -

Thanks for the photo link for the Ambroid model. Sure is interesting; almost makes me wish I was still modeling in HO! In looking at that photo, there are obviously no hatches in the roof of the car, but what look like side doors in the wood addition to the original steel car. Boy, sure wish one of those Atlantic Coast Line cars had been preserved! Imagine ACL #8170, or a sister, running in a vintage photo freight!

Les

Ambroid made the kits in S and O scale as well.

I shot an email to the Midwest Group asking about the car. No response yet, but when I do, I will post it.

I also plan to scour my Car Builders' Cyclopedias later to see if I can find an example car.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:09 pm 

David -

A friend sent me this picture to show a brakeman on the roof walk of a boxcar back in 1960 forwarding hand signals to the engineer of T&P GP7 #1118, a long lost practice these days:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 252&nseq=0

What really caught my eye however, was the covered hopper car in the consist. Looks like it could be a sister to the one at MRPS! Unfortunately, the angle and distance preclude getting the railroad name of the car. Rats!

Les